Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Spanish prosecutors have decided to press forward with a criminal investigation targeting former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and five top associates over their role in the torture of five Spanish citizens held at Guantánamo, several reliable sources close to the investigation have told The Daily Beast. Their decision is expected to be announced on Tuesday before the Spanish central criminal court, the Audencia Nacional, in Madrid. But the decision is likely to raise concerns with the human-rights community on other points: They will seek to have the case referred to a different judge.

The six defendants—in addition to Gonzales, Federal Appeals Court Judge and former Assistant Attorney General Jay Bybee, University of California law professor and former Deputy Assistant Attorney General John Yoo, former Defense Department general counsel and current Chevron lawyer William J. Haynes II, Vice President Cheney’s former chief of staff David Addington, and former Undersecretary of Defense Douglas J. Feith—are accused of having given the green light to the torture and mistreatment of prisoners held in U.S. detention in “the war on terror.” The case arises in the context of a pending proceeding before the court involving terrorism charges against five Spaniards formerly held at Guantánamo. A group of human-rights lawyers originally filed a criminal complaint asking the court to look at the possibility of charges against the six American lawyers. Baltasar Garzón Real, the investigating judge, accepted the complaint and referred it to Spanish prosecutors for a view as to whether they would accept the case and press it forward. “The evidence provided was more than sufficient to justify a more comprehensive investigation,” one of the lawyers associated with the prosecution stated.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- … -indicted/
Time for everyone to just let it go. Bush is no longer President we have a democrat in the whitehouse now and we're trying to fix our mutual problem the best we can.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Macbeth wrote:

Time for everyone to just let it go. Bush is no longer President we have a democrat in the whitehouse now and we're trying to fix our mutual problem the best we can.
Nobody was held accountable for the torture of the Spanish citizens. If it were us citizens tortured by Spain, I'd be a million dollars you would be up in arms claiming that should be prosecuted.

You can't brush torture under the carpet just because the next govt. is in office.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Nobody was held accountable for the torture of the Spanish citizens. If it were us citizens tortured by Spain, I'd be a million dollars you would be up in arms claiming that should be prosecuted.

You can't brush torture under the carpet just because the next govt. is in office.
We are trying to make things right. Let us handle our own you'll get back your Spaniards. Don't try to punish us for what we did, we'll do it ourselves.
PureFodder
+225|6278
'The Daily Beast' is a real newspaper!?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6674|Disaster Free Zone

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

We are trying to make things right. Let us handle our own you'll get back your Spaniards. Don't try to punish us for what we did, we'll do it ourselves.
Hahahaha Lol... funny.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

PureFodder wrote:

It was reported by a bunch a few days ago I just picked the nicest looking one.
Onidax
+41|6486
Yo can let breaking the law go or the law becomes pointless.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Good luck. Spain..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6642
I doubt they'll see any results but I quite like the idea of this. Someone has to be held accountable.
imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX
Does Spain have the right to pursue criminal charges for a potential crime that did not even take place on their soil?  Can we then go indict the government of Holland conspiracy in drug dealing?

Crimes against your citiezens while abroad is a case for the State Department.  You negotiate with governments in this instance.

Can they come over here and arrest some illegal aliens for us?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Macbeth wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

It was reported by a bunch a few days ago I just picked the nicest looking one.
No.. I'll do you a favor ..lol
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSLH62645

It's up to the investigation to find out the details. But if you felt like someone close to you was tortured would you let it go because there was an election? fckdat
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

imortal wrote:

Does Spain have the right to pursue criminal charges for a potential crime that did not even take place on their soil?  Can we then go indict the government of Holland conspiracy in drug dealing?

Crimes against your citiezens while abroad is a case for the State Department.  You negotiate with governments in this instance.

Yes. They have the right to protect the human rights of their citizens.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6674|Disaster Free Zone

imortal wrote:

I don't see why not, happened enough by UK and US on Germans after WWII, I don't see much of a difference in this case.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

imortal wrote:

Yes. They have the right to protect the human rights of their citizens.
Agree.. cause we would go apeshit if it were Americans. We might even blow their heads off in the middle of the night.. on Easter Sunday. They're not bringing charges right now. It's an investigation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6642

imortal wrote:

Yes, Spain do have the right but tbh the worst that could happen is that those charged will never be allowed into the country.

These crimes are under the category of crimes against humanity which are internationally recognized as illegal. Holland can sell weed as long as they abide by the international treaties requiring them to sell in Holland and in Holland only.

Atleast I think...
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5987|Truthistan

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

imortal wrote:

Yes, Spain do have the right but tbh the worst that could happen is that those charged will never be allowed into the country.

These crimes are under the category of crimes against humanity which are internationally recognized as illegal. Holland can sell weed as long as they abide by the international treaties requiring them to sell in Holland and in Holland only.

Atleast I think...
If Spain does have jurisdiction.. which is doubtful, and they convict these guys. It would mean that if these guys would have a hard time traveling anyway that had an extradiction treaty with Spain.

It would probably mean no European vacation for them.
13rin
+977|6472

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Waterbording and Caterpillars is hardly torture.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6756
The United States has generally not given over its citizens for foreign prosecution. I would be surprised if it did now for something like this.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

DBBrinson1 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Waterbording and Caterpillars is hardly torture.
Your opinion is hardly expert...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Diesel_dyk wrote:

It would mean that if these guys would have a hard time traveling anyway that had an extradiction treaty with Spain.
That's a lot of places....
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
If Spain were abducting and torturing US citizens the US would be going apeshit.

Good on the Spanish.

Macbeth wrote:

Time for everyone to just let it go.
Maybe the US should 'let it go'.
Bin Laden is sidelined, the Taleban were booted out of Afghanistan, time to take a break from the 'war of terror'.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-04-24 03:00:23)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6624|Finland

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Hai thar.
I need around tree fiddy.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire
No one in the Bush administration will be held accountable (or punished at least) for any wrongdoing in the name of the war on terror but Spain are fully entitled to try if they want. There are still nazis being punished today even though Germany have been perfectly peaceful and liberal for the last  60-70 years, shall we stop punishing them and let bygones be bygones?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

DonFck wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Hai thar.
But do the US recognise the authority of the ICC?

I don't think they do...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6646
Guys, is Macbeth a troll, or have I been away from forums for too long to believe that someone can be that stupid?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard