Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5624

Swedish health authorities have ruled that gender-based abortion is not illegal according to current law and can not therefore be stopped, according to a report by Sveriges Television.

The Local reported in February that a woman from Eskilstuna in southern Sweden had twice had abortions after finding out the gender of the child.

The woman, who already had two daughters, requested an amniocentesis in order to allay concerns about possible chromosome abnormalities. At the same time, she also asked to know the foetus's gender.

Doctors at Mälaren Hospital expressed concern and asked Sweden’s National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) to draw up guidelines on how to handle requests in the future in which they "feel pressured to examine the foetus’s gender" without having a medically compelling reason to do so.

The board has now responded that such requests and thus abortions can not be refused and that it is not possible to deny a woman an abortion up to the 18th week of pregnancy, even if the foetus's gender is the basis for the request.
http://www.thelocal.se/19392.html
I'm all for killing babies and am pro choice but aborting them based on gender is a tad bit far. Meh not my Swedish bastard children, thoughts?
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6613|London
Well it's lame sure but I rather people had the choice.

They're the parents, they'll have to raise the kid, if they can't love a boy/girl then it's probs best to let them abort safely and legally.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5635|Vacationland

Aries_37 wrote:

They're the parents, they'll have to raise the kid, if they can't love a boy/girl then it's probs best to let them abort safely and legally.
^agreed
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6744

Macbeth wrote:

I'm all for killing babies
You see, this is why I can't take anything you say seriously.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6191|what

I'd rather see hormone theraphy to change the gender of the child over an abortion.

Bad decision imo. And I'm very pro-choice when it comes to abortions. But the limit is when their is no threat to the health and saftey of the mother.

Wanting to have a girl or boy could be based on nothing more than a whim.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6381|California
I'm very pro-choice, but this is essentially below China. At least in China they'll have the baby and put it up in adoption..no offence China.

EDIT: And will do abortions based on reason's other than gender.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2009-05-12 21:19:35)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6713|Canberra, AUS

xBlackPantherx wrote:

I'm very pro-choice, but this is essentially below China. At least in China they'll have the baby and put it up in adoption..no offence China.

EDIT: And will do abortions based on reason's other than gender.
Not always, infanticide is rampant in parts. Goes hand in hand with corruption, usually.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6449|'Murka

Aries_37 wrote:

If they can't love a child based solely on the sex of that child, they shouldn't be parents at all.

I'm pro-choice, but that is fucking horrendous. Unconscionable.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6713|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

If they can't love a child based solely on the sex of that child, they shouldn't be parents at all.

Unfortunately, that's almost a blanket mindset in most of China, India and South east asia. It's not outright misogyny or anything like that, just a general belief that male kids are better - note the up-and-coming massive "bachelor underclass" of twenty million or so single males in China because of the one-child policy and the skewing of gender birth ratios as a result. Not nice, but not uncommon.

Last edited by Spark (2009-05-13 02:52:53)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
+1,182|6449|'Murka

Spark wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

Unfortunately, that's almost a blanket mindset in most of China, India and South east asia. It's not outright misogyny or anything like that, just a general belief that male kids are better - note the up-and-coming massive "bachelor underclass" of twenty million or so single males in China because of the one-child policy and the skewing of gender birth ratios as a result. Not nice, but not uncommon.
Believe me...I know. You kind of study that aspect of Chinese culture when you adopt from there. Beautiful kids cast off/killed because they aren't boys. Truly a self-defeating approach.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6576|Long Island, New York

FEOS wrote:

Exactly.

This isn't like Gattaca where they can just choose the gender beforehand - this is finding out and then not giving it a life for that reason alone. There was nothing wrong with the child - it wasn't a product of rape or incest, nor would it's birth cause any harm to the mother.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6586|San Diego, CA, USA
Europe...the culture of death.  I guess soon you'll be able to kill your grandparents because it costs to much to keep them alive.
FEOS
+1,182|6449|'Murka

Harmor wrote:

Europe...the culture of death.  I guess soon you'll be able to kill your grandparents because it costs to much to keep them alive.
Impossible. They have the miracle of universal health care. People don't die and live wonderful lives full of puppies and butterflies.
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6813|Moscow, Russia
ah, whatever. whoever's getting an abortion, no matter how early, is doing considerable damage to herself, potentially hampering her ability to give birth to healthy children in the future. now, there are techniques - artifical fertilization and impregnation - which allow for gender and other stuff about the future child to be known in advance. so, ffs, whoever's dumb enough to be repeatedly screwing themselves with 'gender-based' abortions when there's a perfectly safe alternative available should be allowed to do so. the more of those cretins loose the ability to multiply in the process - the better.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Lai
+186|6189
Introducing this practise in third world countries that are predominantly strict patriarchall, would be the greatest alternative to birth control. Just one generation and they'll all have died out
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6613|London

AussieReaper wrote:

I'd rather see hormone theraphy to change the gender of the child over an abortion.

Bad decision imo. And I'm very pro-choice when it comes to abortions. But the limit is when their is no threat to the health and saftey of the mother.

Personally I think hormone therapy to force a child to change gender is worse than not being born. Although that's a whole other argument.

Even as it stands now there is nothing to stop morally absent parents aborting on a whim. The mother just has to say that she believes she will go mad if she has this child and you can legally abort at any stage of the pregnancy (in the UK at least anyway).

Concerning the situation in China I doubt the governement cares and I doubt the people care. It's a side effect that will just propagate further population control in the future- good for the globe and good for China lol.
Lai
+186|6189

Aries_37 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Personally I think hormone therapy to force a child to change gender is worse than not being born.
Yes because hormone therapy can never change a childs gender. It may make a girl feel more boyish or a boy more girlish, it may change some physical traits, but other than that,.. There are some known experimenst with these and they all ended in utter fail. You can't change the fact that a guy has an X and an Y and a girl has two XX's, at least not just with hormone therapy.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6723|Espoo, Finland

FEOS wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Impossible. They have the miracle of universal health care. People don't die and live wonderful lives full of puppies and butterflies.
America, fuck yeah! You seem like two smart fellows, can I hang with you?

AussieReaper wrote:

That's fucking horrible!

Last edited by Gawwad (2009-05-13 12:01:47)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6719|Disaster Free Zone
I don't think you should need any reason to get an abortion. It's just another form of birth control.

And reaper you're fucking weird.... hormone replacement seriously wtf.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-05-13 12:26:51)

FEOS
+1,182|6449|'Murka

Gawwad wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Harmor wrote:

America, fuck yeah! You seem like two smart fellows, can I hang with you?
No. Euros don't believe in deodorant.
― Albert Einstein

Lai
+186|6189

DrunkFace wrote:

I don't think you should need any reason to get an abortion. It's just another form of birth control.
No, people should take responsibility prior to conception, not whine aftewards.
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX

Lai wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I agree with Lai on this one.  Most of the rest of you are making little to no sense in this topic; I am hoping it is intentional (just to be funny.  Well, trying to be).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6810|PNW

If abortion is already legal by whim, I honestly don't see what difference this makes.

Lady: I'm here to kill my baby.
Nurse: Have a seat and fill out these forms.
*no problem*

Lady: I'm here to kill my baby boy.
Nurse: GET OUT YOU PHILISTINE!
*DENIED*

Eh?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6719|Disaster Free Zone

Lai wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Why?

Not to mention a lot of people already do.
Lai
+186|6189

DrunkFace wrote:

Lai wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Why?

Not to mention a lot of people already do.
Because you are basically killing an unborn child. Now, just for your information, I am an atheist and do not share the Vatican's point of view on abortion. I do support abortion as an emergency measure. I even support abbortion for medical reasons (e.g. kid will be retard) and advocate stimcell research including the use of aborted foetusses. However, aborting a child for the sole reason that you were to damn lazy to strap up, imo is 200% fail! And I've never made any comments, regarding the people that already do.

If you are the purely practical kind of guy, than you should also be ready to accept these purely practical arguments:

1. At least here in Holland, abortions are wholly or partially covered by abortions. Abortions cost money, so that means I'll have to pay for your goddamned laziness.

2. Two, it is a common misconception that abortions are "routine procedures". They are quite severe medical procedures, providing great stress, both physically as well as mentally to the will-not-be-mother. Like all quite severe medical procedures, they come with the risc of complications. As such they should be avoided at all costs! Surely I wouldn't want my girlfriend to undergo this, perhaps even at a regular basis, because I couldn't be bothered.

Last edited by Lai (2009-05-16 11:25:25)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard