White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland
Starting a new job tomorrow, I have never needed to make a network because it's just my computer in the house.

Boss at work wants me to set up a wireless network with 4 PC's and 2 laptop's... laptop's on Vista.

BT Business Hub for router.

What's the best way for me to do this?
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6323|uk

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/assets … _Guide.pdf

Srsly- its nothing to worry about. Firstly, they are a piece of piss to get setup and running anyway, Secondly, there will be instructions, and there are 1000000000000000000000 guides on the internet to help you out.

Basically, the steps are....

1) Plug the shit in
2) Either do the installation CD, or connect to the router manually (usually by typing either http://192.168.0.1, or http://192.168.1.1 into your browser)
3) Enter your details- ISP connection type/ username/ password.
4) Enjoy Internet

Wireless should work out of the box, but you _will_ need to secure it using a encryption method such as WEP, WPA etc; but this is all done via the lovely web interface of the router, and instructions will be somewhere.

EDIT- A more detailed guide can be found over here. You will also usually find a lot of the important information: IP for the router, default username and password, on the bottom of the router.

Last edited by Titch2349 (2009-03-01 13:17:29)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland
Thanks very much for that Titch.

All the computers work fine with the internet over Wireless. No problems there.

There is a really good new printer and they are wanting to share it over the network. It is Wi-fi enabled.

I spent 5 hours trying to get the bloody thing working, but got nothing =/
Defiance
+438|6641

Look in the manual for the printer, configuring it should be the only difficulty. Then just add the printer on all the PCs.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6323|uk

Check to make sure that the IP configuration of the printer is correct.... I assume your network uses DHCP to hand out IP details, so check the printer supports DHCP. If this isn't the case, then you will have to insert the IP details manually- this gets slightly more complicated, as you will have to adjust the DHCP pool used by the router to exclude the address you assign to prevent an IP conflict, but we'll cross that if we get to it.

If the IP is handed out via DHCP, then bare in mind that the IP of the printer _will_ change- so if it is 192.168.0.10 1 minute, it might be 192.168.0.15 10 minutes later.

Also make sure that the wireless encryption method you are using is supported, and setup on the printer- WEP / WPA etc.

Don't worry about getting the printer drivers and actual printing working first- make sure all the devices can ping each other, or that the printer is visible on the network.

Last edited by Titch2349 (2009-03-01 13:28:25)

JoshP
Banned
+176|5659|Notts, UK
continuing from titch's post:

to check if it's visible on the network, look in the router's web interface and find something along the lines of "Attatched Devices" and see if you can see the printer there - if you can, obviously it's connecting to the network OK, if you can't, you need to fix something

It might not show up with a particularly obvious name there - so write down the MAC address of the printer, and compare it with the one in the router interface to see if they actually are the same

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard