blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
Six out out of 10 university students present "mathematical anxiety" or fear of this subject, researchers in Spain found.The study involved 885 first-year students at the University of Granada who took mathematics courses.Patricia Perez-Tyteca, Enrique Castro, Isidoro Segovia, Encarnacion Castro, Francisco Fernandez and Francisco Cano said the students included four of the five university fields of study: Health Sciences, Experimental Sciences, Technical Education and Social Sciences.

The researchers applied to the students the Fennema-Sherman Mathematics Attitudes Scales, a questionnaire validated by experts from all over the world which has been used since the 70s.Mathematical anxiety appears through a series of symptoms "such as tension, nervousness, concern, worry, edginess, impatience, confusion, fear and mental block" when dealing with the subject of mathematics, the researchers said.Students of degrees of the field of Health Sciences are those who fear mathematics the most, unlike those of Technical Education, who are the less concerned, the study found.Math fear can change a student's life, because many students don't choose degrees they would have preferred because of the math requirement.

source
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

<3 math(s)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5903|United States
yeah, math is alright
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6634|NT, like Mick Dundee

People don't like maths because they don't have the discipline to learn the rules intimately and spend hours applying them in different situations to get the right answer.

Much more fun taking a humanities course, writing up a string of bullshit and selling it to your teacher like your God's gift to the world.

Humanities/arts are just easier than maths/sciences.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5651
my best subject but my least favorite
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
I had to take Algebra, Trig, Pre-Calc, Calc 1-3, Statics, Dynamics and stats....   

just to tell idiots how to build a fucking a road.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
Lol, pussies. I'm studying engineering, so...

Jenspm wrote:

<3 math(s)
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6500|Boston, MA

Flecco wrote:

People don't like maths because they don't have the discipline to learn the rules intimately and spend hours applying them in different situations to get the right answer.

Much more fun taking a humanities course, writing up a string of bullshit and selling it to your teacher like your God's gift to the world.

This...

I'm in a Math & Democracy class which is really looking at numbers and how people abuse them so it's hardly complicated math, just numbers. We were talking about this study the other day. I said they should present it as a more fun class. Like instead of calling it "Math 140 - Calculus," name it "Super Fun Math Happy Hour Adventure." I guarentee you, you'd get more students.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

I hate statistical work. Total cunt if you ask me.

Geometry and physics are far more fun, as is theoretical/logic based stuff. In general I hate maths though as I really can't be arsed with it. Very boring.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
that's what wonderful about geography. It's human dependent enough you can be an artsy faggot, but it still has proper maths involved. Possibly the broadest subject.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6433|Tyne & Wear, England
Yeah, that sounds like me.  I was always academically sound, but the thought of maths class made me sick to my stomach.

If there's an equivalent of dyslexia in maths, I have it.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

I'm doing Finite mathematics atm, which is total BS cause I've already done Discrete maths.

It's a lot of work and needs a lot of study, I can understand students fear.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.

FatherTed wrote:

that's what wonderful about geography. It's human dependent enough you can be an artsy faggot, but it still has proper maths involved. Possibly the broadest subject.
L2humanities faggot.

Anthropology. There is no broader subject.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Flecco wrote:

Anthropology. There is no broader subject.
Well I have studied a broad, or two...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

As well they should be. Math will fuck you up.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6596|Canada
My math teacher for all of highschool was a math Nazi. so i am scarred for life...
Computer_Guy
+54|6666
Im taking Calculus 3 (multi-variable and vectors) and its soooo easy.
Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6141|New Austin, Not
<3 Calc and stats
Fuck every other kind of math though.
Defiance
+438|6641

Math is hard, Barbie says so.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Business taught me 1+1=at least 3 so I think maths is wrong.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
High school maths in piss fucking easy. Uni maths I fear....
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6614|Canada

Flecco wrote:

Your first statement is probably true, but the rest are not. I wouldn't lump all humanities/arts courses together. A good arts student never writes up a string of bullshit. I'm a history student so I'm a little biased, but we have to do a shitload of research and reading before we do anything. I really wouldn't say they are easier, it just depends on the person. I have friends who would much rather write up lab reports than essays, I however am the complete opposite. Both fields are just as valuable in understanding our world...
Just my 2 cents.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast
Its more like most people who attend a school fear maths tbh
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO

FatherTed wrote:

Actually that would be earth and environmental science, its geography, geology, hydrology, volcanolgy, ologyolgy and many other such ologies!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
Asian math is fucking scary.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard