Defiance
+438|6690

Got a TB drive today and set it up with a 500GB, 300GB and 100GB partition and a bit left over for the future.

Through the windows reformat tool, I set the 500GB partition to 512000MB, 500(GB) * 1024.
In disc management, the partition shows as exactly 500GB.
In the right click -> properties window though, the drive has 536,870,907,904 bytes, or 499.9999962GB total capacity.

Furthermore, the same window says the drive has 105MB used space already. I haven't touched it, and with hidden files and system files showing the most that's on the drive is a few KB from Diskeeper. This pattern is the same (though the used space varies) on the other two partitions.

I've disabled the recycle bin on these partitions as well as the page file. What else could be using this space, and more importantly, what accounts for the few KB outside of disk management?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6785|Cambridge (UK)
It's probably windows.

Don't worry about it.
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5832

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It's probably windows.

Don't worry about it.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6410

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It's probably windows.

Don't worry about it.
But keep an eye on that usage if you use Vista.  If you don't put many large files on it, but find the memory disappears inexplicably, the install of vista may have misconfigured the shadow storage and set it to unlimited (so the computer makes system restore points indefinitely without deleting old ones).  It happened to my first install of Vista Business.

Quick check to see if this is the case (only applies to vista as far as I know):
cmd
vssadmin list shadowstorage

Check last line of list shows a value and not set to 0 or unlimited (can't remember what value represents unlimited)
Fix in advance, in case you do have that problem.
Defiance
+438|6690

jamiet757 wrote:

MTF, system restore, and system files (yes I know even though you have them showing and you can't see them) are the culprit. What is the big deal? Just deal with it, it is not that much space.
Well, the MFT shouldn't be very big as there weren't any files on the drive. System restore is disabled on all drives. Finally, what new system files have to take up a decent amount of space on a newly formatted drive that's just being used for raw storage? On every new partition?

It's not that big a deal. I've reformatted the partitions with an extra MB so they show up in Explorer at the intended value. Just seems a bit pointless.
Defiance
+438|6690

jamiet757 wrote:

Do you have a swap file enabled?
Only 512 MB on the system partition, nowhere else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard