Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

There is an election coming up. Until then my official postion is (fart).

The Dems virtually had a super majority. All they needed was one or two defectors. .. something Specter did anyways. This entire thread is much ado about nothing. Do people really think it means something because this guy changed his official label?
Yes.  It matters because of the effect it has on public perceptions of the GOP.

When a highly established Senator leaves one party for another, that makes the party being left behind look bad.

For example, had Lieberman actually switched to the GOP instead of to being independent, it would've made the Democrats look a lot worse.

Specter's move is indicative of what his party was about to do to him in terms of primaries and also indicative of the party shift of many of his constituents.

If nothing else, this shows that the Republicans have a long way to go in turning Pennsylvania back into a true swing state.
Right the public didn't already see the Republicans that way . You must have missed the last three elections. If that didn't tell you that the GOP needed a kick in the ass nothing will. The wake up call was already absurdly obvious. Spector is ADMITTEDLY self serving. He has been trying to make the GOP looks bad for years. This "switch" comes as absolutely no surprise.

Again, this doesn't really mean jack crap when you are already within two seats. If you want to play around in the touchy feely and potential implications of this move have ball. What it actually does in terms of legislative power means more to me. If anything it's going to solidify the right against him. I literally lol at the idea that there are actually people out there that think that his move will force a single person on the right to reconsider their political alignment. It is almost as funny as calling Ron Paul an ally of the GOP. Anti-Republicans will make a big deal out of it though. The reasons are quite obvious. The surprise isn’t that Specter switched sides now, it’s that it took him this long to do it. If not for Toomey getting into the race and quickly jumping out to a 21 point lead Specter would still be a Republican... period.

This isn't about the Republican party, they clearly need restructuring. You don't need Alren f'n Specter to clue you in on that. It's all about the inevitable ass kicking that was about to be unleashed on Specter if he stayed a Republican. To say that he is switching parties because of his core values while simultaneously betraying his constituents is ridiculous. Specter isn't inline with the GOP, nor the DEMS. Specter is inline with himself and which ever way the wind blows. We know this to be true of most politicians. This fella is just especially transparent.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Lowing-

The Republicans nominated him, then elected him, he is still representing them but now has a " D " behind his name.  He is the same damn person with same liberal views.  Can't help it if the Republican party is so fucking liberal they border Democrats now.  Keep voting Republican, I am sure they will get on that border thing and balanced budget right away /BIG TIME SARCASM

Who gives a shit, it changes nothing.  Just like Bush and Republicans holding everything for 2 years changed nothing.
If it didn't matter like you insist, then there was no need to change parties was there? Fact is, it does matter, and you know it.
Would you feel better if he kept the " R " behind his name and still voted with the Dems and ran in their Primary for nomination.

See, it doesn't matter.  Just take some time and think it through. 

If people had to vote a certain way because of what party they were nominated by then they could all just stay home and never debate bills, read bills, or be present for bills because their vote would be a given.  Yet this doesn't happen and people like McCain and Spector vote with the Dems all the time.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Lotta_Drool wrote:

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Lowing-

The Republicans nominated him, then elected him, he is still representing them but now has a " D " behind his name.  He is the same damn person with same liberal views.  Can't help it if the Republican party is so fucking liberal they border Democrats now.  Keep voting Republican, I am sure they will get on that border thing and balanced budget right away /BIG TIME SARCASM

Who gives a shit, it changes nothing.  Just like Bush and Republicans holding everything for 2 years changed nothing.
If it didn't matter like you insist, then there was no need to change parties was there? Fact is, it does matter, and you know it.
Would you feel better if he kept the " R " behind his name and still voted with the Dems and ran in their Primary for nomination.

If people had to vote a certain way because of what party they were nominated by then they could all just stay home and never debate bills, read bills, or be present for bills because their vote would be a given.  Yet this doesn't happen and people like McCain and Spector vote with the Dems all the time.
No, I would feel better if he were recalled and the voters could have a change of heart about their vote just like this dipshit had about his party
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, I would feel better if he were recalled and the voters could have a change of heart about their vote just like this dipshit had about his party
I don't.  The people had 2 chances to vote in somebody else, the primary and the general election.  Both times they picked a person that cares more about HIMSELF than HIS COUNTRY.  They have done this consistantly for 20+ years and this is what is fucking up my country.

The problem is not him changing parties, it is HIM.  and that is who they elected.

Last edited by Lotta_Drool (2009-04-30 16:35:29)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Lotta_Drool wrote:

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I don't.  The people had 2 chances to vote in somebody else, the primary and the general election.  Both times they picked a person that cares more about HIMSELF than HIS COUNTRY.  They have done this consistantly for 20+ years and this is what is fucking up my country.

The problem is not him changing parties, it is HIM.  and that is who they elected.
Actually both times, they picked a republican
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

lowing wrote:

Actually both times, they picked a republican
Actually both times they picked Spector, he is a Democrat if I am not mistaken.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Right the public didn't already see the Republicans that way . You must have missed the last three elections. If that didn't tell you that the GOP needed a kick in the ass nothing will. The wake up call was already absurdly obvious. Spector is ADMITTEDLY self serving. He has been trying to make the GOP looks bad for years. This "switch" comes as absolutely no surprise.
Well, I can't disagree with the GOP needing a kick in the ass.

I'm just saying Specter's the kind of guy that does well with moderates.  As a moderate myself, I've always liked him.  But again, show me a politician that isn't self-serving.

Kmarion wrote:

Again, this doesn't really mean jack crap when you are already within two seats. If you want to play around in the touchy feely and potential implications of this move have ball. What it actually does in terms of legislative power means more to me. If anything it's going to solidify the right against him. I literally lol at the idea that there are actually people out there that think that his move will force a single person on the right to reconsider their political alignment. It is almost as funny as calling Ron Paul an ally of the GOP. Anti-Republicans will make a big deal out of it though. The reasons are quite obvious. The surprise isn’t that Specter switched sides now, it’s that it took him this long to do it. If not for Toomey getting into the race and quickly jumping out to a 21 point lead Specter would still be a Republican... period.
Alrighty, I didn't realize you took this that personally.

Kmarion wrote:

This isn't about the Republican party, they clearly need restructuring. You don't need Alren f'n Specter to clue you in on that. It's all about the inevitable ass kicking that was about to be unleashed on Specter if he stayed a Republican. To say that he is switching parties because of his core values while simultaneously betraying his constituents is ridiculous. Specter isn't inline with the GOP, nor the DEMS. Specter is inline with himself and which ever way the wind blows. We know this to be true of most politicians. This fella is just especially transparent.
Well, when looking at it that way, you might as well not even vote.  I mean...  To be honest, I'm tempted to not bother with 2010 myself.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

show me a politician that isn't self-serving.

Kmarion wrote:

Specter is inline with himself and which ever way the wind blows. We know this to be true of most politicians.

Turquoise wrote:

Not personally . I'm just over the media hype that amounts to nothing, and the eagerness people exhibit to buy into it..
Well, when looking at it that way, you might as well not even vote.  I mean...  To be honest, I'm tempted to not bother with 2010 myself.
Cure= lower your expectations . It's working for Obama. Hope quickly turned into him telling us how bad things were as soon as he won the election. Set the bar low enough and even a jr senator can step over it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706
God help us all
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

show me a politician that isn't self-serving.

Kmarion wrote:

Specter is inline with himself and which ever way the wind blows. We know this to be true of most politicians.

Turquoise wrote:

Not personally . I'm just over the media hype that amounts to nothing, and the eagerness people exhibit to buy into it..
Cure= lower your expectations . It's working for Obama. Hope quickly turned into him telling us how bad things were as soon as he won the election. Set the bar low enough and even a jr senator can step over it.
Well, Bush kind of lowered them more than anyone had in a long time.  This is why Obama had so much hype around him.  Anyone halfway competent looked like a genius compared to Bush.

It's like Reagan as well.  Anyone halfway competent compared to Carter looked like a genius as well.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Great analogy. Maybe that's why Obama has a mancrush on Reagan.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

You don't turn your back on the party you've been involved with for two decades lightly.

I think part of why he did this is so the Republicans can see the damage they are doing not only to their voter moderate base but to the politicians who represent them.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

You don't turn your back on the party you've been involved with for two decades lightly.

I think part of why he did this is so the Republicans can see the damage they are doing not only to their voter moderate base but to the politicians who represent them.
You do if you want to keep your job.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Great analogy. Maybe that's why Obama has a mancrush on Reagan.
It's hard not to idolize Reagan in terms of his ability to move the public.  The irony, of course, is that Obama and Reagan are mostly opposites.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The more I think about it, the more it just goes back to how the Founding Fathers warned against parties.  Instead of parties, we should just have individuals that run on their own merit rather than attaching themselves to some collective.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How far ahead do you think he was looking when he made this decision, just until the next election, after it?

He has only guaranteed his job for the time it was already guaranteed. Come the next vote he may have pissed off Republicans like lowing who vote simply along party lines... Or the Democrats place a new contender for his position (less likely however).
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The more I think about it, the more it just goes back to how the Founding Fathers warned against parties.  Instead of parties, we should just have individuals that run on their own merit rather than attaching themselves to some collective.
Exactly! Most of them did at least. I'm currently reading a great series on American history by Oxford. The cult of political parties is a disease. What Hath God Wrought is pretty freaking dark tbh. It deals mostly with the Jackson era. I know it's not exactly late breaking news... but what an expansionist empirical prick.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly! Most of them did at least. I'm currently reading a great series on American history by Oxford. The cult of political parties is a disease. What Hath God Wrought is pretty freaking dark tbh. It deals mostly with the Jackson era. I know it's not exactly late breaking news... but what an expansionist empirical prick.
I think you meant to say imperialist, not empirical, but I agree.    Isaac Newton was more the empirical type. 
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How far ahead do you think he was looking when he made this decision, just until the next election, after it?

He has only guaranteed his job for the time it was already guaranteed. Come the next vote he may have pissed off Republicans like lowing who vote simply along party lines... Or the Democrats place a new contender for his position (less likely however).
This was a scramble, plain and simple. He was behind significantly in the polls. His state has a closed primary. Party switching (getting the Dem vote) is the only chance he has.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think you meant to say imperialist, not empirical, but I agree.    Isaac Newton was more the empirical type. 
Damn you ff spellcheck! Book two talks about Newton.. see the book club thread .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

EDIT:  Ah...  looks interesting...

Going back to Jackson though...  It does seem like the Treaty of Guadalupe was a mistake in hindsight.  We should've conquered Mexico.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-04-30 21:26:49)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Cosmic Quest?
It's about the history of studying astronomy. It's mostly about the pioneers.

Quick question, who were the first to show an interest in studying the stars? Some people (who are on right now) should know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Turquoise wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Going back to Jackson though...  It does seem like the Treaty of Guadalupe was a mistake in hindsight.  We should've conquered Mexico.
We would have just been getting illegal aliens from further down South. Should have just conquered all of North and South American. That would have totally solved illegal immigration.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Cosmic Quest?
It's about the history of studying astronomy. It's mostly about the pioneers.

Quick question, who were the first to show an interest in studying the stars? Some people (who are on right now) should know.
Probably Sumerians.
Turquoise
O Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We would have just been getting illegal aliens from further down South. Should have just conquered all of North and South American. That would have totally solved illegal immigration.
It's much easier to close the Mexican border connected to Guatemala than our own border with Mexico.  Mexico still has problems with illegals, but that's because their government is shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard