nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5612|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Macbeth wrote:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20090428/
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Assembly Codes Committee Chair Joseph Lentol today announced the Assembly's passage of a legislative package to combat gun violence. The bills will enhance safety by assisting police in their efforts to investigate illegal firearms, prohibiting felons from buying guns, requiring child-proof devices on guns and banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.

"New York is one of the safest states in the nation and it must stay that way," said Silver (D-Manhattan). To achieve this, we must craft laws that prevent dangerous felons from possessing weapons while assisting law enforcement agencies as they combat gun trafficking. Although the majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens, we must ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of violent felons or children. This package contains bills that address public safety, while weighing the needs of hunters and sportspeople."
Good or bad?
banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.
What is considered an advanced weapon?
Anything that is not: muzzle-loading black powder single shot smoothbore musket/pistol.   /sarcasm (but seriously though, easily misinterpreted due to vagueness)

BTW, I think this is bad.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

You're trying to piece together the same rambling nonsense that you find on voter ballots for measures and shit. You have to cross your eyes to get it right. Responses in {}:

Macbeth wrote:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20090428/
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Assembly Codes Committee Chair Joseph Lentol today announced the Assembly's passage of a legislative package to combat gun violence. The bills will enhance safety by assisting police in their efforts to investigate illegal firearms, prohibiting felons from buying guns, requiring child-proof devices on guns and banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.

"New York is one of the safest states in the nation and it must stay that way," said Silver (D-Manhattan). To achieve this, we must craft laws that prevent dangerous felons from possessing weapons while assisting law enforcement agencies as they combat gun trafficking. Although the majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens, we must ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of violent felons or children. This package contains bills that address public safety, while weighing the needs of hunters and sportspeople."
Good or bad? {no idea until you find more details}
banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.
What is considered an advanced weapon? {i don't know, a laser sight? Maybe there's a bullet specifically designed to home in on a police officer's distinctive physiology.}
Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned
Good luck trying to confiscate a 50-Caliber gun from somebody. Gun recalls. {Because we all know that the majority of gun deaths are caused by >$1k 50-cal firearms. Besides which, you're right. Once it's banned, it's a collector's item and you're not getting them back short of martial law.}
Encourage responsible gun ownership by establishing a standard firearms safety course for people applying for a gun license
Going to be awesome paying for that. {People should be responsible enough to get the right training. But they aren't, so the government's going to try and intervene, which will make course costs multiply exponentially. }
Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons
Still don't know what us an assault weapon is. {You know, like AK-47's and Red Ryder BB guns.}
Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public
This is going to be funny when it starts to get abused.
Gotta love NY. {This is the kind of legislative yikity-yak that made me cringe about Obama (and other politicians, to be fair). It's impossible to know what he's talking about until he actually does something. Now, I'm signing off to enable my eyes to receive enhanced levels of color stumulation in diverse rates of attenuated of alacrity. It's good for the environment, and good for us all. Eh, guess I'd better keep my day job, the nonsense has to be inspiring right at the moment it makes the least amount of sense.}
(apologies for any typos; eyestrain's getting to me and I'm not about to sift through this thing now)
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
I usually stay well clear of gun control debates, but:

Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public
What the hell is that meant to mean?!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

BN wrote:

Why would anyone need a .50cal?

Surely they should be restricted to the military.
Black powder rifles are often chambered for much higher calibers than centerfire.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty sure its .50BMG they are worried about, not muskets.
If they were caught up that would be funny.

Here blackpowder firearms are very lightly regulated, according to my Police contact no-one has been killed with a muzzle-loader since well before 1900 so there is no perceived need.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6480
God I hate NY.  This really doesn't surprise me in the least.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

no-one has been killed with a muzzle-loader since well before 1900 so there is no perceived need.
It's the same with .50BMG rifles, yet some people feel the need to ban them. 

They obviously don't fall under the protection of the Bill of Needs.
Expand the AWB...?  Seriously, let's make a failed law even more vague and hope it works!  That is not a law against crime.  It is a law against firearms some legislators think look scary.  Here is a great example of our politicians crafting clear and proper legislation, for a problem they have studied extensively http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2u … re=related /sarcasm
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida
Ahem...

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE.

No, actually, it is believable. My shitty government-control state would do something like that.

The second amendment is not in place for 'hunters and sportsmen'. It's sole purpose is to protect the peoples rights to overthrow an out of control government.

Whats wrong with a 50cal rifle? HOW MANY MURDERS ARE COMMITED WITH A FUCKING 50CAL?

Does tyrone walk around south street with a fucking 50 cal? NO! the god damn thing is 5 feet long!

It's wittling away every amendment you have.

Fuck the constitution now, its useless. You cant cite it and no one judges by it anymore, they judge by personal oppinion and fucking party guidelines.

Someone needs to V for Vendetta up in this motherfucker
15 more years! 15 more years!
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6355|West NY

Mitch wrote:

Whats wrong with a 50cal rifle? HOW MANY MURDERS ARE COMMITED WITH A FUCKING 50CAL?

Does tyrone walk around south street with a fucking 50 cal? NO! the god damn thing is 5 feet long!
-_-
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Desert-Eagle-p1030134.jpg
.50 cal^

On topic,

Someone, I forget who... wrote:

Assault Weapons Ban:
If it looks mean, BAN IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s376ZbPG-OM&fmt=18

Last edited by Noobpatty (2009-05-04 15:17:50)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
The Desert Eagle is chambered in .50 Action Express, which is a pistol round, not .50 BMG (rifle/heavy MG round).  There are at least four "common" .50 cal cartridges (.50 BMG, .50 Beowolf, .50 Action Express, and S&W 500 [might be wrong on the exact name for that one])
PureFodder
+225|6286
Pointless. The guns used in crimes in NY don't come from NY, they almost all come from the states with more lax gun laws. The current legislation appears to be doing as good a job as is realistically could do at stopping criminals from purchasing a gun in NY, this will likely only effect legal gun owners and not bother the criminals at all.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pretty sure its .50BMG they are worried about, not muskets.
If they were caught up that would be funny.

Here blackpowder firearms are very lightly regulated, according to my Police contact no-one has been killed with a muzzle-loader since well before 1900 so there is no perceived need.
If it's .50BMG, then they should be more specific. As they aren't, blackpowder firearms are just as likely to be caught up as anything else.

And what's the problem with .50BMG? It's not like weapons that chamber that round are being used to commit crimes.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6596|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
I think someone needs to walk in there with a nice big Barrett, plop it on the desk of the people writing these laws and ask them. "How the fuck am i going to commit a crime carrying this" and then walk right back out. (with their Barrett of course). A short .50 cal rifle is 5 feet, that is up to my mid section. (im 6'9" with 4 foot legs, so around the sternum) the only thing people need to worry about is a .50AE or a S&W 500 and even then the recoil and the weight of those fuckers make them tough to control. sure the look scary and they have scary names, but in all honesty someone could put a highlighter on your back and tell you that its a .50 pistol and ask for your wallet and you probably wont know the difference. (random side thought, just thought it should be mentioned).
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
Boo freaking hoo.

You're all like a spoiled 5 year old child when their parents take their favourite toy away.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US

DrunkFace wrote:

Boo freaking hoo.

You're all like a spoiled 5 year old child when their parents take their favourite toy away.
Would you complain if the government told you that it was only legal to buy compact cars in blue or green?  Same idea here.  The law is not going to reduce crime, but it does restrict people who try to follow the law.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US

FEOS wrote:

BN wrote:

Why would anyone need a .50cal?

Surely they should be restricted to the military.
Black powder rifles are often chambered for much higher calibers than centerfire.
They exempted muzzle-loaders and shotguns.
So, that leaves .50 Beowolf and .50BMG (and any rifle chambered in other .50 or up center-fire ammo, but I don't know of any others ATM).
Still retarded, as there has never been a violent crime commited with a modern .50 cal rifle in the US.
Criminals don't lug around 30lb, 5ft long rifles to rob convenience stores!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Noobpatty wrote:

Mitch wrote:

-_-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 030134.jpg
.50 cal^

On topic,

Someone, I forget who... wrote:

Assault Weapons Ban:
If it looks mean, BAN IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s376ZbPG-OM&fmt=18
Yes a lot of people have those and are very very practical.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
lol imagine someone holding up a store with a M95. silly law.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6764|d

FatherTed wrote:

lol imagine someone holding up a store with a M95. silly law.
Havent ya seen Phone Booth ? M95 + Phone = Profit for sure.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

DrunkFace wrote:

Boo freaking hoo.

Yeah. How silly of us to take our Bill of Rights seriously...as if the people who wrote it meant it or something.
― Albert Einstein

Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6355|West NY

Cybargs wrote:

Yes a lot of people have those and are very very practical.

Macbeth wrote:

Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned
I was pointing out that there's more than one .50 caliber round out there you snide arse
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
A .50 AE is actually a very good weapon for robbing stores, as it can penetrate the lower grade bullet proof glass that they usually have. A .45 or .38 can't do that.
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

A .50 AE is actually a very good weapon for robbing stores, as it can penetrate the lower grade bullet proof glass that they usually have. A .45 or .38 can't do that.
now i need to try that.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Based on what?
The standard .50AE bullets favor expansion rather than penetration (they'll do both, but the large frontal area means penetration really isn't very good for the energy it has).  If you're looking for penetration, go with .357sig or 5.7mm in handguns (5.56 or 7.62 steel core, for rifles).
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

RAIMIUS wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Based on what?
The standard .50AE bullets favor expansion rather than penetration (they'll do both, but the large frontal area means penetration really isn't very good for the energy it has).  If you're looking for penetration, go with .357sig or 5.7mm in handguns (5.56 or 7.62 steel core, for rifles).
the brute force of the .50ae slug may be enough to shatter bp glass.  the .50ae has nearly 3x the muzzle energy of the .357 sig at 1400+ ftlbs.  300 grains provides for a lot momentun.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard