Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX
I didn't mean predominantly, I meant exclusively.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

I didn't mean predominantly, I meant exclusively.
Well they're not exclusively, its predominantly.

wiki wrote:

Muslims and Christians are accepted as volunteers, even at an age greater than 18.

From among non-Bedouin Arab citizens, the number of volunteers for military service—some Christian Arabs and even a few Muslim Arabs—is minute, and the government makes no special effort to increase it. Six Israeli Arabs have received orders of distinction as a part of their military service; of them the most famous is a Bedouin officer, Lieutenant Colonel Abd el-Amin Hajer (also known as Amos Yarkoni), who received the Order of Distinction. Recently, a Bedouin officer was promoted to the rank of Colonel.
Edit: And here's another reason the IDF is nothing like the SS

wiki wrote:

Since 1993 (when an IDF reserves officer testified before the Knesset claiming that his rank had been revoked and that he had been barred from researching sensitive topics in military intelligence, solely because of his sexual identity) homosexuals serve openly in the military, including special units without any discrimination.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2009-04-07 06:54:02)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Pesky facts.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England

Man With No Name wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Sif derail. Btw MOAB did you ever hear about the grenade on your helmet test? Apparently the Waffen SS used to test NCOs for courage by standing a potato masher on their helmet vertically and pull the pin. The soldier then had to stand dead still until it detonated. If he moved the grenade would drop off his helmet and seriously injure/kill him, if he stood perfectly still it would go off and leave him with sore ears, but little else in the way of harm.
sounds more like a stupidity test to me,
That can't be real it would surely kill them no matter what. I doubt a helmet could protect the head from a grenade blast like....  30cm away from it (if the NCO managed to keep it balanced ontop). Not even those super modern helmets they use today would probably protect the head from that, especially cos that stick grenade was one of those shockwave grenades instead of the frag grenade

The W-SS were just a unit of Nazi Germany that consisted of the core Nazi principles and even then that was abandoned, people like to think they were an "elite" unit but they really weren't

They just did a lot of bad Nazi shit
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6669|NT, like Mick Dundee

Mekstizzle wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Sif derail. Btw MOAB did you ever hear about the grenade on your helmet test? Apparently the Waffen SS used to test NCOs for courage by standing a potato masher on their helmet vertically and pull the pin. The soldier then had to stand dead still until it detonated. If he moved the grenade would drop off his helmet and seriously injure/kill him, if he stood perfectly still it would go off and leave him with sore ears, but little else in the way of harm.
That can't be real it would surely kill them no matter what. I doubt a helmet could protect the head from a grenade blast like....  30cm away from it (if the NCO managed to keep it balanced ontop). Not even those super modern helmets they use today would probably protect the head from that, especially cos that stick grenade was one of those shockwave grenades instead of the frag grenade

The W-SS were just a unit of Nazi Germany that consisted of the core Nazi principles and even then that was abandoned, people like to think they were an "elite" unit but they really weren't

Yes because Max Hastings is a terribly unreliable source for information on the history of the European theatre of WW2 isn't he. I did say I'm not sure on it being true at all and I'm pretty sure the book I read about it in also mentioned that it was anecdotal evidence and unverified. Ffs.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

sigh...

this conflict started before your lifetime and will continue past your lifetimes.  so unless you are in israel, palestine, lebanon, egypt, etc...... what the fuck are you arguing for?
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5866

usmarine wrote:

sigh...

this conflict started before your lifetime and will continue past your lifetimes.  so unless you are in israel, palestine, lebanon, egypt, etc...... what the fuck are you arguing for?
lol, get educated. This conflict started when the Zionism movement began, what is israel today was under OTTOMAN occupation with a MUSLIM MAJORITY before the empire fell. Then zionist apologists proposed a jewish state on people who had nothing to do with killing jews in europe.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sigh...

lol, get educated. This conflict started when the Zionism movement began, what is israel today was under OTTOMAN occupation with a MUSLIM MAJORITY before the empire fell. Then zionist apologists proposed a jewish state on people who had nothing to do with killing jews in europe.
ummmm...ok?  how does that contradict what I said?
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5866

usmarine wrote:

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sigh...

i believe you were suggesting the typical apologist excuss of "this conflict has been going on for 3000 years"
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

rammunition wrote:

i believe you were suggesting the typical apologist excuss of "this conflict has been going on for 3000 years"
no...

i am saying this has been going on since the arab war in its current form yes?  well that is before most peoples lifetime on here.  and it will continue long after you or I are no longer here.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

rammunition wrote:

And I believe you are arguing the historically ignorant notion that there was no problem before 1948.

You probably think the king of Jordan didn't use artillery to kill tens of thousands of pallestinians too.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5866

ATG wrote:

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

And I believe you are arguing the historically ignorant notion that there was no problem before 1948.

You probably think the king of Jordan didn't use artillery to kill tens of thousands of pallestinians too.
there was no problem before the zionism movement began, when mass immigration to the so called holy land by jews, starting before the 1900's.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

rammunition wrote:

ATG wrote:

rammunition wrote:

there was no problem before the zionism movement began, when mass immigration to the so called holy land by jews, starting before the 1900's.
Cept the whole crusades thing.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sigh...

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the European support to the Zionist movement pre-WW2, focused on getting Jews out of Europe.

Or you could continue to think it's a simple issue, involving only the Zionists and the indigenous population in that region.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5579|The Wild West

Flecco wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

Yes because Max Hastings is a terribly unreliable source for information on the history of the European theatre of WW2 isn't he. I did say I'm not sure on it being true at all and I'm pretty sure the book I read about it in also mentioned that it was anecdotal evidence and unverified. Ffs.
I wouldnt doubt it being true.  As far as I know, potato mashers werent all the great.  the direction of the explosion would face away from the helmet if it was balanced right.  the concusion would do serious damage though.  The biggest injury coming from Iraq is tramatic brain injury from all the IEDs detonating near soldiers.  You scramble your brain, kinda jolt it a bit.  Symptons may not even show up till long after.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

FEOS wrote:

rammunition wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sigh...

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the European support to the Zionist movement pre-WW2, focused on getting Jews out of Europe.

Or you could continue to think it's a simple issue, involving only the Zionists and the indigenous population in that region.
Which European support would that be?

They didn't have European support for the Zionist movement. Support for medium scale immigration of Jews to Palestine is hardly the same thing. It was the British running the whole affair and they actually imposed naval blockades to restrict Jewish immigration to Palestine pre-WWII.

There was far greater European support for the Arab populace pre-WWII than for the Zionist movement. The agreement with Hussein that Palestine should become an independent Arab administered state. There were statements from the cabinet post-Balfour declaration (there is a very pertinent one from Lord Curzon) which indicated that Palestine was still included in the agreement with Sharif Hussein and as far as Britain were concerned was to be under independent Arab rule following the expiration of the mandate. A combination of factors caused this not to happen; WWII sympathy, US pressure and, most importantly, the terror campaign conducted by Zionists targeting Arabs and the occupying British forces.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

rammunition wrote:

They didn't have European support for the Zionist movement. Support for medium scale immigration of Jews to Palestine is hardly the same thing. It was the British running the whole affair and they actually imposed naval blockades to restrict Jewish immigration to Palestine pre-WWII.

There was far greater European support for the Arab populace pre-WWII than for the Zionist movement. The agreement with Hussein that Palestine should become an independent Arab administered state. There were statements from the cabinet post-Balfour declaration (there is a very pertinent one from Lord Curzon) which indicated that Palestine was still included in the agreement with Sharif Hussein and as far as Britain were concerned was to be under independent Arab rule following the expiration of the mandate. A combination of factors caused this not to happen; WWII sympathy, US pressure and, most importantly, the terror campaign conducted by Zionists targeting Arabs and the occupying British forces.
Perhaps you should read "Human Smoke" then. It's in there, clear as can be.

Germany wanted the Jews sent to anywhere other than Europe--Madagascar was one, South America another. The Zionist movement was convenient to their aims and supported by Germany and other countries (like Britain and the US). Of course, lost in all that is that the European countries wanted the Jews out of Europe, period. In addition to Zionism, other Jewish relocation efforts were endorsed publicly and privately by most of the major European powers at the time.

It's a bigger issue than Palestine.

Unfortunately, I gave the book to a co-worker, so I can't quote it explicitly.
― Albert Einstein

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Germany wanted the Jews sent to anywhere other than Europe--Madagascar was one, South America another. The Zionist movement was convenient to their aims and supported by Germany and other countries (like Britain and the US). Of course, lost in all that is that the European countries wanted the Jews out of Europe, period. In addition to Zionism, other Jewish relocation efforts were endorsed publicly and privately by most of the major European powers at the time.

There was support for relocation of the Jews, absolutely. The British initially proposed a number of regions for a Jewish state, including Uganda. The Zionist movement was not popular with the British since their aims conflicted with prior public responsibilities the British had committed themselves to. The Zionists wanted a Jewish state of Israel (in Palestine - and this only became clear after immigration had begun), Britain had promised the Arabs an independent Arab state (which is the primary reason, combined with general animosity over military restrictions to Jewish immigration, for Zionist terrorist activity targeting the British).

Whilst there was support by a number of key individuals within the British cabinet and royal family, the overall government line was not one of support for the Zionists, particularly in the wake of the Hope-Simpson report.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific than just saying the Europeans supported the Zionist movement - which as a whole, they did not - at least in the terms you seem to suggest. There was almost unilateral support for a Jewish homeland - but not for a Jewish state in Palestine.

Sharif Hussein (whom I mentioned earlier) was a supporter of Zionism. His son issued this statement:

Emir Faisal wrote:

The Arabs, especially the educated among us, look with deepest sympathy on the Zionist movement....We will wish the Jews a hearty welcome home....We are working together for a reformed and revised Near East and our two movements complete one another. The Jewish movement is nationalist and not imperialist. ...Indeed, I think that neither can be a real success without the other
The problems really began when the Jewish agency started misbehaving when they got to Palestine (this is still long before WWII). Their actions turned a previously welcoming Arab populace against them and there the trouble starts.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-04-08 12:03:30)

FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

There was support for relocation of the Jews, absolutely. The British initially proposed a number of regions for a Jewish state, including Uganda. The Zionist movement was not popular with the British since their aims conflicted with prior public responsibilities the British had committed themselves to. The Zionists wanted a Jewish state of Israel (in Palestine - and this only became clear after immigration had begun), Britain had promised the Arabs an independent Arab state (which is the primary reason, combined with general animosity over military restrictions to Jewish immigration, for Zionist terrorist activity targeting the British).

Whilst there was support by a number of key individuals within the British cabinet and royal family, the overall government line was not one of support for the Zionists, particularly in the wake of the Hope-Simpson report.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific than just saying the Europeans supported the Zionist movement - which as a whole, they did not - at least in the terms you seem to suggest. There was almost unilateral support for a Jewish homeland - but not for a Jewish state in Palestine.

Sharif Hussein (whom I mentioned earlier) was a supporter of Zionism. His son issued this statement:

Emir Faisal wrote:

The Arabs, especially the educated among us, look with deepest sympathy on the Zionist movement....We will wish the Jews a hearty welcome home....We are working together for a reformed and revised Near East and our two movements complete one another. The Jewish movement is nationalist and not imperialist. ...Indeed, I think that neither can be a real success without the other
The problems really began when the Jewish agency started misbehaving when they got to Palestine (this is still long before WWII). Their actions turned a previously welcoming Arab populace against them and there the trouble starts.
The support for Zionism extended beyond just England and Germany. As I said, I don't have the book in front of me to list all the countries by name. I do recall England and Germany specifically. I was somewhat surprised when I read that bit, myself.
― Albert Einstein

Flecco
iPod is broken.

M.O.A.B wrote:

rammunition wrote:

ATG wrote:

Cept the whole crusades thing.

Finray wrote:

shit was so cash
Western World didn't take no shit from anybody back then. We were total bastards.
Lai
+186|6155

Flecco wrote:

Western World didn't take no shit from anybody back then. We were total bastards.
No, we WERE shit.

Thousands of uneducated peasants marching at the will of a fanatic Pope that was himself at times too stupid to see he was being used by the Venetians as an offset market extension. Another few thousand of leftover nobility that only went because with so many stray peasants they might actually be something more than 'brother of'.

The West wasn't just a bunch of bastards, it was trailer trash.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Lai wrote:

Flecco wrote:

No, we WERE shit.

Thousands of uneducated peasants marching at the will of a fanatic Pope that was himself at times too stupid to see he was being used by the Venetians as an offset market extension. Another few thousand of leftover nobility that only went because with so many stray peasants they might actually be something more than 'brother of'.

The West wasn't just a bunch of bastards, it was trailer trash.
Europe, fuck yeah. Coming to town to save the motherfucking day yeah.

Even if we didn't have a rudimentary grasp of economics and mathematics until we stole it from the Persians and Arabs during the crusades.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX

Bertster wrote:

There was almost unilateral support for a Jewish homeland - but not for a Jewish state in Palestine.
There was general support for the jews having a homeland in Palestine.
This pretty much ended when it became obvious they wanted their own country encompassing all of Palestine, parts of neighbouring countries and to ethnically cleanse or exterminate the Palestinians - who had been living there peacefully with Jews, Christians and Muslims for the previous 2,000 years.

IIRC This was part of Hitler's motivation for the final solution, he wanted them out of Germany but didn't want them taking over the holy land either.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-04-09 01:08:51)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Lai
+186|6155

Dilbert_X wrote:

Bertster wrote:

There was almost unilateral support for a Jewish homeland - but not for a Jewish state in Palestine.
This pretty much ended when it became obvious they wanted their own country encompassing all of Palestine, parts of neighbouring countries and to ethnically cleanse or exterminate the Palestinians - who had been living there peacefully with Jews, Christians and Muslims for the previous 2,000 years.

IIRC This was part of Hitler's motivation for the final solution, he wanted them out of Germany but didn't want them taking over the holy land either.
WTF?
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Lai wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Bertster wrote:

WTF?
Qft.

Dilbert, they don't want to ethincally cleanse anything. The right wing Israelis just aren't big on sharing.

Dunno where you got that thing about Hitler though, he didn't even come up with the 'final solution' and he really didn't give two shits where they went afaik as long as it wasn't Germany/territory he perceived as rightfully belonging to the Germans.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-04-09 01:48:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard