BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6768

Kmarion wrote:

BN wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You guys do realize that the original Patriot Act was largely bipartisan right? It was supported when both parties had control.
Most members didnt even read it. Pathetic.

Also,

congress was told "if you dont pass this, the next terrorist act with be personally blamed on you"
Where did you hear that? I remember it being championed by both sides. There were issues with intelligence gathering and communication leading up to 9/11. We spent a decade stripping down those services. So the pendulum swung to the extreme opposite end.
Here's a link to Ron Paul saying it was not available & he didnt read it

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ron_Paul_Patrio … _was_voted

as for Dick Cheney saying "if they didn't vote in favor of it that they would be blamed for the next terrorist attack" I can only find that on rense and alex jones and they dont list any sources or references so I am not sure of the credibility.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

You guys do realize that the original Patriot Act was largely bipartisan right? It was supported when both parties had control.

I don't understand the blame thing here. At least they took out the "other purposes" crap out.
Good point...  which is why you can trust neither party.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

BN wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

BN wrote:

Most members didnt even read it. Pathetic.

Also,

congress was told "if you dont pass this, the next terrorist act with be personally blamed on you"
Where did you hear that? I remember it being championed by both sides. There were issues with intelligence gathering and communication leading up to 9/11. We spent a decade stripping down those services. So the pendulum swung to the extreme opposite end.
Here's a link to Ron Paul saying it was not available & he didnt read it

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ron_Paul_Patrio … _was_voted

as for Dick Cheney saying "if they didn't vote in favor of it that they would be blamed for the next terrorist attack" I can only find that on rense and alex jones and they dont list any sources or references so I am not sure of the credibility.
Congress is given summaries before the whole legislation. They have teams of assistants and advisers working on a bill while it is being created. They should really know what it is about long before the vote. Not saying that it is right, but they get an understanding of what they are voting on. That is what happened with the latest stimulus bill. Also consider that the act came during a time of uncertainty, we felt expediency was an issue. It has been revised several times since.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
One of the biggest problems with legislation nowadays is that think tanks do a lot of the actual policymaking.  Congress members often end up being reduced to editors of policies created by lobbyists, essentially.

Of course, that's assuming they actually read the bill.  In other cases, most of what a Congress member contributes involves attaching a rider to the bill for their own pet projects.

Riders are the only reason I would consider giving the president the line item veto.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

That is how they get support .. it's ok to sell out your principles so long as you can pander to the local constituencies.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

That is how they get support .. it's ok to sell out your principles so long as you can pander to the local constituencies.
True, which is why, ultimately, the blame can be put on ignorant and shortsighted voters.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

True, which is why, ultimately, the blame can be put on ignorant and shortsighted voters.
Ken said it once. Everyone hates pork, unless it is pork spent on them.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Indeed....  Alaska is a perfect example.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

How so?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121685895151379381.html
http://www.puma08.com/2009/03/19/sarah- … to-alaska/
http://beltwayblips.dailyradar.com/stor … _stimulus/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

How so?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121685895151379381.html
First link...  proven wrong by the extremely high re-election rate of politicians that send a lot of pork to their districts.

Mr. Don Young has been in office since 1973.  His constituents may say they want less pork, but their actions have spoken otherwise.

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.puma08.com/2009/03/19/sarah-palin-to-reject-416-million-of-stimulus-funds-allocated-to-alaska/
Sarah Palin's commitment to blocking pork is spotty at best.  She campaigned for Ted Stevens and supported the Bridge to Nowhere before that project became unpopular, and she then jumped ship.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Proven wrong? My point is that is not always the case. You think because the opposite happens that it is only one or the other.. sheesh.

Kmarion wrote:

Remember?

lol.. we are all aware of the bridge to nowhere stuff.. please, unless you slept through the entire election season.

The most recent, in the form of half a billion dollars, WAS rejected though. That is most certainly counter intuitive to your last statement.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

lol.. we are all aware of the bridge to nowhere stuff.. please, unless you slept through the entire election season.

The most recent, in the form of half a billion dollars, WAS rejected though. That is most certainly counter intuitive to your last statement.
It's an improvement, but it's not counterintuitive.

Don Young not being re-elected would be counterintuitive.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

See edit ^^
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Proven wrong? My point is that is not always the case. You think because the opposite happens that it is only one or the other.. sheesh.
True...  Ron Paul is proof that some people actually want their representative to fight pork.

He's an anomaly however.

Believe me...  I really truly wish he wasn't one, but most people follow the "bread and circus" logic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Alaska is NOT the perfect example.

I could offer you better ones if you like.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

How isn't it?  Ted Stevens was the king of pork.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

He was prosecuted an paid. You really want to go against California.. with Alaska?
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ … e_map.html
Look at it compared to other states GSP. Again, not the best example. I know, you hate Sarah and we get that though..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

He was prosecuted an paid. You really want to go against California.. with Alaska? ..lol
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ … e_map.html
Look at it compared to other states GSP. Again, not the best example. I know, you hate Sarah and we get that though..lol
I'm no fan of Sarah, indeed, but you're the one that specifically brought her up.

I actually have much more of an axe to grind against Stevens and Young.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6627|Canada
simple, come to canada. i have an available futon if you guys want to crash at my place.
Turquoise
O Canada

destruktion_6143 wrote:

simple, come to canada. i have an available futon if you guys want to crash at my place.
I might take you up on that in the next 5 years or so...  lol

Random question: Do your ISPs impose bandwidth caps?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

I'm no fan of Sarah, indeed, but you're the one that specifically brought her up.

Nay.. an attack on Ak is an attack on the ppl running it. I was just saying that they are nowhere near the best example. I provided better examples of porkulus.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Nay.. an attack on Ak is an attack on the ppl running it. I was just saying that they are nowhere near the best example. I provided better examples of porkulus.
Well, Sarah is a state politician.  As a Governor, you have less temptation to accept federal funding because you actually stand to gain more from rejecting funds than accepting them if you can spin it as a fight against pork.

I would imagine Stevens's trial put a negative spotlight on pork in Alaska.  Also, the stimulus bill was passed by a Democratic president and was very unpopular among Republicans in general.  So, Palin rejecting it shouldn't be that surprising.

If Bush had passed this bill with Republican approval, then Palin would've likely accepted it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Brutha I'll show ya a long list of Governors eager to get their fingers into some Federal funding.
In fact Palin does not hesitate to chew up Republicans. http://www.rollcall.com/news/30087-1.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
You know she is responsible for helping to clean out her own in AK right?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Brutha I'll show ya a long list of Governors eager to get their fingers into some Federal funding.
In fact Palin does not hesitate to chew up Republicans. http://www.rollcall.com/news/30087-1.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
You know she is responsible for helping to clean out her own in AK right?
True.  There are certain things I like about her.  I like the angle that Biden took in that debate.  He mentioned her move to increase the portion of oil and gas profits sent to Alaskan citizens every year.

Biden complimented her for that, mostly because that's the sort of thing that a Democrat would be more likely to support and because it really goes against the idea of smaller government.

But hey...  I won't deny it.  I thought it was great.  lol
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6627|Canada

Turquoise wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

I might take you up on that in the next 5 years or so...  lol

Random question: Do your ISPs impose bandwidth caps?
not that i have come across. i can do what i want...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard