Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

# Added Battlefield 2142 style prone deviation - Fixed (going prone will now cause reduced accuracy for a brief period the same system BF2142 uses)

Is this going to be in, because I will not play.
It will only have a big effect on you if you prone at a range so close that you could crouch for the same effect.

I know, I've played it. So many idiots here are hating on the prone dev without even seeing how it's implemented.

It's not like in 2142 where it takes like 5 seconds to correct, it takes at most .5 seconds to go away (much shorter for most weapons), so it really only prevents people from dropping to the floor in CQC, it will hardly affect long distance engagements unless you have hacks or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywb-NR9vG40

As you can see, only really noticeable on the assault rifles.
This is my point exactly. They're changing the gameplay again, and this time i, and many others, couldn't be fucked to adapt to it. It's unneeded. 1.5 should be entirely bugfix, the gameplay is already well established and unchanged for over two years.
Did you even watch the video, the deviation is corrected before you're even fully on the group for every gun save the AR's. Proning will only really be a bad idea at close range, where you would be better off crouching anyway.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6758

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

It will only have a big effect on you if you prone at a range so close that you could crouch for the same effect.

I know, I've played it. So many idiots here are hating on the prone dev without even seeing how it's implemented.

It's not like in 2142 where it takes like 5 seconds to correct, it takes at most .5 seconds to go away (much shorter for most weapons), so it really only prevents people from dropping to the floor in CQC, it will hardly affect long distance engagements unless you have hacks or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywb-NR9vG40

As you can see, only really noticeable on the assault rifles.
This is my point exactly. They're changing the gameplay again, and this time i, and many others, couldn't be fucked to adapt to it. It's unneeded. 1.5 should be entirely bugfix, the gameplay is already well established and unchanged for over two years.
Did you even watch the video, the deviation is corrected before you're even fully on the group for every gun save the AR's. Proning will only really be a bad idea at close range, where you would be better off crouching anyway.
Regardless, I will not be playing when this is implemented. 2142 is a dead game, the reason bf2 was going so strong is because it's better the way it is now. If you don't believe me, then just take this as an example; These rankings are taken from xfire.com. Bf2 is placing a strong 6th on the total time played this week. In comparison 2142 has a dismal 36th place. Introducing mechanics from a dead game is not the answer.

Battlefield 2
    38220     #6     Digital Illusions
    EA Games   

Battlefield 2142
    7751     #36     Digital Illusions
    EA Games
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Regardless, I will not be playing when this is implemented. 2142 is a dead game, the reason bf2 was going so strong is because it's better the way it is now. If you don't believe me, then just take this as an example; These rankings are taken from xfire.com. Bf2 is placing a strong 6th on the total time played this week. In comparison 2142 has a dismal 36th place. Introducing mechanics from a dead game is not the answer.

Battlefield 2
    EA Games   

Battlefield 2142
    EA Games
2142 had tanks, I guess BF2 shouldn't have tanks in it because tanks obviously make games worse
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6758

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Battlefield 2
    EA Games   

Battlefield 2142
    EA Games
2142 had tanks, I guess BF2 shouldn't have tanks in it because tanks obviously make games worse
You're misinterpreting. At it's current state the gameplay in bf2 is a perfectly blended middleground. There is no need to introduce any new movement mechanics, no one was complaining about it in the first place. This patch, and all others should be bugfixing, and balancing. It's a 100% horrible idea to implement the 2142 prone devation. If it isn't fucking broken, then don't fix it.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Battlefield 2
    EA Games   

Battlefield 2142
    EA Games
You're misinterpreting. At it's current state the gameplay in bf2 is a perfectly blended middleground. There is no need to introduce any new movement mechanics, no one was complaining about it in the first place. This patch, and all others should be bugfixing, and balancing. It's a 100% horrible idea to implement the 2142 prone devation. If it isn't fucking broken, then don't fix it.
Yes, but you're acting like it's ruining the game.

I've seen it, and it only effects you if you are in a certain range and using a certain weapon. I never said it was a necessary addition but it's nothing to get your panties up in a bunch over. And as I've said previously, the situations where it would have maximum negative effect, you'd be better off crouching instead of proning even without it. It's redundant unless you're dolphine-diving, something that hasn't been a big problem since the last patch.

At first I was really concerned about this, but when I saw how well implemented it was, my concerns were gone instantly. It is only going to be a problem if you are using an assault rifle at close range, and you should be crouching or standing then anyway.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6758

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I've seen it, and it only effects you if you are in a certain range and using a certain weapon. I never said it was a necessary addition but it's nothing to get your panties up in a bunch over. And as I've said previously, the situations where it would have maximum negative effect, you'd be better off crouching instead of proning even without it. It's redundant unless you're dolphine-diving, something that hasn't been a big problem since the last patch.

At first I was really concerned about this, but when I saw how well implemented it was, my concerns were gone instantly. It is only going to be a problem if you are using an assault rifle at close range, and you should be crouching or standing then anyway.
But it is ruining the game, it's been this way for two years or more why should it change now? There is no justification for it, it's just not necessary. It reminds me of the dynamic weapon pricing failure that valve had for CSS. It's an unnecessary gimmick/gameplay change that brings no real benefit to the game at all.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

But it is ruining the game, it's been this way for two years or more why should it change now? There is no justification for it, it's just not necessary. It reminds me of the dynamic weapon pricing failure that valve had for CSS. It's an unnecessary gimmick/gameplay change that brings no real benefit to the game at all.
But it's not. You've never experienced it, you have no idea how insignificant it is. All you're saying is that they shouldn't change it for the sake of not changing it.

It doesn't break the game, it hardly changes the game. You are just looking for something to moan about and this is it. No matter how it is explained to you, you'll hate it because you want to have something to hate.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6758

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

But it's not. You've never experienced it, you have no idea how insignificant it is. All you're saying is that they shouldn't change it for the sake of not changing it.

It doesn't break the game, it hardly changes the game. You are just looking for something to moan about and this is it. No matter how it is explained to you, you'll hate it because you want to have something to hate.
I have experienced it, because i've played 2142. This is a direct mechanic taken from 2142, which is a BAD/dead game. There is no sense in implementing it. It will literally be the deathsentence for bf2.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I have experienced it, because i've played 2142. This is a direct mechanic taken from 2142, which is a BAD/dead game. There is no sense in implementing it. It will literally be the deathsentence for bf2.
But it's not "taken directly from 2142", the time it takes for the deviation to be corrected is many times quicker than in 2142. In fact by the time you've hit the ground, on any non AR or SMG weapon, it's been corrected already.

It's nothing like in 2142 where it takes several seconds to be corrected, it takes at most half a second to be corrected. And while half a second is a long time at close range, it won't be a problem at the ranges where proning is necessary.

You have no clue what you're talking about, seriously.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2009-07-29 20:43:54)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661
Doctor Strangelove version of BF2:
See enemy, enemy sees you, you both crouch or prone, either way your gun isn't accurate enough to guarantee a hit, you both fire off some shots, your enemy's random deviation happens to send a bullet into your head, you miss even though your aim was dead-on. awesome! but no, Doctor Strangelove, you hide behind you shield of semantics that is the word "fun" whenever someone calls you out on your insipid bullshit
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|6007|Aberdeen, Scotland

Lucien wrote:

See enemy, enemy sees you, you both crouch or prone, either way your gun isn't accurate enough to guarantee a hit, you both fire off some shots, your enemy's random deviation happens to send a bullet into your head, you miss even though your aim was dead-on. awesome!
Umm...how is this any different to what already happens in BF2?
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

Lucien wrote:

See enemy, enemy sees you, you both crouch or prone, either way your gun isn't accurate enough to guarantee a hit, you both fire off some shots, your enemy's random deviation happens to send a bullet into your head, you miss even though your aim was dead-on. awesome! but no, Doctor Strangelove, you hide behind you shield of semantics that is the word "fun" whenever someone calls you out on your insipid bullshit
Sargev1.4 version of BF2.

I am a pro. I see a n00b. I mash the same four buttons. I get a kill. Neither of us need to think.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661

I support turning BF2 infantry into a luck-based slow as hell shitfest, and then call others a tool for not liking the idea!
Good job on not trying to actually use "it's fun so shut up" as an argument this time, though
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661

Lucien wrote:

I support turning BF2 infantry into a luck-based slow as hell shitfest, and then call others a tool for not liking the idea!
Good job on not trying to actually use "it's fun so shut up" as an argument this time, though
final destination only fgt
because not wanting the game as it is changed = telling people exactly what weapons they should use and what maps they should play on?
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

Sarge v1.4 wrote:

BF2 (and indeed all FPS games) ought to be solely about who is better at pressing the same series of buttons and/or moving their mouse and should have absolutely shit all to do with how someone is able to use tactics or teamwork.
Because really, it's your wet dream.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661
oh look, my post got deleted.

So Doctor Strangelove, what do you think about the fact that with the prone deviation delay, there is no way to shoot accurately without a significant wait while standing still?
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

Lucien wrote:

oh look, my post got deleted.

So Doctor Strangelove, what do you think about the fact that with the prone deviation delay, there is no way to shoot accurately without a significant wait while standing still?
Crouch tbh.

Also the deviation corrects itself by the time you hit the ground. Really only a big deal for proning in CQC, which is a bad idea to begin with. At long range, the deviation corrects itself fast enough that you won't notice it. Recoil and the base deviation are larger concerns at the ranges where proning is necessary.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England
People are making such a huge fucking deal over this.

It's really not that bad. I think it's implemented very well. I don't think it's needed, but it's in the game well.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Unless I'm mistaken... I don't need to install any other patch before this, correct?
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5876|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ

Zimmer wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken... I don't need to install any other patch before this, correct?
If your talking about the beta, you might as well wait for the final it shouldn't be too long
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

If your talking about the beta, you might as well wait for the final it shouldn't be too long
This.

But if you absolutely must play the beta, you need 1.41 installed first.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6758

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

But it's not "taken directly from 2142", the time it takes for the deviation to be corrected is many times quicker than in 2142. In fact by the time you've hit the ground, on any non AR or SMG weapon, it's been corrected already.

It's nothing like in 2142 where it takes several seconds to be corrected, it takes at most half a second to be corrected. And while half a second is a long time at close range, it won't be a problem at the ranges where proning is necessary.

I've played top level competitive BF2, Vehicles, and IO. I know what i'm talking about. And I know that this addition is retarded. If you want to think in a FPS, I suggest you try http://quakelive.com/. BF2 is fine the way it is.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6476

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I've played top level competitive BF2, Vehicles, and IO. I know what i'm talking about. And I know that this addition is retarded. If you want to think in a FPS, I suggest you try http://quakelive.com/. BF2 is fine the way it is.
The fuck does this have to do with your "ub3r 1337 pr0 sk1llz?"

You don't know what you're talking about because you haven't played the 1.5.3 patch. You're just making an assumption that because you want to find something to moan about.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6443
I've played the beta. Prone deviation is awful, unnecessary and adds literally nothing positive to the gameplay. Feel free to make up something on how I've boasted about my skills in this post.
Laika
+75|5952
Leave it to DICE to implement something NOBODY asked for, all the while refusing and/or failing to fix the issues players have been begging them to fix for years now. I personally couldn't care less about the new prone deviation, it's just the way that DICE sucks so badly at what they do that gets me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard