Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5995|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

He should be recalled. He was voted in as a republican and the people have a right to be represented by one. His change reflex a false pretence of his election.
You vote for someone on the policy they present, not the little letter affixed to their name on the ballot. If you do, you deserve to get fucked with your vote then.
That "little letter affixed to their name on a ballot" is meant to denote what ideology the individual stands for. People do vote along party lines. He was elected as a republican and therefore is expected and should be obligated to vote on issues accordingly. His election was done under false pretence. No different than Obama elected as a democrat than after his election becoming a republican. His head would be called for on a platter, and rightfully so.
Americans love a winner. 200 000 of Specters constituents have switched parties. He's following his supporters, not the other way around.

The problem with the Republican party is that they believe in sides, right v wrong, blue v gray, D v R, True Americans v false Americans. The "get on your side and stay there" mentality has played itself out and people are tired of the BS.

In short, people are tired of Texas style politics where you dig in your heels and bray like an ass, even if you're wrong.

The problem is that segments in the R party pulled to the right with such zealous fervor that they are making the party uncompetitive. And they are using the primaries to "purify their party" of moderates. The Republicans are having their own pandemic called the religious right pox. Moderate people just don't like the message. Defections like Specters will help keep the Democrats in the center. The reverse is true, the only thing keeping the Republicans from spinning off into obsurity are the moderates in the party.

The religious right may indeed win the war for the soul of the R party, but that R will stand for Religiosity and no one will vote for that.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6184|Ireland
Lowing-

The Republicans nominated him, then elected him, he is still representing them but now has a " D " behind his name.  He is the same damn person with same liberal views.  Can't help it if the Republican party is so fucking liberal they border Democrats now.  Keep voting Republican, I am sure they will get on that border thing and balanced budget right away /BIG TIME SARCASM

Who gives a shit, it changes nothing.  Just like Bush and Republicans holding everything for 2 years changed nothing.

Last edited by Lotta_Drool (2009-04-29 10:16:57)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

You vote for someone on the policy they present, not the little letter affixed to their name on the ballot. If you do, you deserve to get fucked with your vote then.
That "little letter affixed to their name on a ballot" is meant to denote what ideology the individual stands for. People do vote along party lines. He was elected as a republican and therefore is expected and should be obligated to vote on issues accordingly. His election was done under false pretence. No different than Obama elected as a democrat than after his election becoming a republican. His head would be called for on a platter, and rightfully so.
Americans love a winner. 200 000 of Specters constituents have switched parties. He's following his supporters, not the other way around.

The problem with the Republican party is that they believe in sides, right v wrong, blue v gray, D v R, True Americans v false Americans. The "get on your side and stay there" mentality has played itself out and people are tired of the BS.

In short, people are tired of Texas style politics where you dig in your heels and bray like an ass, even if you're wrong.

The problem is that segments in the R party pulled to the right with such zealous fervor that they are making the party uncompetitive. And they are using the primaries to "purify their party" of moderates. The Republicans are having their own pandemic called the religious right pox. Moderate people just don't like the message. Defections like Specters will help keep the Democrats in the center. The reverse is true, the only thing keeping the Republicans from spinning off into obsurity are the moderates in the party.

The religious right may indeed win the war for the soul of the R party, but that R will stand for Religiosity and no one will vote for that.
Does not take away from the fact that he was voted in as a republican and if he is allowed to change parties after the fact, the voters should be allowed to change votes, based on the new development, after the fact.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Lowing-

The Republicans nominated him, then elected him, he is still representing them but now has a " D " behind his name.  He is the same damn person with same liberal views.  Can't help it if the Republican party is so fucking liberal they border Democrats now.  Keep voting Republican, I am sure they will get on that border thing and balanced budget right away /BIG TIME SARCASM

Who gives a shit, it changes nothing.  Just like Bush and Republicans holding everything for 2 years changed nothing.
If it didn't matter like you insist, then there was no need to change parties was there? Fact is, it does matter, and you know it.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6447|Chicago, IL

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Lowing-

If it didn't matter like you insist, then there was no need to change parties was there? Fact is, it does matter, and you know it.
Specter has been in the senate for over two decades, and the party has changed significantly since then, he as a man and his views have not changed, but the party has.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

S.Lythberg wrote:

lowing wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Lowing-

Specter has been in the senate for over two decades, and the party has changed significantly since then, he as a man and his views have not changed, but the party has.
Don't know his record, I do know the people voted in a republican and NOT a democrat. It is a republican that should be representing the people.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6768
I thought rats leave a ship before its sunk?

oh well, never too late.
Diesel_dyk
+178|5995|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

lowing wrote:

Don't know his record, I do know the people voted in a republican and NOT a democrat. It is a republican that should be representing the people.
Last I checked you vote for the candidate, he is the person running for office, he holds the seat, not the party. And you voted for a candidate based on their position on the issues. The candidates membership in a party is only one of many reasons to vote for the person, and by no means is it the most important reason or an over riding reason.

Pulling the lever for a party ticket doesn't mean you voted for the party, you voted for the candidates that the party endorsed.
If one of the candidates has a falling out with the party oh well too bad so sad. In fact, there shouldn't be a short cut to vote the ticket, that's just lazy. and I see no reason why we couldn't vote for the best presidential candidate and the best VP regardless of party. Could you imagine PBO and VP Sarah Palin...that would be a sit com.

That said, I would like to see recall legislation that applied to all politicians. But a politician being recalled because they jumped from one party to another would be a poor reason for recall  IMO.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5611|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
That Specter left and wasn’t thrown out shows that the Republican Party hasn’t moved far enough to the right!

I think a filibuster proof Democratic majority means we’re going to see another surge in gun sales.

Are we going to have to endure more “GOP needs to be more moderate” editorials? Can’t you be against trillions in spending and be moderate?

FrankJ wrote:

Now that we finally scared Arlen Specter away, enough with putting up with whiny weaklings in the Republican Party. We already can’t break a filibuster, so losing a few more won’t make things worse. It’s time for The Purge™.

Let’s get rid of the liberals - and anyone who refers to a liberal as a moderate. If you voted for Obama’s trillions, you can’t be a Republican. And it’s time to finally bury Bush’s idea of “Compassionate Conservatism”. Here were the main tenets of it:

* We should not actively seek to harm poor people.

* Hippies should not be punched to the point of death.

* Enemy combatants should not be tortured just for entertainment.

* If we’re going to round up liberals into camps, the camps should at least have sanitary drinking water.

* We need better reasons for declaring war on a country than, “Nothing good is on TV.”

No more! It’s time to get back to the conservatism that tears apart everything that gets in front of it. It is time for the strong to crush the weak. It is time for the earners in this country to keep their money and all others to starve. It is time for The Purge™, the restoration of awesomeness to the Republican Party. Let only the strong survive.
http://www.imao.us/index.php/2009/04/the-purge/
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647
So the D or the R behind your name matters on how you vote now? The guys a coward and did it only to leave the sinking republican party. It was a political move and nothing more.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but if you replace Republican with Democrat above, the argument is just as accurate and valid.

Diesel_dyk wrote:

I think people are learning that Texas and Chicago-style politics aren't too different...one just costs a lot more.

Specter defected because he knew he wouldn't win the Republican primary that's coming up. That's it. The ideology is just eyewash. He didn't do it for his constituents, he didn't do it for his conscience. He did it for the same reason every politician does everything: to feed his ego.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6810|Marathon, Florida Keys

ATG wrote:

Things in America will devolve to the point that we get a ......... revolution.
Should i spend my $2500 on an AR-15 or save it for fun when i go to college in a few months? Because if theres a revolution im going up to DC to hunt me some democratz.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Diesel_dyk
+178|5995|Truthistan

FEOS wrote:

Specter defected because he knew he wouldn't win the Republican primary that's coming up. That's it. The ideology is just eyewash. He didn't do it for his constituents, he didn't do it for his conscience. He did it for the same reason every politician does everything: to feed his ego.
Agreed his party was lining up to replace him with someone who would tow the party line. They were going to screw him and end his career and now he screwed them first... that's politics. We'll see if Specter solidifies his position in the center and gets reelected as a democrat.

I thought I'd share this. This is family guy where there is an argument between a person and a Texas conservative. It pretty much sums it up the party of no.

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

lowing wrote:

They voted in a man not a party. You don't select a party and have them assign to is going to represent you. You vote in a (wo)man and then they represent you first and then their party.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

There is an election coming up. Until then my official postion is (fart).

The Dems virtually had a super majority. All they needed was one or two defectors. .. something Specter did anyways. This entire thread is much ado about nothing. Do people really think it means something because this guy changed his official label?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

Poseidon wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Shocker... Specterd was going to lose in 2010 as a Republican... so he switched to the Democrats...
There is no difference between Rep or Dem...
You know, you say that, yet all I see is you consistentely bashing Democrats. For someone who supposedly thinks there's no difference between the two, you sure love to bash one side.

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

He should be recalled. He was voted in as a republican and the people have a right to be represented by one. His change reflex a false pretence of his election.
You vote for someone on the policy the present, not the little letter affixed to their name on the ballot. If you do, you deserve to get fucked with your vote then.
Precisely.
I have evolved... i think both sides suck and they dont have any interest in the people that elected them...
I do think liberal ideas suck for the most part... but the conservatives aren't offering anything better at this point... Hopefully a Conservative
emerges with some balls and confronts the messiah on his soon to fail policies...
Love is the answer
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

ATG wrote:

Well, you have to know which guys are consideed rhinos; he ws one, as is mccain.

I say fuck 'em.

Things in America will devolve to the point that we get a viable third party or a revolution.

I don't care which anymore tbh.
I reckon they will devolve to the point of slavishly maintaining a two party system that doesn't even nearly reflect the full spectrum of political opinion in a country the size of the United States... sadly.

We are fat, apathetic Westerners. The only thing we will get off our couches for is the remote control or more consumable items to fill our fat Western bellies with!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Shocker... Specterd was going to lose in 2010 as a Republican... so he switched to the Democrats...
There is no difference between Rep or Dem...
You know, you say that, yet all I see is you consistentely bashing Democrats. For someone who supposedly thinks there's no difference between the two, you sure love to bash one side.

AussieReaper wrote:

You vote for someone on the policy the present, not the little letter affixed to their name on the ballot. If you do, you deserve to get fucked with your vote then.
Precisely.
I have evolved... i think both sides suck and they dont have any interest in the people that elected them...
I do think liberal ideas suck for the most part... but the conservatives aren't offering anything better at this point... Hopefully a Conservative
emerges with some balls and confronts the messiah on his soon to fail policies...
I really don't get this whole liberal = evil mentality.

Most rational people are liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example I am liberal on issues such as censorship and gay rights; and conservative on issues such as crime and punishment and gun-control. Are you seriously claiming you are 100% conservative on every single issue? Because I think you could pick holes in that with a quick Q & A.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

Braddock wrote:

We are fat, apathetic Westerners. The only thing we will get off our couches for is the remote control or more consumable items to fill our fat Western bellies with!
If only the US had a voter turnout of 95% as Australia generally does, the parties would have to represent the people. Not just use a rock star
image or go for the female underdog to gain votes simply because it means someone will be more likely to vote.

Make it compulsory so if the people do get pissed on, they remember it come voting time.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

AussieReaper wrote:

Braddock wrote:

If only the US had a voter turnout of 95% as Australia generally does, the parties would have to represent the people. Not just use a rock star
image or go for the female underdog to gain votes simply because it means someone will be more likely to vote.

Make it compulsory so if the people do get pissed on, they remember it come voting time.
Sure half of them don't vote then spend the next 4-8 years on here complaining about the guy they neither voted for or against.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Last I checked you vote for the candidate, he is the person running for office, he holds the seat, not the party. And you voted for a candidate based on their position on the issues. The candidates membership in a party is only one of many reasons to vote for the person, and by no means is it the most important reason or an over riding reason.

Pulling the lever for a party ticket doesn't mean you voted for the party, you voted for the candidates that the party endorsed.
If one of the candidates has a falling out with the party oh well too bad so sad. In fact, there shouldn't be a short cut to vote the ticket, that's just lazy. and I see no reason why we couldn't vote for the best presidential candidate and the best VP regardless of party. Could you imagine PBO and VP Sarah Palin...that would be a sit com.

That said, I would like to see recall legislation that applied to all politicians. But a politician being recalled because they jumped from one party to another would be a poor reason for recall  IMO.
Another person that thinks party lines do not matter, yet does not question why jump lines in the first place if it does not matter?

Switiching parties DOES matter. Republican voters WOULD NOT have voted for him if he were a democrat. Job security is the main reason he switched. He knew he would loose if he ran as a republican his next term, and why? BECAUSE PARTY LINES MATTER.

All of this "party lines do not matter it is the candidate that matters", crap cracks me up. If Obama switched parties there would be such an uproar it wouldn't even be funny. and all you "party lines do not matter" people, would be screaming

Last edited by lowing (2009-04-30 05:42:43)

rdx-fx
+955|6592
The modern Republican party (not to be confused with the Republican voters), has gutted itself.

The Republican party, for the last 8+ years, has pandered to the 1% vote from the loud, vocal religious right - at the expense of the independent/moderate 33% middle of the road.

GOP: "Listen to the center of the bell-curve of voters and win?  Nah.. let's make sure the right-side tail fringe 1% is happy with us."

The Democrats (led by BHO now) are drifting further left on the American political scale - and the Republicans are plastered against the far right of the American political scale.  There is a huge gap in the center, of disenfranchised, middle-of-the-road Independent voters.
  • Religiously Agnostic, Atheist, or plain Apathetic - the Republicans don't want you
  • Gun owner - the Democrats don't want you (go ahead, reason with a predator attacking your horses or cattle.. obvious the anti-gun crowd never lived in a truly agrarian or rural area)
  • Ranchers, Farmers, Small Business Owners - neither side knows what to do with you
  • Interested in stem-cell research - Republicans don't want you, and are sure you're going to hell
  • Interested in lower taxes, less government waste - neither party wants to hear it
  • Gives a damn whether gays have their civil unions - Republicans don't want you
  • Not interested in wasting money on misguided, wasteful racial welfare programs - Democrats think you're evil

So..  Where is an Atheist, Army Veteran, gun owner, economic conservative, social liberal*, anti-welfare, anti-bloated-business, anti-bailout, independent voter supposed to go?

* Social liberal - as in socially permissive, not socialist liberal politics

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-04-30 11:31:10)

cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6473|Kakanien
two-party-system sucks
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6447|Chicago, IL

rdx-fx wrote:

The modern Republican party (not to be confused with the Republican voters), has gutted itself.

The Republican party, for the last 8+ years, has pandered to the 1% vote from the loud, vocal religious right - at the expense of the independent/moderate 33% middle of the road.

GOP: "Listen to the center of the bell-curve of voters and win?  Nah.. let's make sure the right-side tail fringe 1% is happy with us."

The Democrats (led by BHO now) are drifting further left on the American political scale - and the Republicans are plastered against the far right of the American political scale.  There is a huge gap in the center, of disenfranchised, middle-of-the-road Independent voters.
  • Religiously Agnostic, Atheist, or plain Apathetic - the Republicans don't want you
  • Gun owner - the Democrats don't want you (go ahead, reason with a predator attacking your horses or cattle.. obvious the anti-gun crowd never lived in a truly agrarian or rural area)
  • Ranchers, Farmers, Small Business Owners - neither side knows what to do with you
  • Interested in stem-cell research - Republicans don't want you, and are sure you're going to hell
  • Interested in lower taxes, less government waste - neither party wants to hear it
  • Gives a damn whether gays have their civil unions - Republicans don't want you
  • Not interested in wasting money on misguided, wasteful racial welfare programs - Democrats think you're evil

So..  Where is an Atheist, Army Veteran, gun owner, economic conservative, social liberal*, anti-welfare, anti-bloated-business, anti-bailout, independent voter supposed to go?

* Social liberal - as in socially permissive, not socialist liberal politics
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't particularly like the Dems, but the party of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck is just too much.

There is a large swath of educated fiscal conservatives who have no representation in the current system, we're the ones who should be out there tea partying, not fox news and their mindless minions
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

There is an election coming up. Until then my official postion is (fart).

The Dems virtually had a super majority. All they needed was one or two defectors. .. something Specter did anyways. This entire thread is much ado about nothing. Do people really think it means something because this guy changed his official label?
Yes.  It matters because of the effect it has on public perceptions of the GOP.

When a highly established Senator leaves one party for another, that makes the party being left behind look bad.

For example, had Lieberman actually switched to the GOP instead of to being independent, it would've made the Democrats look a lot worse.

Specter's move is indicative of what his party was about to do to him in terms of primaries and also indicative of the party shift of many of his constituents.

If nothing else, this shows that the Republicans have a long way to go in turning Pennsylvania back into a true swing state.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard