{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6471
Hi All.

A mate of mine has just bought a new laptop - dual core AMD, 256mb Nvidia (cant remember number) etc.  The specs are well above the min required.  However, when he clicks the ICON to load the game the screen goes black and bounces him back to desktop for both BF1942 and BF2.  He is using Vista - so I guess it may need to be run as Administrator and under a different O/S compatibility.  I tried running it under Win98. Win 2000, Win XP - and the same thing happens - black - CTD.  I googled and search - and found that Run as Adminstrator and the changing the OS was the fix - but I tried that and it still wont run.

I did the "will it run" test within BF1942 - and the only check mark which said "no" was OS - as it saw it as Win NT.  So I think its fair to say it has to be OS related.  Any advice out there please?

PS - I did use the search function but not luck.

Cheers
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6656|Keyboard
Do a "run as administrator" in the program files folder for the BF2 executable, it should start working after doing that.
{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6471
Thanks for the reply - so you saying go into the folder and find the BF1942.exe and run as administrator from there?  The reason i query this - is that not the same as right clicking the Icon - as its a shortcut to the same file?
{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6471
We did that - and still it loads the splash screen for 1942 and then back to desktop.
hacefrio
+4|6250
Run BF2 in window mode (edit your shortcut target line..cant remember what it is) but instead of crashing to desktop bf2 will give you an error report.  Tell me what that says. Does your laptop have an unsupported refresh rate or resolution? Bf2 is picky about that kinda stuff.  If your refresh rate is 61,59,58 or some weird number like that Bf2 wont start properly.  If the problem is an unsupported refresh rate you could try a program to force a supported refresh rate such as "Direct Refresh."  If that doesn't work you're gonna have to hook up another monitor to play bf2 with the right res/ref rate.
{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6471
I will check with him - it would be handy if anyone can tell me what the shortcut change would be.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard