But it's quite easy to do something about just that, what you need is:
- 2,5" SATA disc 5400 rpm - I will be using a Western Digital Scorpio 500GB
- A screwdriver
- An external HDD to backup your existing saves etc
Backing up files
1. Under games you will find your saved data
2. Connect your external HDD
3. Press the "triangle"
4. Choose "copy"
5. Choose target to copy to
6. Repeat until all your files are transferred to the external HDD
7. When finished, turn off the PS3 and disconnect all cables.
Remove old HDD
1. On the left side there is a cover, remove that.
2. You will now see 3 screws, remove the blue screw.
3. Flip out a little piece of metal.
4. Push the HDD to the right.
5. Pull out the HDD, with the little metal piece, do not use force.
Change the HDD
1. Unscrew 1 screw from each corner, 2 on each side.
2. Remove the HDD from its cover.
3. Place the new HDD in the cover.
4. Screw the 4 screws back on.
5. Put the new HDD in the PS3
6. Push it to the left
7. Put the blue screw back in its place, and the cover.
Reload the saved files
1. Connect all cables.
2. Turn on the PS3, if it ask to format choose yes.
3. Connect the external HDD.
4. Go to saved data under games.
5. Choose the external HDD
6. Find your saved files.
7. Press "triangle"
8. Choose "copy"
9. Wait for it to copy the data from the external to the PS3.
10. Repeat until all files are transferred.
I have yet to try this myself but will do it asap when my new HDD arrives ...