Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6491

Poseidon wrote:

I was an atheist for about a year. My family didn't really care. We've never been religious.
rofl.

You don't transiently 'become' an atheist and then decide otherwise, this is a fucking annoying use of an annoyingly overused term. If you're an atheist you reject all spirituality and everything non-rational; that is, you fundamentally turn away from all curiosities of the religious and theological kind. You can't just reconvert back to religion after declaring and coming to the decision that religion and 'faith' isn't so bad after all. You were an agnostic with curiosities and uncertainties - at best - not an atheist.

My family wouldn't care because they don't live in the fucking 17th Century. Next topic.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-03-25 17:53:15)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6489

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I was an atheist for about a year. My family didn't really care. We've never been religious.
rofl.

You don't transiently 'become' an atheist and then decide otherwise, this is a fucking annoying use of an annoyingly overused term. If you're an atheist you reject all spirituality and everything non-rational; that is, you fundamentally turn away from all curiosities of the religious and theological kind. You can't just reconvert back to religion after declaring and coming to the decision that religion and 'faith' isn't so bad after all. You were an agnostic with curiosities and uncertainties - at best - not an atheist.

My family wouldn't care because they don't live in the fucking 17th Century. Next topic.
But I thought that they were Muslim, which would mean you would get stoned and beheade?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6864|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Wait, I already did this when I was 14. Changed from protestant to atheist, nobody cared the slightest, yay.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6491
I'm not Muslim, the Tarique nickname just comes from... well, I still don't actually know. But yeah, I'm as English as they come, and completely non-religious in regards to organised religion and other such spiritual endeavours that require you to 'declare' a sect or church in particular. Agnostic by the Huxley definition really, and that's just based on my own personal intellectual decision, nothing to do with societal peer pressures or family upbringing.

Lowing knows his shit, I wouldn't call him out, he's the smartest person I know. Serious.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6558|Long Island, New York

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

rofl.

Well, I guess you could say I was kind of "born again" into believing in God. It doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't know the story, but it does to me. And that's what matters. But I'll give it a shot explaining it anyway...

Basically went like this:

Was religious for the majority of my early life, fell out with religion around 2003/2004 when I stopped going to religious school/didn't get Bar Mitzvah'd. Fell even further out with it around 2006 and pretty much rejected the existance of God at that point. Around September of 2007 something happened with an immediate family member (which I'll probably get further into detail about later) of mine. I prayed (probably the first time I ever did seriously) for them to survive what had occured and they did. Call it corny, call it cliche...but it got me believing again.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

Poseidon, did you then get Bar Mitzvah'd?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6491
The fact you were compelled to pray again during those tough times, and the fact you still had the notion of a higher being to call to, is exactly the sort of anecdotal evidence that refutes your use of the word 'atheist'. You still had theist tendencies, therefore it was impossible for you to be atheist. Agnostic, uncertain, spiritually lost, disaffected with your particular institution/organisation... yeah, acceptable.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-03-25 18:01:31)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6672|USA

12/f/taiwan wrote:

lowing wrote:

Depends,

A Christian family would be agast and dis-own you. An Islamic family would be agast and behead you right after they stoned you.

I have two family members who are atheist and they have yet to be "dis-owned" or "beheaded."

Again you fail. When will you ever give up?
fa⋅ce⋅tious   /fəˈsiʃəs/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [fuh-see-shuhs]  Show IPA
–adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark. 
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

My mom could be a witch, my dad Mormon and me Catholic for all any of us could care.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6489

lowing wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

lowing wrote:

Depends,

A Christian family would be agast and dis-own you. An Islamic family would be agast and behead you right after they stoned you.

I have two family members who are atheist and they have yet to be "dis-owned" or "beheaded."

2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.
The main problem is that you are srs biznz about that shit too often for people to notice the sarcasm.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6705|United States of America

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

rofl.

You only reject all of those religious beliefs if you are areligious. Atheism only implies that there is no particular deity in ones religion.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

lowing wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

lowing wrote:

Depends,

2. amusing; humorous.
low   (l)
n.
The characteristic sound uttered by cattle; a moo.
intr.v. lowed, low·ing, lows
To utter the sound made by cattle; moo.
[From Middle English lowen, to moo, from Old English hlowan; see kelo-2 in Indo-European roots.]
ghettoperson
+1,943|6670

lowing wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

lowing wrote:

Depends,

2. amusing; humorous.
Lowing you don't make it easy for us to tell when you're being humorous and when you're not.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

AussieReaper wrote:

I'm planning to do so before I join the military. My great aunt got Bat Mitzvah'd when she was 81, so...

Uzique wrote:

The fact you were compelled to pray again during those tough times, and the fact you still had the notion of a higher being to call to, is exactly the sort of anecdotal evidence that refutes your use of the word 'atheist'. You still had theist tendencies, therefore it was impossible for you to be atheist. Agnostic, uncertain, spiritually lost, disaffected with your particular institution/organisation... yeah, acceptable.
Atheist/agnostic, whatever you want to call it. I just lost touch with religion.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-03-25 19:15:50)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6686|NT, like Mick Dundee

Poseidon wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I'm planning to do so before I join the military. My great aunt got Bat Mitzvah'd when she was 81, so...
Jewish chicks rock.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6215|Schofield Barracks
My family would probably get really mad. Im only going to conformation classes for my grandparents. they are really religious. I really dont care about it though.
@ flecco: my girlfriends a jew.

Last edited by MAGUIRE93 (2009-03-25 19:30:41)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6174|what

Poseidon wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Did she join the military at 81?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6686|NT, like Mick Dundee

Oh another great way for me to be disowned by my family would be to become a citizen of Israel.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

AussieReaper wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Did she join the military at 81?
Yes.
Brasso
+1,549|6651

My parents are devout Roman Catholics (yes they're Chinese and RC, they were raised in the Philippines which was occupied by the Spanish, so...).  Anyway, they were pretty shocked at first when they found out I was an atheist a couple weeks ago (even though I had been for a few years).  It's not really a big deal to them: I still go to church weekly, but they're trying to nudge me along the path to (I guess) find my way back to "God."

Oh, and I attended a private Catholic school from grades K-7.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-03-25 19:58:21)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6713
Being atheist seems to be the absence of religion, not really what I was getting at with the topic. Many of you are giving yourselves the title of atheist and I believe that no 14-16 year old could have enough life experience to have become devoid of spiritual pathos. I call fad. Clearly you all are only seeing religion for its side of deity worship and "mind control". It is something far more complex than that.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5596|The Wild West
scientology
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6672|USA

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

lowing wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

2. amusing; humorous.
The main problem is that you are srs biznz about that shit too often for people to notice the sarcasm.
Can't help ya with that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6672|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

2. amusing; humorous.
Lowing you don't make it easy for us to tell when you're being humorous and when you're not.
that is just the way I like it.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6468|Chicago, IL
place a call to the nearest catholic church to get me exorcised

Last edited by S.Lythberg (2009-03-26 10:37:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard