¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6305
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is signaling that he's open to compromise on overhauling the nation's health care system. Obama told participants at the end of a health summit that although he offered a plan during last year's campaign, he isn't wedded to that proposal. He told Republicans and Democrats, doctors and insurers — "I just want to figure out what works."

The president said there are some elements that all sides can agree on, such as electronic health records that will save lives and money. Other issues — such as his $634 billion down payment for expanded coverage — are certain to create deep divisions.

He said: "We have to keep an open mind."

Obama invited more than 120 people who hold a wide range of views on how to fix the system.

Obama entered the room with Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, who is battling a brain tumor. After brief remarks summarizing the participants' observations, Obama called on Kennedy. The veteran Democratic senator said he looked forward to being a foot soldier in the push for health care reform and said: "this time we will not fail."

The big Washington session — Obama called it a health care summit — and meetings to follow around the country show the new president's push for universal health care coverage will be more open and inclusive than the Clinton administration's failed attempt of 15 years ago.

"In this effort, every voice has to be heard. Every idea must be considered. ... There should be no sacred cows," Obama said as he opened his White House forum on what he calls the greatest threat to the U.S. economy — rising health care costs. Mindful that opponents derailed the Clinton plan, Obama also issued a warning: "Those who seek to block any reform at all, any reform at any cost, will not prevail this time around."

The U.S. system is the world's costliest; the country spends some $2.4 trillion a year on health care. It leaves an estimated 48 million people uninsured, and many others lack adequate insurance.

Although he wants coverage for all, the president suggested a willingness to compromise. That, too, was a break from former President Bill Clinton's posture in the 1990s when he promised to veto any health care measure that didn't give him what he sought.

This time, Obama said, "Each of us must accept that none of us will get everything we want, and no proposal for reform will be perfect." And, he said, "While everyone has a right to take part in this discussion, no one has the right to take it over."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29524754/
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
I'd like to see us socialize medicine, but as long as illegals are part of the equation, it's going to be hard to come up with something that will actually last.
13rin
+977|6482
Good luck Mr. Obama.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6471

Turquoise wrote:

I'd like to see us socialize medicine, but as long as illegals are part of the equation, it's going to be hard to come up with something that will actually last.
Then why not make it easier for them to become citizens?

We don't like that they drain our resources. They don't like that they don't have full rights and could get deported.

Why not solve everyone's problems?
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6709

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We don't like that they drain our resources. They don't like that they don't have full rights and could get deported.

If you make them citizens, more will come.  We need a border fence.  What part about that statement do you people not understand???
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If you make them citizens, more will come.  We need a border fence.  What part about that statement do you people not understand???
Why don't we make them earn citizenship through military service?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6678|Canberra, AUS
That's actually an interesting idea, meriting discussion (@Macbeth). I don't know how successful it will be, though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

Spark wrote:

That's actually an interesting idea, meriting discussion (@Macbeth). I don't know how successful it will be, though.
English and Spanish speaking Commanders over all Mexican units. Give them discipline and respect for authority and some skills they could use when they get back. Teach them English. It could work.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6383|MN
Can we use them as a cheap workforce seeing how they will be just sitting around doing nothing on the military bases?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6678|Canberra, AUS
The best solution, though, would be to stop them coming, despite it giving America the rare position amongst Western nation of not running the risk of an ageing/declining population.

After all, the key word in 'illegal immigrants' is illegal.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

LividBovine wrote:

Can we use them as a cheap workforce seeing how they will be just sitting around doing nothing on the military bases?
No, that is for the American citizens to do. We could use the immigrants for patrols and other combat intensive actions.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6383|MN

Macbeth wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

No, that is for the American citizens to do. We could use the immigrants for patrols and other combat intensive actions.

Macbeth wrote:

I know what he meant. I'm just saying those troops in the middle of nowhere some place where a war will probobly not start and are they are not doing anything why not put them to work? They could be used for mining or cheap construction labor or they could replace or reinforce the local police.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

LividBovine wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I know what he meant. I'm just saying those troops in the middle of nowhere some place where a war will probobly not start and are they are not doing anything why not put them to work? They could be used for mining or cheap construction labor or they could replace or reinforce the local police.
I mood swing a lot.
But if we're going to have immigrants in the military we could use them for the combat while the citizens relax.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6156|what

Canon fodder?

Although your idea does kill two birds with one stone, macbeth. (bad choice of words)
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6383|MN
Sounds like slave labor to me, or at least explotation of a minority.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

AussieReaper wrote:

Canon fodder?

Although your idea does kill two birds with one stone, macbeth. (bad choice of words)
Not really canon fodder as much as near limitless expendable soldiers.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6414|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Canon fodder?

Not really canon fodder as much as near limitless expendable soldiers.
That would be the definition of cannon fodder.

That creates a subclass within the military...which would be detrimental to good order and discipline. Bad bad bad bad idea.

The military already offers a path to citizenship through military service. To offer it carte blanche is a bad thing. We don't have enough end strength to allow it, to raise our end strength to the level required would shoot the defense budget even higher than it is now.

And they would get socialized medicine...and hate it.

To bring it back on topic.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I prefer the idea of arresting employers of illegals, deporting the illegals themselves, and setting a wide minefield along the border.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard