FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

BBC wrote:

A government advert aimed at convincing parents to give up smoking upset children and broke several rules, the Advertising Standards Authority says.

The independent regulator ruled that the "I'm not scared" TV advert, which attracted 51 complaints overall, should not be shown before 7.30pm.

In it, a girl says she is not afraid of spiders, clowns or bullies, but does fear her mother - a smoker - dying.

The government said it proved effective at making adults consider giving up.

About half of those who complained said the advert, which was launched at the end of October, had distressed their children.

There were an additional 13 complaints about the radio version, which featured the same child's voice.
Good, so it fucking should. The ASA as a whole is a joke - it received 51 complaints from a population of roughly 61 MILLION, and it pulls the ad.

WTF.

Source
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
good, then it worked.

many people use the "it's my body i can do what i want" line

well what about your kids? how would they feel if you dropped dead 20 years early?

or any other family/friends for that matter.

Last edited by krazed (2009-04-01 00:22:38)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6674|Disaster Free Zone
Lol, Australian ads are nice and graphic

This would make more sense if you watched all the 'previous' ads.

Theres more... but you get the point.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
@ Drunkface - We have those same ones, just rebranded for the NYS Smokers's Quitline. Indeed, extremely graphic...but it gets the message out.

Reminds me why I'll never smoke cigarettes. Weed's a different story though.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

FatherTed wrote:

BBC wrote:

A government advert aimed at convincing parents to give up smoking upset children and broke several rules, the Advertising Standards Authority says.

The independent regulator ruled that the "I'm not scared" TV advert, which attracted 51 complaints overall, should not be shown before 7.30pm.

In it, a girl says she is not afraid of spiders, clowns or bullies, but does fear her mother - a smoker - dying.

The government said it proved effective at making adults consider giving up.

About half of those who complained said the advert, which was launched at the end of October, had distressed their children.

There were an additional 13 complaints about the radio version, which featured the same child's voice.
Good, so it fucking should. The ASA as a whole is a joke - it received 51 complaints from a population of roughly 61 MILLION, and it pulls the ad.

WTF.

Source
As we know, every complaint equals a billion people, so 51 billion people were scared by this!

But isn't that the point? You scare the kids so the parent decides in order to stop the fear to stop smoking? Christ, they pull everything these days that might just slightly scare someone, its getting ridiculous.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
It's political correctness gone mad!
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
How dare i say these GOD DAMN words in front of your FUCKING KIDS
15 more years! 15 more years!
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5603|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Poseidon wrote:

@ Drunkface - We have those same ones, just rebranded for the NYS Smokers's Quitline. Indeed, extremely graphic...but it gets the message out.

Seriously, one Weed cigarette thing is equal to like one pack of tobacco cigarettes.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326309,00.html
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43499
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

nickb64 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Seriously, one Weed cigarette thing is equal to like one pack of tobacco cigarettes.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326309,00.html
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43499
Can't believe they needed a study to figure that one out. You know pot is worse when chain smokers start coughing on it.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6486|N. Ireland
The DOE really hit the ball perfectly when it started releasing those "speed kills" ads. The ads show the true brutality, sorrow and often worse: noises of a car crash. We need more ads of these. Why exactly is it bad that a smoking ad is scaring children? It's meant to: because the sooner you drill a message into them the better. That smoking reduces life expectancy and gives you a higher chance of getting cancer, and so on so forth. Advertising authorities are a joke here. They allow the DOE ads and those somewhat-sexy "wear a condom" ads yet don't allow this? 51 complaints..lol. Top Gear gets more complaints than that in one episode and yet it's still showing.

The ASA needs to get their act together and work what is in the best interest of the populus, and not in the best interest of 51 people. Those 51 people are idiots. I'd like to think that there are at least some less-idiotic people in the entire population.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
Fuck these non smoking bastards.. Seriously it's your body and you can do what you want with it..

Stop smoking ads don't work, it's proven they actually have a reverse effect on people.. You see something that you might not even know about or want to try in a commercial, then walk around and see a ton of people doing it, your brain registers "wow that must be awesome if people know what's going to happen to they're body and they're still doing it". So then the Youngins start smoking..

The pot shit is bull as well. Also you don't smoke One Weed cigarette in a sitting it take a while..
zeidmaan
+234|6407|Vienna

Shit that made the massive hairs on my back and the rest of my sexy body stand up......
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
51 complaints, I'd like to see the viewing figures and see just how big of a proportion that is. For 51 complaints to affect a national government advertisement is a fucking joke. Yet when tens of thousands protest for various reasons fuck all happens. It's what you call an absolute joke
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
What really pisses me off is when your walking down a street and half the people are smoking.

That is enough for me to want people to quit smoking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

12/f/taiwan wrote:

What really pisses me off is when your walking down a street and half the people are smoking.

That is enough for me to want people to quit smoking.
Too bad get used to it. I don't smoke, but hell I don't really mind people who smokes. Most of my friends do anyway.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6486|N. Ireland

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Fuck these non smoking bastards.. Seriously it's your body and you can do what you want with it..

Stop smoking ads don't work, it's proven they actually have a reverse effect on people.. You see something that you might not even know about or want to try in a commercial, then walk around and see a ton of people doing it, your brain registers "wow that must be awesome if people know what's going to happen to they're body and they're still doing it". So then the Youngins start smoking..

The pot shit is bull as well. Also you don't smoke One Weed cigarette in a sitting it take a while..
Can you give me a source to tell me where it is "proven they have a reverse effect on people" please.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

The Northern Ireland Car safety ads are without a doubt the most scary and brutal out there. They are showing them in oz now too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_IEnf_G3Q
That's one of the milder ones. Can't find anymore on youtube. Their is a slow motion one of a boy being flung around the inside of the car smashing his head of his friends heads, killing them accompanied by a bone crunching noise that turns my stomach.
One of the actresses who gets nutted and killed is a good friend of mine.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

JahManRed wrote:

The Northern Ireland Car safety ads are without a doubt the most scary and brutal out there. They are showing them in oz now too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_IEnf_G3Q
That's one of the milder ones. Can't find anymore on youtube. Their is a slow motion one of a boy being flung around the inside of the car smashing his head of his friends heads, killing them accompanied by a bone crunching noise that turns my stomach.
One of the actresses who gets nutted and killed is a good friend of mine.
Christ on a blue bike, I agree they are the most brutal, specially if that's a mild one, get the point across though. I refuse to speed anyway, much to the annoyance of the morons who get stuck behind me I love how pissy they get because they can't break the law, keeps me entertained on long journeys.

And vaguely on topic, these adverts are supposed to scare people, if your child is frightened by the advert quit fucking smoking, do youself a favour and stop poisoning your child at the same time.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

All those anti smoking ads do is just jerk off the anti smoking crowd. All smokers are still going to smoke and not give a shit about that or what happens later. I would instead prefer the money used for those ads go to studying stem cells or some other possible cancer cure.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Macbeth wrote:

All those anti smoking ads do is just jerk off the anti smoking crowd. All smokers are still going to smoke and not give a shit about that or what happens later. I would instead prefer the money used for those ads go to studying stem cells or some other possible cancer cure.
Prevention > cure.

As for the ads not working... I have family that say otherwise.
cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ

kylef wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Can you give me a source to tell me where it is "proven they have a reverse effect on people" please.
http://www.jointogether.org/news/resear … sored.html

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/ … backfiring

Just two but there are tons of studies..
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

cpt.fass1 wrote:

kylef wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Wow... great sources.

advertising sponsored by tobacco companies to dissuade young people from smoking may actually have the reverse effect
Any parent knows that telling a teen what to do can cause them to do just the opposite, especially if all you tell them is that they're too young
These ads were specifically designed to use reverse psychology.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-04-08 10:38:28)

cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ

DrunkFace wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

kylef wrote:

Wow... great sources.

advertising sponsored by tobacco companies to dissuade young people from smoking may actually have the reverse effect
Any parent knows that telling a teen what to do can cause them to do just the opposite, especially if all you tell them is that they're too young
You asked for sources, it's all over the place. Also who do you think funds all the stop smoking ads?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

cpt.fass1 wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/industry-sponsored.html

Wow... great sources.

You asked for sources, it's all over the place. Also who do you think funds all the stop smoking ads?
The government.

Australian-led study shows cigarette prices and anti-smoking ads most effective in reducing smoking
The study found we would achieve between 0.3 and 0.6 percentage point acceleration in the decline in smoking rates by either exposing the population to televised anti-smoking ads an average of between 4 and 8 times per month or by increasing the price of a pack of cigarettes by between 0.03 to 0.06% of gross average weekly earnings.
Research shows anti-smoking commercials contribute to successful quit attempts
Almost half of those smokers who had successfully quit smoking in the five years preceding the 2005 survey believed that anti-smoking television commercials had contributed to their quit attempt (46%).

More than double the proportion of successful quitters cited anti-smoking television commercials as a contributor to their quit attempt, compared with other quitting aids or services such as Nicotine Replacement Therapies and advice from health professionals.
And why if they don't work are tobacco companies trying to counter them.
Tobacco industry efforts to derail effective anti-smoking campaigns
Research has found ads that reveal the deceptive practices of the tobacco industry are the most effective media campaigns that reduce smoking rates
State health departments face an uphill battle when dealing with the political clout of the industry with its lobbying, campaign contributions and specials events, Ibrahim said.

One tactic also involves the industry producing its own ineffective campaigns in order to portray state programs as duplicative and a waste of public dollars. Campaigns designed by the tobacco companies patronize youth in their early teen years, with messages like “Think, Don’t smoke”

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-04-08 12:17:21)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard