Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|5770
A woman who crashed into a line of stopped vehicles while text-messaging on her cell phone
has been sentenced to six years in a California prison for killing a woman in one of the vehicles.

Deborah Matis-Engle was sentenced Friday by a judge in Redding, Calif.

Investigators said Deborah Matis-Engle was speeding and text messaging
when she slammed into the vehicles stopped at a construction zone in August 2007.

Shasta County prosecutor Stephanie Bridgett said the 49-year-old woman had paid several bills by cell phone in the moments before the crash.

She was in the middle of one of those transactions when she struck a vehicle that burst into flames, killing 46-year-old Petra Winn.

Defense attorney Jeffrey Stotter said he will appeal.

source
Mitch
Ive been here for 12 years
+875|5650|South Florida
thats horrible. stupid people.

statistically its dangerous enough just driving a car. you dont need to be fuckin texting.

however i do not think it should be a law.
12 more years! 12 more years!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5595
Give the ditzy whore more years and throw away her right to appeal.

Text messages are not more important or valuable than a young life.

Hang!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ioan92
Member
+337|4847
https://originalhoopla.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sa-ideopraxist-demotivational_poster-stupidity-v1-1.jpg
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5090|London, England

Only 6 years? What a joke
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5663|Long Island, New York
NTWD, cunt.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5780

What a bitch. Why can't people just put down their cell phones and do that shit later? Cell phones are the tool of destruction for our society.
Christbane
Member
+51|5360
you see the cool thing about a text message...    it will still be there when you get out of the fucking car!  she deserves what she gets if not more. accidents happen but this one was avoidable.    talking on the phone while driving is bad enough but texting is the worst.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|5690|Area 51
they should have made it 60 years
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|4679
correct me if I'm wrong, but cali laws forbid you to be in your cell phone while driving, but txting ok?

right?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|5673|San Diego, CA, USA

Mutantsteak wrote:

Only 6 years? What a joke
Yeah...she should had gotten like 20 for manslaughter.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5780

gnot<3 wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong, but cali laws forbid you to be in your cell phone while driving, but txting ok?

right?
Initially. But then they changed it to cover texting as well.
gatorlova
Guess who!
+17|5121
shes a dumb bitch for telling the popo she was texting
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|5702|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Stupid people fucking texting all the time, got message to send, use your god dammed computer, A phone is for calling dammit.
[/rant]

6 years a joke, make an example out of the bitch.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,627|4913|Catherine Black
Not long enough.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|5702|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Finray wrote:

Not long enough.
That's what she said!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,627|4913|Catherine Black

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Finray wrote:

Not long enough.
That's what she said!
I LITERALLY slapped my head. Why didn't I see that coming.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|5702|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Finray wrote:

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Finray wrote:

Not long enough.
That's what she said!
I LITERALLY slapped my head. Why didn't I see that coming.
Blinded by how awesome i am
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|4679

mtb0minime wrote:

Initially. But then they changed it to cover texting as well.
ok good, cuz it doesn't make sense to change the law saying you can't talk on your celly, but you can still txt.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|5585|UK
Hang the bitch!
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|4940|Fattest Country in the world.

Uzique wrote:

Give the ditzy whore more years and throw away her right to appeal.

Text messages are not more important or valuable than a young life.

Hang!
The woman killed was almost the same age as she was (46). However, her 'crime' is still unexcuseable. I see people doing things like this all the time, when will people learn .
lowing
Banned
+1,662|5776|USA
Ok, now this seems pretty cut and dry, this idiot was texting while driving and slammed into some cars stopped on the road, one car bursts into flames and kills the driver. The idiot was sentenced to 6 years but her attorney is going to appeal. On what grounds? Appeals are for when proceedings were not followed or some form unfair bias has been uncovered.

What is this bullshit about appealing simply because you did not like the outcome? In this case, it was pretty clear what happened, what the hell is there to appeal?

This goes toward our nation becoming less responsible for ourselves. Clearly this woman and attorney thinks she is not responsible for what she did and her conviction is unjust. Obviously they have some one else to blame for her actions of texting while driving. Perhaps the cell phone manufacturer, for building cell phones? Maybe the cell phone service provider for providing service to her, knowing she might text while driving? Perhaps the construction company for actually having the nerve to do construction while she was driving and texting? Oh I know, the blame lies with the car manufacturer that build a car that cought fire after the idiot rams into it. All kinds of people and companies this idiot could blame for her mis-conduct.......I take it back, she should appeal!!
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|4940|Fattest Country in the world.
This is Australian Law, but I believe these are fairly universal laws:

You may Appeal if:
  • you think the penalty the court gave you is too severe, or
  • you say that you are not guilty of the offence.


Her attorney will need to provide new evidence based on what was heard in the court, as most likely, the court when appealing will re-live the transcript of the original case. After this her attorney will provide new evidence that may alter the circumstance of her conviction. Either way, if her appeal is thrown out or dismissed or the court still finds her guilty her sentance won't change, so it's not like she has anything to lose. She will however need to pay an appeal fee. If she doesn't get the appeal processed in time, the court will dismiss it as "out of time" and the original sentance will remain in place as the court can no longer hear the case.

The article doesn't stipulate what she is being convicted of, but I assume it's Involuntary Manslaughter (A.K.A Criminal/Gross Negligence or culpable homicide) where she had no intent to kill or injure but death was caused due to recklessness.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5663|Long Island, New York

lowing wrote:

This goes toward our nation becoming less responsible for ourselves. Clearly this woman and attorney thinks she is not responsible for what she did and her conviction is unjust.
You mean like every other defendant in a manslaughter case?

This isn't something new.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|5790|NT, like Mick Dundee

Stupid, STUPID bitch.

Why are people this dumb. A mate of mine almost killed his best friend by rolling a car down an embankment here while trying to answer a text. Car flipped about 6 times.


He doesn't touch his phone while driving now. Ever.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard