Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – The United Nations called the killing of hundreds of ethnic Tamil civilians in a weekend artillery attack in northern Sri Lanka a "bloodbath" amid reports Monday that the war zone was heavily shelled for a second straight night.

The initial artillery attack — which lasted from Saturday evening into Sunday morning — killed at least 378 civilians and wounded more than a thousand more, according to a health official inside rebel-controlled territory.

A rebel-linked Web site blamed the attack on the government, while the military accused the beleaguered Tamil Tigers of briefly shelling their own territory to gain international sympathy and force a cease-fire.
https://i41.tinypic.com/2d98g89.jpg
Victims of a shell attack in Sri Lanka waited outside a makeshift hospital in an area controlled by Tamil Tigers.

Despicable in any sense. The blame game sounds all too familiar.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

while the military accused the beleaguered Tamil Tigers of briefly shelling their own territory to gain international sympathy and force a cease-fire.
Worst government excuse ever.

Anyway sure hundreds of people have died and nothing will change that the only hope now is that the Tamils will be totally wiped out and the country for once will have stability.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

I know enough of this world to realize that when people are desperate shelling their own is not out of the realm of possibility. That type of propaganda driven warfare has been around for a couple millenia.

I do not know exactly what happened, nor am I pretending to.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
I believe it was the Tigers that started suicide bombings.

I feel bad for the people, but the Tigers are a military force co-habitating with civilians.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

ATG wrote:

I believe it was the Tigers that started suicide bombings.

I feel bad for the people, but the Tigers are a military force co-habitating with civilians.
The Tamils have the Black Tiger Commando group who will perform suicide attacks if required. They had that thing not too long ago where the filled one of their planes with explosives and tried to crash them into buildings. I can't remember if they were shot down or hit their targets.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Macbeth wrote:

while the military accused the beleaguered Tamil Tigers of briefly shelling their own territory to gain international sympathy and force a cease-fire.

Anyway sure hundreds of people have died and nothing will change that the only hope now is that the Tamils will be totally wiped out and the country for once will have stability.
you'd be surprised what rebels are willing to do to garner support.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6647
My bestfriend is there as we speak. Her dad is involved in the peace talks and just had his life threatened.
san4
The Mas
+311|6686|NYC, a place to live
The world doesn't care unless it's Israelis doing it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

san4 wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Poseidon wrote:

san4 wrote:

brown people killing other brown people just isn't news I guess...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

S.Lythberg wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

san4 wrote:

see: compton
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Poseidon wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

see: the news here

gangland violence comes after the weather, nobody cares anymore
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

S.Lythberg wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

exactly, people only care when innocent people get shot

but rightly so
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Poseidon wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

exactly, people only care when innocent people get shot

but rightly so
true

But in this thread it's more of the meatshield tactic that seems to be growing more popular with each conflict.
13rin
+977|6477

Kmarion wrote:

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – The United Nations called the killing of hundreds of ethnic Tamil...
...lame game sounds all too familiar.
So the UN and the Euros are going to do what about it?

Appears these guys have a bit of a civil war going on.  Or this is a beaut of a model state for what happens when fanatics are allowed access to explosives, machine guns and an impressionable youth.  I bet birth control is lacking there, so no shortage of combatants -just breed a new generation.  Voila' your own miniature Ireland/Israel.  Would be a beautiful place to visit, if the people weren't so friggin' psycho.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Do what? It's such a cluster, wouldn't know where to start.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
Bump. Apparently it's pretty much over now, the rebels have been defeated

But I managed to find this on another website, pretty crazy stuff. A flash animation/map of the war/progress. It's like......some dude made this like the war is a videogame or something, some crazy yet intelligent mofo's out there on that island...

http://www.cyberlk.com/defencemap/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Mekstizzle wrote:

Bump. Apparently it's pretty much over now, the rebels have been defeated

But I managed to find this on another website, pretty crazy stuff. A flash animation/map of the war/progress. It's like......some dude made this like the war is a videogame or something, some crazy yet intelligent mofo's out there on that island...

http://www.cyberlk.com/defencemap/
The Tamil's were quite a strange group. They were terrorist/militants but they had their own air corps and navy and uniform (if you could call a few boats and planes those).
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
It was alot more of a conventional military outfit than most people think, which is why a situation like this with the civilians happened in the first place, you wouldn't get something like this with an unconventional style war, they're more like the rebels in places like South America. Just that they also had a knack for doing suicide bombings etc.. infact I think they were the one's to invent the whole idea of the "suicide vest" or something
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Macbeth wrote:

not in the slightest a bad excuse, its in fact quite plausible.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
they all have cyanide pills btw, they threatened mass suicide.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
Sri Lanka carrying on with the fighting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8054826.stm
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
So much for a ceasefire. Leader of the Tamils dead, unconfirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8055015.stm
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

My bestfriend is there as we speak. Her dad is involved in the peace talks and just had his life threatened.
Kinda weird but one of my high-school teachers has family there right now. I hope they get through fine. He emigrated to Australia after watching one of his childhood friends get blown up at a bus stop. Never found out which side was responsible for it. Think it was the Tigers though.

He had a good job and a good life there. He just didn't want his daughters growing up with that around them.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
13rin
+977|6477
And get ready for more violence as revenge killings are about to begin.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 … pstoryview
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard