Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5571|The Wild West
and did absolutely nothing to avoid it, whats the big deal?  Why make a martyr out of someone who did nothing to avoid his doom?  People died on the cross before and after, Im sure many of them were innocent of any crime.

if everything that happened was supposed to happen, whats the big deal?
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6623|Canada
i dunno. Religion is irrational.

Christianity: A womans lie to to cover up a affair that went too far.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5991|Truthistan
Perhaps JC ran a gambit. He was challenging the high Jewish priests. He was teaching right under their noses. He knew one person would be pardoned by the Romans. May be he gambled, let himself be taken prisoner, thinking that his followers would come on mass to ensure he was set free. If he were set free, it would have been a huge blow to the Jewish high priests. Instead, the priests packed the meeting to ensure his death.

So may be he didn't know his fate. may be if his gamble paid off he would have become a reforming high priest and all the Christians would still be Jews.
Instead he died, became a martyr, and Christianity was born.
Lai
+186|6147

Man With No Name wrote:

Im sure many of them were innocent of any crime.
I'm sure Jesus was guilty, just like the rest.
13rin
+977|6476
I think it had something to do with... Eventhough he knew he was going to die, it was by his own free choosing to do so -he could have avoided it.

But don't quote me on this.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Well...  let's take it a step further.  If an omnipotent, omniscient being created a race that it knew beforehand would fuck things up...  what's the point of salvation and damnation?  The game is rigged if the guy who created it knew the outcome before it even happened and has the power to set things up however he wants.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I think it had something to do with... Eventhough he knew he was going to die, it was by his own free choosing to do so -he could have avoided it.

Jesus was God in the flesh of man.  He was made in man's image to show the world that God was willing to offer an ultimate sacrifice for the sins of humanity.  It was as if God sent Jesus to sort of clean the slate for all the sins created by humanity since the Old Testament.  That action (God sending his son as a sacrifice for humanity) was supposed to convince man that we too had to sacrifice for our sins, and to convince man that God was not the spiteful God of the Old Testament, but a loving God who so loved the world he gave up his only son blah blah... (John 3:16).

It's not that Jesus knew his fate and did nothing to change it, it was as if it could not happen any other way - he was "programmed" to do so for the sake of humanity.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6219|Brisneyland
I dont think he was particularly happy about the situation. From memory, he yelled " God why have you forsaken me" ( or similar) , but he knew he died for our sins.

Man with no mane wrote:

f everything that happened was supposed to happen, whats the big deal?
I guess its the ultimate sacrifce thats the big deal. A sign of gods love etc.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

Burwhale wrote:

Man with no mane wrote:

f everything that happened was supposed to happen, whats the big deal?
I guess its the ultimate sacrifce thats the big deal. A sign of gods love etc.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
When you're immortal, you know you're immortal, and you know you're headed for heaven no matter what, and heaven is meant to be the perfect place, then I can't really see dying as such a biggy.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

GS wrote:

If Jesus Knew His Fate and did absolutely nothing to avoid it, whats the big deal?
I thought that was the point, he sacrificed himself to enlighten others.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon
i've always liked how judas is derided for betraying jesus even though judas was the catalyst for the creation of christianity.
13rin
+977|6476

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Jesus was God in the flesh of man.  He was made in man's image to show the world that God was willing to offer an ultimate sacrifice for the sins of humanity.  It was as if God sent Jesus to sort of clean the slate for all the sins created by humanity since the Old Testament.  That action (God sending his son as a sacrifice for humanity) was supposed to convince man that we too had to sacrifice for our sins, and to convince man that God was not the spiteful God of the Old Testament, but a loving God who so loved the world he gave up his only son blah blah... (John 3:16).

It's not that Jesus knew his fate and did nothing to change it, it was as if it could not happen any other way - he was "programmed" to do so for the sake of humanity.
Goddammit... You quoted me. 

I was just recalling my 'programming' and what the concept of 'free will' in man was.  Jesus was a man too.  Yes he knew about his faith and could have hauled ass, but he didn't.  He sacrificed himself.  Again, just trying to remember old v1.0 dated programming (sermons)...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6387

Flecco wrote:

When you're immortal, you know you're immortal, and you know you're headed for heaven no matter what, and heaven is meant to be the perfect place, then I can't really see dying as such a biggy.
Well, if you had nails put through your hands/wrists and feet then hauled up by said nails after getting flogged and beaten to the extent you need someone to help carry your method of dying, I don't think you'd give two shits whether you were going to see the world afterwards or not.  There is a difference between getting shot and getting held up by nails.

Or to put it more simply, if you had to cut your testicles in half with a blunt, rusty razor in the knowledge that they would grow back after you'd finished mutilating them, would you care about whether or not you were cutting them in the first place?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

Well...  let's take it a step further.  If an omnipotent, omniscient being created a race that it knew beforehand would fuck things up...  what's the point of salvation and damnation?  The game is rigged if the guy who created it knew the outcome before it even happened and has the power to set things up however he wants.
Because that same God gave man free will.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

But he already knew he was going to fuck up. Wouldn't it be a fucked up thing to create a race that you knew was going to fuck up and then punish them for it?
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

But he already knew he was going to fuck up. Wouldn't it be a fucked up thing to create a race that you knew was going to fuck up and then punish them for it?
You give them free will and tell them what they need to do. Then they have the choice to do what is right (in your eyes) or not. You know right off the bat that some won't.

Maybe He's just a big insecure teddy bear that needs someone to choose to love Him.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

You give them free will and tell them what they need to do. Then they have the choice to do what is right (in your eyes) or not. You know right off the bat that some won't.

Maybe He's just a big insecure teddy bear that needs someone to choose to love Him.
Still sounds fucked up to give him will knowing he is going to fuck up then punish him for fucking up even though you new he would all the time without giving him 100% proof you exist.
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Still sounds fucked up to give him will knowing he is going to fuck up then punish him for fucking up even though you new he would all the time without giving him 100% proof you exist.
Yeah, well that is what faith is: belief absent proof.

And the whole point is you give man free will, knowing he can choose to fuck up, even though he has been told the punishment for doing so. Call it adult learning if you want.
― Albert Einstein

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

And the whole point is you give man free will, knowing he can choose to fuck up, even though he has been told the punishment for doing so. Call it adult learning if you want.
What about that group of people who never hear about God or Jesus? They make whatever fuck up they make then get punished for it without even knowing the rules? What happens to them?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6387

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What about that group of people who never hear about God or Jesus? They make whatever fuck up they make then get punished for it without even knowing the rules? What happens to them?
No one knows, hence missionaries.
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Nope. Those who haven't heard the Word of God aren't held responsible for not following it.

I believe the Bible says something about Rapture won't come until every person has had a chance to hear and accept the Word of God.
― Albert Einstein

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Nope. Those who haven't heard the Word of God aren't held responsible for not following it.

I believe the Bible says something about Rapture won't come until every person has had a chance to hear and accept the Word of God.
Well that is fair enough since they probably live in the middle of nowhere.

That is a relief and a nice way of explaining to everyone why the rapture hasn't happened in 2000 years.
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Well that is fair enough since they probably live in the middle of nowhere.

That is a relief and a nice way of explaining to everyone why the rapture hasn't happened in 2000 years.
I'm no Biblical scholar...that's just the way it's been explained to me by multiple people from multiple Christian denominations.
― Albert Einstein

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5607|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Man With No Name wrote:

and did absolutely nothing to avoid it, whats the big deal?  Why make a martyr out of someone who did nothing to avoid his doom?  People died on the cross before and after, Im sure many of them were innocent of any crime.

if everything that happened was supposed to happen, whats the big deal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJonM0fM54
He knew His fate and He recognized that He had to go through with it, as it was His sacrifice that atoned for all people's sins. He asked His Father to "Take this cup from Me", but said that it should be the Father's will that was fulfilled to save Humankind from sin, and if that was the only way, it would have to be done. He was the only truly innocent and perfect human ever, but was also 100% God at the same time as being 100% Man. He was the atoning sacrifice for humanity and He knew it. That is why.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
He may or may not have died on the cross as they say.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard