Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

http://assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20090428/
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Assembly Codes Committee Chair Joseph Lentol today announced the Assembly's passage of a legislative package to combat gun violence. The bills will enhance safety by assisting police in their efforts to investigate illegal firearms, prohibiting felons from buying guns, requiring child-proof devices on guns and banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.

"New York is one of the safest states in the nation and it must stay that way," said Silver (D-Manhattan). To achieve this, we must craft laws that prevent dangerous felons from possessing weapons while assisting law enforcement agencies as they combat gun trafficking. Although the majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens, we must ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of violent felons or children. This package contains bills that address public safety, while weighing the needs of hunters and sportspeople."
Good or bad?
banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.
What is considered an advanced weapon?
Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned
Good luck trying to confiscate a 50-Caliber gun from somebody. Gun recalls.
Define a "disguised gun" to include those weapons designed and intended to appear to be a toy gun and ban their production and sale
Airsoft? Never mind read it wrong, I'm dumbass.
Encourage responsible gun ownership by establishing a standard firearms safety course for people applying for a gun license
Going to be awesome paying for that.
Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons
Still don't know what us an assault weapon is.
Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public
This is going to be funny when it starts to get abused.
Gotta love NY.

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-05-03 21:44:23)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

requiring child-proof devices on guns and banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.
This I like.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
lol, people who don't understand guns trying to control them.

it's like having PETA write slaughterhouse regulations.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
I want Biometric gun locks...right now many cops get killed by their own weapon as a criminal wrestles it from them.

Taking guns away from citizens who legally have them now I don't like.  All the stuff about the felons I like.  What I didn't hear is anything about increased fines/sentences for crimes with guns.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6806|Kubra, Damn it!

Reciprocity wrote:

How do you know they don't understand guns? They could all be ex-military or former police for all you know.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
i think by disguised guns they mean those stupid .22 keychain ones. depends on the wording i guess

*waits with baited breath for mitch to post*
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North
advanced firearms
vague much?
assault weapons
mostly cosmetics
50-caliber or larger weapons
are largely single shot or have a VERY limited magazine capacity
The legislative package also addresses public safety by requiring all firearms sold in the state to be childproof
they're called trigger locks, we already have them.
prohibits the sale of ammunition which serves no practical purpose yet possesses the capacity to pierce through protective bulletproof vests
this i agree with
requires that there be a weapons-safety program for schoolchildren and creates crimes of failing to safely store firearms
good
Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public
bullshit, pure bullshit
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

article wrote:

The legislative package also addresses public safety by requiring all firearms sold in the state to be childproof (A.1326/Englebright) and capable of microstamping ammunition (A.6468/Schimel), and by instituting background checks for firearms sold at pawn shops (A.7574/Hoyt). Another bill requires stringent recordkeeping and reporting of gun sales, liability insurance and employee training for gunsmiths to prevent the sale of guns through so-called "straw purchases" (A.1093/Paulin).

Other measures in the Assembly gun package would:

Protect the safety of law enforcement personnel by prohibiting the sale and ownership of ammunition designed to fragment or explode upon impact and pierce body armor (A.2881/Koon);
Require law enforcement authorities to record projectiles, shell casings and guns in their possession which they suspect were used in a gun crime into an electronic databank (A.2882A/Koon);
Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned (A.3211A/Eddington);
Define a "disguised gun" to include those weapons designed and intended to appear to be a toy gun and ban their production and sale. (A.5078/Lentol);
Encourage responsible gun ownership by establishing a standard firearms safety course for people applying for a gun license (A.3076B/Kavanagh);
Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons (A.6157/Titone); and
Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public (A.7733/Lupardo
1. "Childproofing"  What exactly is that?  Mandatory locked storage, like that which was ruled unconstitutional in Heller?
2. Microstamping--unproven, EXPENSIVE technology that does not really add much of anything to current ballistics technology.  (But is expensive enough to make gun ownership inaccessible to poor people...nice class warfare on gun owners!)
3. Ban ammo designed to fragment--i.e. "Frangible" ammo that is designed to avoid ricochettes and overpenetration.  That isn't "cop killer" ammo.  It is designed to be LESS dangerous (i.e. don't kill people on the other side of a target by accident).  WHAT A USELESS LAW!
4. .50 cal ban--When was the last time one was used in crime?  They are NOT a serious problem, yet the state is determined to spend millions of dollars to prohibit them.  (Aren't you New Yorkers feeling better about your tax money?)
5. Expanding the AWB to include virtually anything (determined to be not suitable for sporting purposes)...SOMEONE SUE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF THIS!  The whole thing is a farce, the law is ill-defined, it intrudes on the rights of the public, and IT WILL NOT CUT DOWN ON CRIME!  It has failed before, but the idiots writing this stuff don't care, they just want more control. /mini-rant

One bill requires the re-licensing and recertification of firearms permits after five years (A.801A/Paulin). This will help ensure that licensing authorities have the oversight they need to protect the public while balancing the legitimate constitutional rights of gun owners
Ah, yes.  More economic warfare AND requiring government permission to exercise "legitimate constitutional rights"...
Reciprocity

chittydog wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

How do you know they don't understand guns? They could all be ex-military or former police for all you know.
"advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers"- describes every firearm ever made

"banning and confiscating .50 caliber and larger weapons" -yeah, 'cause a .50bmg is the most dangerous and effective caliber EVAR!

and they must craft laws to prevent bad guys from possessing guns.  so they're planning to enforce these new laws unlike the current laws which do the same thing?

and I've known plenty of military guys, and especially cops, who don't know dick about firearms.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

krazed wrote:

bullshit, pure bullshit
What's your problem here?

I'm sure if a court could prove that an individual is a real threat to themselves or the public they should have their firearms removed. Even if only temporarily.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

AussieReaper wrote:

krazed wrote:

bullshit, pure bullshit

I'm sure if a court could prove that an individual is a real threat to themselves or the public they should have their firearms removed. Even if only temporarily.
What defines a threat? Political views, race , wealth?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

krazed wrote:

bullshit, pure bullshit

How about someone currently suspected of terrorism plots? Someone currently under investigation of inciting a race riot?

There's a million possibilities, some of which you've named yourself.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How about someone currently suspected of terrorism plots? Someone currently under investigation of inciting a race riot?

There's a million possibilities, some of which you've named yourself.
If somebody is being investigated for inciting a race riot you can bet that the police are watching them already. If somebody is suspected of terrorism in the U.S. they are most likely being watched by 4 different agencies to make sure they don't do anything.

It is an unnecessarily broad law to deal with actually small issues.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

AussieReaper wrote:

krazed wrote:

bullshit, pure bullshit

who COULD present a threat to the public. anybody COULD be a threat, it depends on who's pointing the fingers

Macbeth wrote:

It is an unnecessarily broad law to deal with actually small issues.
this
Reciprocity
"Mr. Smith, because you're African-American, and are therefor statistically inclined to one day be a criminal, it is this courts decision that your second amendment rights shall be preemptively revoked for the good of society."
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

Reciprocity wrote:

"Mr. Smith, because you're African-American, and are therefor statistically inclined to one day be a criminal, it is this courts decision that your second amendment rights shall be preemptively revoked for the good of society."
a bit of an extreme example, but it gets the point across

they cant just pass laws and then clarify them later if people kick up enough fuss about it
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6687|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
We'll see how long this law lasts once they actually try to take away a gun from a leagal owner.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6738
Why would anyone need a .50cal?

Surely they should be restricted to the military.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
very long range target shooting

it's a very expensive and difficult hobby
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
How sad for NY... and i am originally from New York... Millionares tax(bye bye big money taxpayers...welcome to Pennsylvania...lol)
and let's make sure to keep those .50 cal bank robberies to a minimum by collecting them all... good luck with that... I think that movie Escape from New York may have been prophetic...lol
https://www.tccommentary.com/dapics/escapefromnewyork1.jpg

keeping kids safe is the only thing that makes sense out of their idiot ideas... but somehow i feel they will find a way to only affect law abiding citizens in a negative way with kid safety

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-03 22:36:10)

Love is the answer
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6677
Shit, glad I don't live in NY.

banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.
The most common ammunition used to kill police is the most common ammunition out there, 9mm.
Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned
Number of crimes that have been committed with a .50cal in the US: 0
Retarded.
Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons
Right now, "assault weapons" are basically the guns that look scary.  If it's big and black, or looks like an ak-47, it's an assault weapon.  I can't imaginewaht they could do to expand the definition of "assult weapon".  Mabe they plan to ban anything that shoots pointy bullets.
Anyway, this is concerning:
Anything to prevent the "right wing extremists" from defending themselves...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

FatherTed wrote:

i think by disguised guns they mean those stupid .22 keychain ones. depends on the wording i guess
Xbone Stormsurgezz
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6350|MN
I'm just trying to decide where the new "Conservative" country is going to be.  Maybe I will move to China, they are going to have more freedom and more money than the US.

Last edited by LividBovine (2009-05-03 22:41:27)

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6677

BN wrote:

Why would anyone need a .50cal?

Surely they should be restricted to the military.
Why the hell should they be restricted to the military?  All you are doing is depriving law abiding citizens of .50cals.  There has never been a crime committed using a .50cal.
Reciprocity
the funniest part is that the .50bmg doesn't have the furthest range, it isn't the hardest hitting and it certainly isn't the the most accurate large caliber cartridge.  the only reason it's well known is because it's the cheapest, hense most common large caliber.  .338 lapua runs circles around the .50bmg. as does the .408 cheytac, .416 barrett,  and a dozen other commercial calibers as well as countless wildcats.  the .50 is a boogeyman for people who don't understand firearms.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard