GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6190|Phoenix, AZ
So my GF's mom the other day criticized me about driving on the freeway, she told me that taking an indirect route with a 45mph road with two lanes that ran through a bunch of other roads was safer than taking the freeway... Also a bunch of other people say, "You took the freeway here??" in a tone that would also apply to, "Are you a fucking idiot?"

What do you guys think? I guess their mindset is: By avoiding high speed roadways, you have a higher chance of not dieing because most crashes on motorcycles are fatal.

My opinion is that Freeways are far safer. There are more lanes to go to in an emergency, traffic stays at a semi-constant speed (nobody turning, you get on ramps at the same speed that your driving on the freeway) nobody can pull out in front of you, there are no head on collisions (unless you invent some ridiculous Hollywood situation) etc. I would imagine the most common thing that would happen is somebody doesnt see you, and pulls into your lane, in which case (if your riding smart by planning ahead for things to go wrong all the time) you should be able to immediately change lanes and hit your horn...

Continued - More elements can be controlled on the freeway,however when I drive through a green light, there could be some guy that I cant see around the corner about to run the light, some guy seeing his turn at the last second may slam on his breaks so he can make the 90 degree turn, some guy pulling out of a neighborhood may not see me and pull out infront of my bike, some guy may turn onto the road from a right turn and not see me... None of that I can foresee, or avoid...

Thoughts?
PS: The question applies to cars AND motorcycles

Last edited by GodFather (2009-04-04 18:19:46)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
I feel like freeway driving is easier, but it's a whole other animal from street driving (at least in NYC). In the suburbs, street driving is annoying. It's empty but you can't go fast. In the city, street driving really trains one to be an excellent driver. Around here if you are a shitty driver it is automatically assumed that you are from New Jersey. The freeway feels safer; however, in the event of a crash, it would be less detrimental if said crash occurred on the street, not freeway, albeit less likely to crash on the freeway.

I drive a car, by the way.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-04-04 18:28:11)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
on a motorbike its far safer off the motorway.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
Essentially, you have less likelihood to crash on a freeway, but if you do, chances are it will be pretty catastrophic.  Your choice to make I guess.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Essentially, you have less likelihood to crash on a freeway, but if you do, chances are it will be pretty catastrophic.  Your choice to make I guess.
Yep. Both have their catch-22.

I'd probably go with the freeway though. You can't live in fear...just be careful and be safe.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Poseidon wrote:

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Yep. Both have their catch-22.

I'd probably go with the freeway though. You can't live in fear...just be careful and be safe.
Both of these.

Stick to the most efficient roads you can and keep an ear out for traffic reports on the radio. The less time you spend getting from point a to point b, the less opportunity you have to smash yourself open like a water balloon.

And if you prefer to stick to city driving out of fear of the highways, don't think it can't be fatal too. The human body is designed to survive falls and impacts at about the speed it's capable of carrying itself, and 35mph isn't it.

GodFather wrote:

So my GF's mom the other day criticized me about driving on the freeway, she told me that taking an indirect route with a 45mph road with two lanes that ran through a bunch of other roads was safer than taking the freeway... Also a bunch of other people say, "You took the freeway here??" in a tone that would also apply to, "Are you a fucking idiot?"
There could be some knowledge from experience in there. If a road has a terrible reputation, I tend to avoid it, city or highway.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-04-04 19:43:34)

Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676
They both have their downsides.  Just pick the faster rout.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
I say freeway is safer.

No idiots running red lights.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

I say freeway is safer.

No idiots running red lights.
Just idots sleeping. What do they say? Most accidents happen two miles from home?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah
Just ignore her since you are correct about freeways being safer. Just tell her to not ride with you.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
As stated, both have their upsides and downsides.

Normal roads:
People running red lights
Pedestrians
More drunks at night (not that many bars in the middle of I-95)
But any collisions and accidents tend to happen at lower speeds

Controlled access highways:
Higher speeds
People falling asleep at the wheel
Bigger traffic (18 wheelers abound)
But If you're a good driver, a lot of the risk is lowered greatly

And always wear your seatbelt.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

For motorcycles specifically, I'd say the freeway is safer. No intersections for you to get smacked in, no red lights for others to run, no stop signs for others to run, no turns for others to make in front of you, etc.

For cars, it's a wash.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Best of both worlds; drive at surface street speeds on the highway!

https://propercloth.com/blog/wp-content/grandma.jpg

Last edited by Pochsy (2009-04-05 13:46:47)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6190|Phoenix, AZ

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

There could be some knowledge from experience in there. If a road has a terrible reputation, I tend to avoid it, city or highway.
Not really, it's a straight road that runs for miles and miles with intersections spaced evenly... The fact that its a "big road" is the reason behind her logic...

She's an idiot overall.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada
freeway bc they are generally wider, so avoiding a collision should be easire. also head-on collisions are rare bc of the dividers
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

GodFather wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

Not really, it's a straight road that runs for miles and miles with intersections spaced evenly... The fact that its a "big road" is the reason behind her logic...

She's an idiot overall.
THAT is why she is right.

I'm studying rural road design at the moment in uni. Roads that run for long straight sections are very dangerous, as they lead to driver boredom. At faster (highway) speeds on those long flat straights, drivers also suffer a sort of tunnel vision effect from concentrating on the road ahead. This of course can lead to a loss of lateral hazard perception... which is dangerous when merging between lanes.

The best roads should have a combination of horizontal and vertical curves to create constant changes in appearance to the driver. The driver must be continually changing their steering and acceleration/braking, keeping them alert.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard