Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
My own home server (running on a very old laptop, 1GHz 256MB ram...) crashes sometimes.
Someone brought my attention on this:

HP DC7800SFF
C2D-E8300 (2,8ghz)
4GB/160GB/DVDRW
No OS, but that's no problem

For 325 euros. Is this a good deal? Or can I get better things at lower cost? (Keep in mind that it doesn't need to be for gaming, just server)
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

Why not just pick all the cheapest components you can find in a store and build one by yourself? You'd end up at <200€.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5717|Vancouver, BC, Canada
What sort of server is it?

You really don't need 2.8Ghz unless you're running a 64 Player BF2 server, or something of that caliber.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
Well for work (my brother owns a company) I would like to perform simulations that are CPU intensive, so the 2.8GHz is very nice
For the rest it's gonna be using it for SSH and downloading of things, but I know that that doesn't need this much.

Just wanted to know if this is a good price for it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard