ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Hello there

Visiting home from uni, I've discovered that my network is a complete mess and insists on falling over all the time, and meaning that the whole thing has to by power cycled to get it to work again. Basically, my network looks like this:

Outside world -> ISP's internet box thing -> Linksys WRT54G  -> Linksys 5port 10/100 Switch    -> Computer #1
                                                                                           |Laptop on wireless                    | Computer #2
                                                                                                                                           | Computer #3

Hopefully that diagram makes some sense to some of you.

The current issue is that for some reason the internet drops, and rather than start working properly again I have to power cycle the internet box thing, the router and the switch, and plug them back in in the order that they are in from the wall. What can I do about this? Should I just replace the router with a new one? What's the best home router out there right now? I've always used Linksys stuff, but I'm starting to think they're utter crap.

Any reasonable suggestions welcome.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6585|London
Is this cable or adsl? Could be a dead dsl filter. Could also just be your ISP. Upgrade router firmware.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6207|Winland

Why not use the ethernet switch in the WRT54G?

Anyhow, it's probably the modem going bad. Try with another one.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Brasso
+1,549|6640

i've said it a hundred times, and i'll say it again: with DD-WRT firmware, that router is among the best in the world (save the WRT54GL).  flash it with DD-WRT and see if it helps.

you also have both a router and a switch.  that's fine, but you can isolate which one is the problem by using either one or the other.  if both seem to have the same problem, it might be the cable modem/DSL filter (whichever you have).
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

haffeysucks wrote:

i've said it a hundred times, and i'll say it again: with DD-WRT firmware, that router is among the best in the world (save the WRT54GL).  flash it with DD-WRT and see if it helps.

you also have both a router and a switch.  that's fine, but you can isolate which one is the problem by using either one or the other.  if both seem to have the same problem, it might be the cable modem/DSL filter (whichever you have).
Tomato tbh.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6702|England
Tried setting static IP's on the computers? I've had a problem before where one PC kept trying to steal an IP of another PC running off the switch.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Aries_37 wrote:

Is this cable or adsl? Could be a dead dsl filter. Could also just be your ISP. Upgrade router firmware.
Cable.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Why not use the ethernet switch in the WRT54G?

Anyhow, it's probably the modem going bad. Try with another one.
The router is downstairs, and I've got one ethernet cable running upstairs to the switch, which then 3 computers hook up to.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Tomato tbh.
I thought Tomato only works on the GL version though? Is that the same for the DD-WRT firmware?

Drykill wrote:

Tried setting static IP's on the computers? I've had a problem before where one PC kept trying to steal an IP of another PC running off the switch.
Good idea, I'll give that a shot.

Haffey, if I get the house to myself for a while I'll try running a computer straight off the router, see if that helps.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Fucksakes, just looked into it and Tomato only works up to v4 of the WRT54G model and DD-WRT works on everything except v7, which predictably is the version I have.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

ghettoperson wrote:

Fucksakes, just looked into it and Tomato only works up to v4 of the WRT54G model and DD-WRT works on everything except v7, which predictably is the version I have.
<3 WRT54GL
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Thing is, getting my parents to pay for a router that looks exactly the same might be difficult...
Brasso
+1,549|6640

ghettoperson wrote:

aw hell that sucks.  idk about where you are, but the WRT54G can be had for around $25 on eBay.  dunno bout the WRT54GL, look and ask around for used ones.

ghettoperson wrote:

Haffey, if I get the house to myself for a while I'll try running a computer straight off the router, see if that helps.
yeah, i think that'd be a good idea before you go buying a new router.  for all you know, it could be the modem/filter.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-04-12 11:56:20)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5727|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Try powering off JUST the modem, then back on, then wait 5 minutes for teh WRt54G to grab and initialize a new IP, see if ti works then. If you have internet, it's the modem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard