PureFodder
+225|6287

Cybargs wrote:

Great step backwards for Britain in regards to free speech lol.
We don't even have free speech laws!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

PureFodder wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Great step backwards for Britain in regards to free speech lol.
We don't even have free speech laws!
That's not a good thing....
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
We also have an official state religion, called Christianity. You guys have no state/official religion (or even language, I think).

Yet it seems that in the real world, the church and the state are much more separated here in the UK then they are in the US.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
Hopefully after Brown's administration gets voted out Savage will be exonerated.  Amazing that there's not more hoopla when the #3 Talk Show Host in the United States is put on a list with murders and terrorists.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

We also have an official state religion, called Christianity. You guys have no state/official religion (or even language, I think).

Yet it seems that in the real world, the church and the state are much more separated here in the UK then they are in the US.
Much more? Not sure about that. Most of the connections here are vague symbols with little to no importance.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Much more? Not sure about that. Most of the connections here are vague symbols with little to no importance.
I think Mek is referring to how religion seems irreversibly connected to our social policy -- like with gay marriage, for example.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Harmor wrote:

Hopefully after Brown's administration gets voted out Savage will be exonerated.  Amazing that there's not more hoopla when the #3 Talk Show Host in the United States is put on a list with murders and terrorists.
Doubt it. I hate Brown, but I hate racists more.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I think Mek is referring to how religion seems irreversibly connected to our social policy -- like with gay marriage, for example.
But strange that our leader is not also the head of the national church...like the Queen is in England.

Odd that people living in that scenario can, with a straight face, comment on any other country's separation of church and state--much less claim that they have it when others do not.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

But strange that our leader is not also the head of the national church...like the Queen is in England.

Odd that people living in that scenario can, with a straight face, comment on any other country's separation of church and state--much less claim that they have it when others do not.
The Queen doesn't 'lead' GB.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada

FatherTed wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The Queen may not, in practice, lead the government, but by law, she has a considerable amount of power.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Doubt it. I hate Brown, but I hate racists more.
Hating racists should not justify censoring speech or banning individuals for having certain views.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

We ban extremist Muslim preachers from visiting the UK, so I have no issues extending that to Christian extremists.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6707

oug wrote:

I don't know who this guy is but I read this about him:

Savage Weiner wrote:

He has said that there are three aspects that define a society: borders, language, and culture. He founded the Paul Revere Society in 1996 with his son Russell to protest illegal immigration; he says the group's mission is to "bring together Americans who actively seek to take back our borders, our language, and our traditional culture from the liberal left corroding our great nation.
If that's what he wants, then what with him being an English-speaking white man he should fuck off back to England where his ancestors came from and leave America to its rightful owners.
Annnd who might that be?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

oug wrote:

I don't know who this guy is but I read this about him:

Savage Weiner wrote:

He has said that there are three aspects that define a society: borders, language, and culture. He founded the Paul Revere Society in 1996 with his son Russell to protest illegal immigration; he says the group's mission is to "bring together Americans who actively seek to take back our borders, our language, and our traditional culture from the liberal left corroding our great nation.
If that's what he wants, then what with him being an English-speaking white man he should fuck off back to England where his ancestors came from and leave America to its rightful owners.
Annnd who might that be?
Native Americans?
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

FatherTed wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

She is the head of state, is she not?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

That's my point, we actually have no separation. Yet in reality it seems much less so compared to the US. Religion dominates the politics of the US far more than it does over here, despite the fact that there's no separation here yet for the US there's all the bullshit about separation and liberty and all that nonsense.

It's typical US hypocrisy.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-09-06 16:16:15)

Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

We ban extremist Muslim preachers from visiting the UK, so I have no issues extending that to Christian extremists.
True, but that would seem to be more an issue of whether or not someone is actually inciting riots and encouraging violence.  Anyone doing those things can understandably be banned.

As hateful as Savage can be, I haven't heard him advocate terrorism.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

True, but that would seem to be more an issue of whether or not someone is actually inciting riots and encouraging violence.  Anyone doing those things can understandably be banned.

this

and for anyone to not know the fuckin' difference is scary enough

Last edited by lowing (2009-09-06 17:44:20)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

FEOS wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

FEOS wrote:

She is the head of state, is she not?
A figure head, perhaps. A tourist attraction mostly.

In theory, she has a lot of power; in practice, she waves at people.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Turquoise wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I don't know whether all the Muslim preachers banned have advocated terrorism (lowing will say they have), they're generally banned because of 'inciting hatred' which is certainly something Savage does.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's my point, we actually have no separation. Yet in reality it seems much less so compared to the US. Religion dominates the politics of the US far more than it does over here, despite the fact that there's no separation here yet for the US there's all the bullshit about separation and liberty and all that nonsense.

It's typical US hypocrisy.
You're confusing sound bites with policy.

People talk a lot about their religious convictions, but policy doesn't reflect that.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

People talk a lot about their religious convictions, but policy doesn't reflect that.
Apart from the current crusade in the ME?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

I'd say your unwavering support of Israel had a lot to do with religion.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA

ghettoperson wrote:

I don't know whether all the Muslim preachers banned have advocated terrorism (lowing will say they have), they're generally banned because of 'inciting hatred' which is certainly something Savage does.
Proof?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Proof of what? That I don't know whether they all advocate terrorism?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard