Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

ATG wrote:

I hope they can swim.
Such a set up...but I'm resisting.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Oi, I already set up a Pirate Chats thread, and I was just about to put this in there, ATG, don't steal my thunder, at least put it/merge in my Pirate Chats Aprils thread

Awesome stuff though, I'm wondering how they did it though I'd imagine the pirates were reasonably armed and the crew, not so reasonably armed

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-04-08 10:16:31)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

I'm wondering how they did it though I'd imagine the pirates were reasonably armed and the crew, not so reasonably armed
Because the crew was American. And we're total badasses.

That's how.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-04-08 10:20:47)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

I laughed at this too : "Another U.S. official, citing a readout from an interagency conference call, said: "Multiple reliable sources are now reporting that the Maersk Alabama is now under control of the U.S. crew. The crew reportedly has one pirate in custody. The status of others is unclear, they are believed to be in the water."

The ship was carrying emergency relief to Mombasa, Kenya, when it was hijacked, said Peter Beck-Bang, spokesman for the Copenhagen-based container shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_af/piracy
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

Oi, I already set up a Pirate Chats thread, and I was just about to put this in there, ATG, don't steal my thunder, at least put it/merge in my Pirate Chats Aprils thread
Don't make him throw you in the water.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
And where would said thread be???
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone

Mekstizzle wrote:

Awesome stuff though, I'm wondering how they did it though I'd imagine the pirates were reasonably armed and the crew, not so reasonably armed
From my extensive viewing of discovery channel, the ships defense include high pressure hoses to stop anyone boarding and as a last resort the captain has a single pistol. Other then that, it seems it was 20 v 4, not great odds for the pirates.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6575|Columbus, OH
American Cowboys.

The event probably went like this:
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5572|The Wild West
ships capn has been reportedly taken hostages
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

loubot wrote:

American Cowboys.
Everytime I see that I think of this now.. Europe's bad mouthing of America gives comfort to our enemies. I mean, those guys values are so messed up they think calling someone a "cowboy" is an insult. ..lol
Those poor cattle ranchers.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Kmarion wrote:

loubot wrote:

American Cowboys.
Everytime I see that I think of this now.. Europe's bad mouthing of America gives comfort to our enemies. I mean, those guys values are so messed up they think calling someone a "cowboy" is an insult. ..lol
well europe is full of sheep shaggers so......
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6515|Montucky

usmarine wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

loubot wrote:

American Cowboys.
well europe is full of sheep shaggers so......
Heh.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5572|The Wild West
shepard smith just said "shit" instead of ship
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5929|CA
That's what they get for fucking with the USS Ninja.
13rin
+977|6476
Oh hell yea!  GG
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
Captain is held hostage atm
BVC
+325|6693
Well done that crew!

Did they have any guns/security staff on board?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5996|Vortex Ring State

Pubic wrote:

Well done that crew!

Did they have any guns/security staff on board?
Nope.

Blackwater/Xe wants to provide security for ships, but yeah, it's complicated.

Too bad the captain is held hostage, they should shoot the hostage-guarders with the captured weapons. (Assuming it can be done safely of course.

And you can thank Buffalo Bill for the European's American stereotype.
Reciprocity
+721|6578|the dank(super) side of Oregon
you'd think it would be economically feasible to have at least one marksman on board to kill these guys as they approach.  the prospect of being shot with a high powered rifle might discourage these boys, they ain't exactly jihadis.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Reciprocity wrote:

you'd think it would be economically feasible to have at least one marksman on board to kill these guys as they approach.  the prospect of being shot with a high powered rifle might discourage these boys, they ain't exactly jihadis.
Some do apparently. There was a captain on the radio here in Tampa telling the host that they are carrying on some ships. He couldn't disclose who he worked for so it's kinda wishy washy though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

well good thing clinton cut and ran from somalia.  good job eh?

fail
Reciprocity
+721|6578|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it seems odd to me that these huge ships are so vulnerable to a handful of skinnies approaching in speedboats.  just getting aboad would would be awkward and leave them vulnerable unless there's a big open door on the side of the hull.
CC-Marley
+407|6826
Good article
‘‘They are all Boston Irish kids, and they are tough,’’ Murphy said of the crew.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki … ariti.html

plus http://multimedia.boston.com/m/22046301 … ttacks.htm

Last edited by CC-Marley (2009-04-08 20:44:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard