AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Zukabazuka wrote:

Then a lot pirates says
" Remove the DRM and we will buy it"
It's also a valid point. There are harsh sorts of DRM that actually interfere with the normal operation of legit computer software. Not everyone can afford a computer just for gaming and one for everything else.
To play Empire Total War you NEED a pc with an internet connection.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
From a theoretical standpoint, yes, because the original creator has the rights to every copy made (infinite copies), so any copies made without their consent (and exchanged) is stealing from them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Zukabazuka wrote:

Then a lot pirates says
" Remove the DRM and we will buy it"
It's also a valid point. There are harsh sorts of DRM that actually interfere with the normal operation of legit computer software. Not everyone can afford a computer just for gaming and one for everything else.
To play Empire Total War you NEED a pc with an internet connection.
Yes, it's gone above and beyond annoying 'insert CD' checks.

Oh, for these days:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Sales

Still had piracy problems (floppies...go figure), but look at the sales.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-15 19:40:28)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

There are equivalents for hundreds less and all you lose is the ADOBE logo. That is how you (legally) control the price and quality. Use a competitor.

Piracy is a decisions to subvert the law. If that is a decision you or I choose to make then so be it (like speeding). My only is when people try to justify what they are doing AFTER THE FACT. If you have a problem with the law then make some real noise about it.
And as argued in another thread, there are also exceptions that companies tolerate. People like to use what they already know, so I'm willing to imagine that a number of students with (fully-featured) pirated Adobe software will be using legit forms if they become professionals in the design field. That translates into more license sales. But once it becomes commercial, that's when software companies should take notice.

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Above the law? Laws may become obsolete and maybe created as a result of lobbying to create favorable situations for certain businesses. I'm not saying this thinking is a free pass, but imo being blindly "lawful good" is as foolish as being a proud thief.
Yes above the law.. no matter what you think of it, you are still operating as if you think you know what is better than what the courts have decided. Fighting a law by means of free stuff for you.. how very noble. You can dress it up any way you like, but it's still above the law (because you have decided you know better). BTW I AM NOT PASSING JUDGMENT ON THE ACT OF PIRACY. I'm saying that the justification of it seems a little too self serving. It is just my opinion. I've also defended consumers plenty on this forum. See bandwidth caps n shiz.
There's actually precedent for ignoring stupid laws.
If you want to object to the law cost why not do what we do with nearly every other product? Don't buy it. That's the way most boycotts work.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Kmarion wrote:

If you want to object to the law cost why not do what we do with nearly every other product? Don't buy it. That's the way most boycotts work.
See the 'exception clause' above.

As for games, I pretty much already do. Unless it's an A+ title, I generally wait until it's edging into the bargain bin. Heck, they sell Unreal Tournament 3 for $4 at Target.

My first post in the thread will explain things better than I'm going to type here again.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-15 20:43:25)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Spoiler (highlight to read):
we like free shit
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

"File sharing" is not illegal; people should be able to share files. Sharing copyrighted material is illegal. I think it is dangerous to make terms like "torrents" and "sharing files" become synonymous with illegal activity.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

File-sharing is not going to destroy the music/movie/tv industry.

Cassette tape recorders were going to ruin Radio stations.

VHS tape recorders were going to ruin Video stores.

Cd's were going to ruin the music industry.

DVD's the movie industry.

It hasn't happened and isn't going to by file sharing.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

File-sharing is not going to destroy the music/movie/tv industry.

Cassette tape recorders were going to ruin Radio stations.

VHS tape recorders were going to ruin Video stores.

Cd's were going to ruin the music industry.

DVD's the movie industry.

It hasn't happened and isn't going to by file sharing.
This is true

Expect more cloud computing me thinks.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard