GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6384|Finland

How can that tiny ass cable work out better than xonar ? oO
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What utter nonsense.

No one cares about THX, but Dolby and DTS are very worthwhile for lots of people who are into audio. Unless you're talking about the big pile of shite that is prologic....
DVD Audio and SACD only. Who has them here? Anybody?
I do.

Converted all my DTS-Audio CDs to play back on PC too. Wrote a big old batch script to change the sample rate so they sound right. Took ages, but was worth it. Split to 6 mono tracks, resample each track at the right rate, recombine the tracks and you end up with nice .dts files that actually work.
jesus
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Who would be so stupid to "buy a similarly performing external DAC for three or four times the price"? This doesn't make any sense. Do you have a DAC? I compared soundcards to DACs that cost less and over perform soundcards. Why? Because they are concentrated on best 2.0 stereo sound while with soundcards you pay 50% of its cost for Dolby and THX license which no one who's really into audio needs/wants. Soundcards are overpriced not DACs.
Right. Show me an external DAC for under $90 with over 100dB SNR and under 0.005% distortion. I dare you.
http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Cable … d69d874dad

60$

laugh some more dick
That is a sound card in my book. It is powered by the computer, and it requires its own drivers on the computer.

Even so, it only performs almost as good as a Xonar DX, and doesn't come with either a trace of an ADC, or more than two channels. Not bad for $60, if all you want is decent two-channel audio out, but in my opinion, the high-end ADC, better performance and added flexibility of the Xonar is worth $20.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Right. Show me an external DAC for under $90 with over 100dB SNR and under 0.005% distortion. I dare you.
http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Cable … d69d874dad

60$

laugh some more dick
That is a sound card in my book. It is powered by the computer, and it requires its own drivers on the computer.

Even so, it only performs almost as good as a Xonar DX, and doesn't come with either a trace of an ADC, or more than two channels. Not bad for $60, if all you want is decent two-channel audio out, but in my opinion, the high-end ADC, better performance and added flexibility of the Xonar is worth $20.
Your book of rules that Moses wrote himself? Get the fuck out. Its a DAC   .  And why would anyone want ADC for music listening? Are you trolling?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Your book of rules that Moses wrote himself? Get the fuck out. Its a DAC   .  And why would anyone want ADC for music listening? Are you trolling?
It is a DAC. But the opinion that it's just a striped down external sound card is just as valid.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Cable/USB-DAC-Cable-with-35mm-Mini-Plug-75cm-30::10134.html?XTCsid=043ad788ff15ea26e1800bd69d874dad

60$

laugh some more dick

The Xonar is also a DAC by that definition. The only difference is that that thing is connected to another bus, about 20cm away. You also don't get a dedicated power supply, one of the more valid (and also more costly) features of an external DAC.

I didn't say it's bad for music listening, it also is beyond the point of diminishing returns when it comes to sound quality, as long as your amplifier has high-enough input impedance to compensate for the minimal bypass capacitors. However, it does not perform as good as the DX, and you're sacrificing a lot of features for small savings. I don't know about you, but I'm a gamer, and I use a microphone with my PC on a daily basis.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-02-10 14:37:09)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The Xonar is also a DAC by that definition. The only difference is that that thing is connected to another bus, about 20cm away. You also don't get a dedicated power supply, one of the more valid (and also more costly) features of an external DAC.

I didn't say it's bad for music listening, it also is beyond the point of diminishing returns when it comes to sound quality, as long as your amplifier has high-enough input impedance to compensate for the minimal bypass capacitors. However, it does not perform as good as the DX, and you're sacrificing a lot of features for small savings. I don't know about you, but I'm a gamer, and I use a microphone with my PC on a daily basis.
O fcourse everything that plays audio has a DAC but that doesn't mean that cable is a soundcard.

And how would you know DX compares better to the usb DAC cable? And don't tell me specs cause they don't mean half of it
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

O fcourse everything that plays audio has a DAC but that doesn't mean that cable is a soundcard.

And how would you know DX compares better to the usb DAC cable? And don't tell me specs cause they don't mean half of it
Oh golly, here we go again!

"Measurements don't matter! The oogie-boogie Audio Gods have dipped this peripheral in the holy well of music! No human engineering could ever match this treatment, thou they are not sacred!"

It doesn't work that way. Electro-acoustic engineering is a very well-understood area of science, and every change in sound you hear can be very well explained. This applies especially to things like digital-to-analogue converters, as they don't even touch the "acoustic" part of it. They are purely electronic devices, that might as well be used in function generators or in measurement devices! And brand A function generator won't generate a tone better than brand B just because it has "audiophile grade" capacitors in the power supply. In fact, you won't find "audiophile grade" capacitors in even the most expensive of function generators, I wonder why...

Anyhow, now that we're past that, the cable you linked to is a good and cheap device for converting digital signals to analogue, but it is to the same extent vulnerable to the same things as an internal sound card is, which makes me wonder why it would be better than an internal card in the first place.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-02-10 15:09:37)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Bought the latest Kindle - Paperwhite version.

My dad dropped his older model version so gave him mine and decided to upgrade.

Not sure how the light will be, looking forward to it though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard