elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6461|USA
http://www.wtop.com/?sid=1659296&nid=695
Beverly Anderson is mad as hell. She just started to get tickets for parking in her own driveway.

That's right. The District of Columbia is ticketing people who park their cars in their own driveways.

"This is clearly an attempt by the city to extort money out of property owners," Anderson tells WTOP.

Anderson has received two of the $20 tickets in the past month. Anderson has owned the Capitol Hill house (and the driveway, so she thought) for more than ten years and has never gotten a ticket. And she's not alone.

It seems Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton has also been breaking the law in the eyes of the D.C. Department of Public Works.

"Not only has the Congresswoman been ticketed in her own driveway, she has received a towing ticket on her car parked in her driveway," writes Sonsyrea Tate Montgomery, a spokesperson for Norton. "She did what any other Member would do -and any resident. She contacted her Council Member, Tommy Wells, who assured her the Council will take care of this problem even if it means passing a new law."
honestly...
THE FUCK?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
For a person that criticises others for their use of the English language...

Here's a personal pro-tip:

Calling anything the 'gayest' makes you sound like a fucking moron. It is not a valid superlative term.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-04-24 20:00:05)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6525|Montucky

Uzique wrote:

Calling anything the 'gayest' makes you sound like a fucking moron. It is not a valid superlative term.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6163|Vancouver | Canada
We don't own the lawn outside of our house, but we still have to take care of it..

..but we don't get ticketed for parking in our own driveway.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5972|London, England

You can OWN property man, Earth is mother natures gift to the people and we are just squatting so some other righteous dude can take our place and continue the cycle of life
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York

Mutantbear wrote:

You can OWN property man, Earth is mother natures gift to the people and we are just squatting so some other righteous dude can take our place and continue the cycle of life
That was deep, man.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
Yo, pass the blunt, all this thinking about legislation and law and stuff has me trippin', bro.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Stimey
­
+786|6127|Ontario | Canada
­
­
­
­
­
­
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

It's DC. That's not surprising in the least.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6537|Boston, MA
"Any area between the property line and the building restriction line shall be considered as private property set aside and treated as public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner."
Honestly, if I lived in DC, I would start going to politicians' houses and sunbathe on their "public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner." What are they going to do? Kick you off public space?
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6722|US
DC manages to separate itself from reality and logic quite frequently.

After passing a handgun ban and experiencing record crime rates, DC argued the law was effective AND things would have been worse without it (contrary to the results experienced in the rest of the nation).

They define an M9 pistol as a "machine gun."

They elect criminals to make their laws...no joke (Mayor Berry?! WTF?)
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5582|The Wild West
were there a lot of junk cars parked in people's drive ways before this law was passed?
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6750|Reality
There was a family around here that had a garage which they converted into a room (office or something), they of course asked permission of the city to do the renovations. After they were finished they were then told they could no longer park in their driveway because they no longer had a garage.
Go figure.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

DefCon-17 wrote:

We don't own the lawn outside of our house, but we still have to take care of it..

Well, then Canada should change that. Everyone around here owns the property their house is on. There are property lines that go around the lawn/side/back of your house etc., that shows the property you own; including the driveway.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6688|Disaster Free Zone

xBlackPantherx wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Well, then Canada should change that. Everyone around here owns the property their house is on. There are property lines that go around the lawn/side/back of your house etc., that shows the property you own; including the driveway.
So pedestrians have to walk on the road or they're trespassing?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone

DrunkFace wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

walking on sidewalks-trespassing
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6603|England

DrunkFace wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

No, I don't think you quite got it. It's a similar law in England, you own the land your house is on, up to certain defined property lines. Pavements however are publically owned, and usually fall outside of your property. You can't be considered trespassing walking on a pavement, even if it falls inside someone's private property because the pavement itself is public.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

rh27 wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

No, I don't think you quite got it. It's a similar law in England, you own the land your house is on, up to certain defined property lines. Pavements however are publically owned, and usually fall outside of your property. You can't be considered trespassing walking on a pavement, even if it falls inside someone's private property because the pavement itself is public.
Yet my Great Uncle charges the UK Government a massive amount of rent for a road they put through his land? gg.

He also charges them a crapload for the quarry they put on his land.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
bennisboy
+829|6653|Poundland

Uzique wrote:

Yeah, its bait "the most gay"
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6266|B.C. Canada

DefCon-17 wrote:

wtf? My parents own their WHOLE property the house sites on. I am pretty damn sure everyone does. We all have property lines.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6452|The Land of Scott Walker
Received a similar ticket a couple years back.  Said I was "parked on the terrace", $20 ticket.  Apparently the terrace is the area of the driveway between the sidewalk and the road.  The city claims this is their property, but I don't see them busting their back shoveling it off all winter.

Edit: Yes, it is, in fact the gayest law EVER.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2009-04-25 16:59:46)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum
in germany you don't own, but are responsible for the cleanliness of the pavement outside your property. i think
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6688|Disaster Free Zone

trex1210 wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

wtf? My parents own their WHOLE property the house sites on. I am pretty damn sure everyone does. We all have property lines.
Although nature strips are the responsibility of Council, residents of abutting properties are expected to maintain the nature strip by regular, mowing, maintenance and clearing of litter and rubbish.

The policy aims to ensure appropriate treatments are used on nature strips while still allowing safe access for pedestrians, postal deliveries, vehicles using the road, kerbside parking and rubbish collection.
You know the 6-10 feet of land adjacent to the street before your 'property'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard