Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

After months of living on government loans, Chrysler finally succumbed to bankruptcy Thursday, pinning its future on a top-to-bottom reorganization and plans to build cleaner cars through an alliance with Italian automaker Fiat.

The nation's third-largest car manufacturer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New York after a group of creditors defied government pressure to wipe out Chrysler's debt. The company plans to emerge in as little as 30 days as a leaner, more nimble company, with Fiat potentially becoming the majority owner in the future. In return, the federal government agreed to give Chrysler up to $8 billion in additional aid and to back its warranties.

"It's a partnership that will give Chrysler a chance not only to survive, but to thrive in a global auto industry," President Barack Obama said from the White House.

Chrysler said it will close all its plants starting Monday and they will stay closed until the company comes out of bankruptcy. At least three Detroit-area factories sent workers home Thursday after suppliers stopped shipping parts over fears they would not be paid.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … QD97T57L00
Poor Chrysler. Somebody better tell GM they were close.
So I guess all those bailouts were for nothing.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
Indeed nothing.

Why make cars when nobody can get credit or depend on an income to make teh payments.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Indeed nothing.

Why make cars when nobody can get credit or depend on an income to make teh payments.
It's loosening.... a little
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13rin
+977|6476
Dang.  I really though that the bailouts were going to work...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Bankruptcies work without burdening third parties. They make both the creditors and debtors deal with their decisions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Kmarion wrote:

Bankruptcies work without burdening third parties. They make both the creditors and debtors deal with their decisions.
They chose to enter bankruptcy. They could have restructured and narrowly avoided it. This way, debt is totaled and settled quickly on the top of another bailout.

It's a dirty practice in a way, but a very planned move in this case.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Karbin
+42|6292

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

They chose to enter bankruptcy. They could have restructured and narrowly avoided it. This way, debt is totaled and settled quickly on the top of another bailout.

Not quite. Three bondholders, hedge-funds, had insurance on their loans. Their thoughts are "Why take 30 cents on the dollar when we can get ALL of the loan back."
Unfortunately, for them to get it all back, they have forced Chrysler into file Chapter 11.

The three creditors unprepared to accept the U.S. Treasury's offer of $2 billion in cash to extinguish $6.9 billion in secured debt were Oppenheimer Funds, Perella Weinberg Partners and Stairway Capital

Last edited by Karbin (2009-04-30 21:55:24)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I do not think they could have avoided it.. intentional or not.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Kmarion wrote:

ATG wrote:

Indeed nothing.

It's loosening.... a little
Just got a mortgage with zero issues.

Based on everything I was seeing/hearing in the media, I was expecting a long, drawn-out, microscope-up-the-ass process. But it was easier going than when I got my first-ever mortgage in 2001.

@ OP: Maybe twice is the charm for Chrysler.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-05-01 05:23:14)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5991|Truthistan
I had a good laugh at CNBC yesterday.
I was watching and a guest commented that the lack of agreement by "the greedy hedge funds" was sending Chrysler to bankruptcy and that is was "UNPATRIOTIC." I see nothing wrong with rasing the patriotism point, I think a lot of people feel that way when they see jobs and tax payers money being thrown at these problems.

Anyway I thought the commentators were going to poop on camera. lol. Nice to see that "alternative" views are being invited.

BTW to use some of the patriotism lingo I've heard from time to time. I bet most of those hedge fund investors aren't even American citizens.

But a bigger problem might be that some of these hedge funds have taken out credit default swaps, so what they don't recover in bankruptcy the government will be paying out from covering AIG debts and if the Goldman Sacks example has shown anything is that the govt is generously covering those credit default swaps at 100 cents on the dollar...... Unpatriotic indeed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard