Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6680|Long Island, New York

RAIMIUS wrote:

The USAF approves PRK and LASIK but only if they approve it first.  If they don't sign off, it disqualifies the applicant.

I have a pilot slot, but I still need to get a waiver for vision. (I have 20/200 without my glasses.)  It's possible to get a waiver, if your vision can be corrected with glasses.

The USAF has shorter deployments and, generally, better facilities and support than the other services.  That's why people often recommend the USAF for people interested in having a family.
So would there be a way to get it while I'm in AFROTC in college?

Like, do you mean I'd have to go to an AF approved doctor? I'm definitely going to get LASIK/PRK, so...
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6553|'Murka

NeXuS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

you get to fly jets and go pew pew.

tbh
i have shitty eyesight though, so I'd probably be sitting in an air-conditioned trailer making UAVs go pew pew.
As long as your not color blind and your vision is correctable to 20/20 then you can pilot. I'm color blind, therefore i was left with 3 MOS's that i could do.
Not true. Your eyes must be no worse than 20/50 uncorrected (and no other problems like color-blindness) in order to be a pilot. If you've had refractive surgery to correct your vision to 20/20, you have to get a waiver.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6553|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

A family as in me, my wife and two kids? Or a band of brothers type thing? Yes to both, but I doubt I'd want the first one for a while.
I was referring to the first type of family. You'll get the second type regardless of which service you join.

If the family thing is important to you, I'd recommend going AF. If the family thing is not important to you, it's totally dependent on your interests and goals for your time in the military.
What makes you recommend the USAF over other branches in terms of family?
More stability for them, better services on base (generally).

When I was contemplating joining, I was torn between USMC and AF (my dad was AF). My dad understood why I wanted to go Marine, but he also knew how important having a family was to me. So he asked me that same question. One of the few things my dad was right about, turns out.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6857|US

FEOS wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

i have shitty eyesight though, so I'd probably be sitting in an air-conditioned trailer making UAVs go pew pew.
As long as your not color blind and your vision is correctable to 20/20 then you can pilot. I'm color blind, therefore i was left with 3 MOS's that i could do.
Not true. Your eyes must be no worse than 20/50 uncorrected (and no other problems like color-blindness) in order to be a pilot. If you've had refractive surgery to correct your vision to 20/20, you have to get a waiver.
I think 20/70 (correctable to 20/20) is the limit for pilot slots now.  That is what I was told about a week ago when reviewing my records at the USAFA cadet clinic (I'm applying for a waiver).  Of course, that is not the official source, but the techs here deal with pilot qual standards quite frequently.  I generally trust what they say.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-05-07 07:55:19)

FEOS
+1,182|6553|'Murka

RAIMIUS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

I think 20/70 (correctable to 20/20) is the limit for pilot slots now.  That is what I was told about a week ago when reviewing my records at the USAFA cadet clinic (I'm applying for a waiver).  Of course, that is not the official source, but the techs here deal with pilot qual standards quite frequently.  I generally trust what they say.
I'm sure the standard has changed since I applied for my waiver back in 98-99. It was great. I got selected for UPT, then got a nice letter signed by Gen Mike Ryan saying "No" to the waiver.

The key is that you don't have to have 20/20 uncorrected to be a pilot...a myth many believe.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard