Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6428|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  No one has tried to refute it yet. 
If it is legalized and taxed, people will still buy the illegally grown stuff if it's cheaper, which it will be.  The amount of illegally grown Marijuana will greatly  increase, because police will stop wasting time trying to shut down marijuana growers.  The type of government he is trying to push will be weakened by the legalization of marijuana.  Some money would be made from taxes, but not enough to make up for the cost of medical care and the jobless potheads this would create.
Ding ding ding.

This is just more incentive for the illegal trade to grow. It's kinda like having a ban on blue cars, and then painting all cars blue and taxing them. What would you rather want? The cheap, untraceable, illegally made car, or the expensive, taxed legal car? Would you be at all afraid of selling the former?
Bullshit.

If this was true, then there would be more illegal trade in alcohol and tobacco as well.

Because neither of those trades saw an increase in illegal trade after legalization and taxation, your logic fails.

It's absurd to think the illegal trade would increase, because the profit margin would be much lower after legalization.  Most of the reason for the high value pot has is that it's contraband.  As soon as you legalize something, the value goes much lower than before.

Nice try though.
BVC
+325|6719

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  No one has tried to refute it yet. 
If it is legalized and taxed, people will still buy the illegally grown stuff if it's cheaper, which it will be.  The amount of illegally grown Marijuana will greatly  increase, because police will stop wasting time trying to shut down marijuana growers.  The type of government he is trying to push will be weakened by the legalization of marijuana.  Some money would be made from taxes, but not enough to make up for the cost of medical care and the jobless potheads this would create.
The article refers to medical marijuana only and not a model of general legalisation, which many of your statements seem directed at.

I don't believe any countries which have legalised medical marijuana have encountered the types of problems to which you refer.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

It can't be done state by state, its either national or not.
Look at the situation with Mexico, they don't have the resources or will to control it there, and it floods the whole US.

There are always going to be a small number of dipsticks who are going to use it, but there is no merit in letting the rest of the population think its safe and healthy.
If it were less harmful I'd say legalise it.
Let people grow their own in limited quantities and keep trade illegal.

If you're really too dumb or lazy to grow the easiest grown plant on earth then you probably shouldn't be taking decisions on self-medication.
As long as it's taxed, there should be no problem with the harm it causes, since it has no more harm to it than alcohol or tobacco.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

If it is legalized and taxed, the quantity of illegally-grown stuff will diminish, due to legal availability in whatever quantities the (legal) market demands and the associated risks and expenditures of growing it illegally instead. Sure, you'll get the 'moonshiners', but it wouldn't be nearly as much of a danger as (dis)organized drug dealers.

As for increased demands on medical care and heightened joblessness, why aren't you attacking booze?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-03-01 07:57:27)

Vax
+42|5875|Flyover country
Yeah I'd argue that booze is at the very least, equally 'harmful' to society, and it's legal. I also can't think of any real medicinal value there
It's funny people who characterize pot users as a bunch of deadbeat hippies. There are quite a few successfully employed people who use a bit; probably the majority.
Like anything else there are some who abuse, and some who can handle it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6129|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

As long as it's taxed, there should be no problem with the harm it causes, since it has no more harm to it than alcohol or tobacco.
Same argument applies to cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, crack etc.
Legalise and tax FTW!
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Legalise and tax FTW!
Crack and Weed are very very very different things. Shit doesn't even compare. That's like comparing drinking vodka to jet fuel. Two are bad for ya, but which fucks you up more.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
JahManRed
wank
+646|6651|IRELAND

My uncle has been in 2 really bad car accidents. He is in constant pain. His nervous system is fucked. Can't close his fist, raise arms past shoulder height. He takes 30pills a day & MS drugs to dissipate the pain, and therefore weakening it, from his nervous system to his entire body. He has had over 20 major operations. He has just been in to get plates fixed to his spine and neck to hold his vertebra apart. A friend of mine left him in 2 joints of pure high grade weed to the hospital, where he is in recovery. He smoked it with 2 young MS patients who are in wheelchairs. He said that it has been 10 years since he has had no pain. He had no pain for four hours after he smoked it. The guys with MS said the same. He says he felt the pain run down his chest, legs and its disappeared from his toes.
He was contemplating a further operation which has a 50% chance of leaving him paraplegic and 50% of reducing his pain slightly. He now isn't going for the op. He is taking up smoking weed. lol.
You cannot deny its medical uses to people that it genuinely helps. Fuck sake if a drug was manufactured that provided such results, it would be criminal if the people who needed it where denied access.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Legalise and tax FTW!
Normally, a response like this would cause me to say you're on crack, but obviously, you've never done it, because if you did, you'd know that cocaine and weed are very different in their effects, level of danger, and damage to society.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5609

I've said it before, to me it's not an issue of money, productivity, or civil law. It's an issue of rights. I think every person has the full right to decide to put whatever they want into their own body. Nobody here or in government has any right to tell anyone what they can or cannot put into their own body.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6552|Global Command

Macbeth wrote:

I've said it before, to me it's not an issue of money, productivity, or civil law. It's an issue of rights. I think every person has the full right to decide to put whatever they want into their own body. Nobody here or in government has any right to tell anyone what they can or cannot put into their own body.
They have the right, that's the problem.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

Har har, I have a legitimate (in California) medical license for consumption and growing pot.  I don't grow any currently and I paid about $250 out the door for my license.  The pot at the clubs is generally higher quality, costs the same, and is easier to get.  I would gladly pay a tax for less of a worry about getting harassed.  Whenever I am driving with pot I keep it in the trunk so the Police officers that seem to like to harass me can't get me for driving under the influence.  It's a great convenience and it really does help with my migraines (which have been documented by doctors since I was about 11).
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6648
I just think it is an issue that the Pro's out weigh the Con's.
I think if you had a vote on this you would find that most people would rather just see it legal than pay more bullshit taxes and fees on other stuff.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5609

ATG wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

They have the right, that's the problem.
Not in the eyes of the law.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6729
Something you have to remember is that anything that you smoke is going to have bad effects.  What really needs to happen is a pharmaceutical company needs to extract the chemical that relieves pain and concentrate it in another non-smoke able form.  The main problems I have with people smoking marijuana are:
a) Like smoking tobacco, it stinks and it can affect my health.
b) We will have to pay, with our tax dollars, for the hospitalization the idiots who take it too far.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6572|San Diego, CA, USA
Didn't someone do a study and found that pot has more carcinogens than cigarettes?
BVC
+325|6719
Harmour, that study is misleading.  In their pure forms maybe, but what you have to remember is that there are a number of chemicals added to tobacco during the preparation process, which introduce carcinogens to all processed tobacco.  When considering the results of that study, we must also consider dosage over time - gram for gram, people don't consume marijuana at the same rate as when smoking tobacco.

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Something you have to remember is that anything that you smoke is going to have bad effects.  What really needs to happen is a pharmaceutical company needs to extract the chemical that relieves pain and concentrate it in another non-smoke able form.  The main problems I have with people smoking marijuana are:
b) We will have to pay, with our tax dollars, for the hospitalization the idiots who take it too far.
One company has produced some sort of THC spray, I'm unsure of its effects but as its been around for a while I can assume it's lack of prevelence means there are significant drawbacks.  I do recall people questioning its effectiveness.

a) If someone chooses to smoke marijuana in their own home, away from you, how does this affect your health?  How can you smell it?  I share your objections to tobacco, and when these conditions affect me I either let smokers know about it, or walk away.
b) Its incredibly hard to get into a state which requires medical attention on marijuana - more so than tobacco, alcohol or caffeine.

A question Deadmonkiefart, if you will.

Given the harm-based nature of your objections, how can you reconcile the legality of alcohol?  Does it not seem inconsistent to reject marijuana on the grounds of harm, given that alcohol is known to be far more harmful both to it's users (eg.alcoholism) and to those around it's users? (eg.drink driving crash victims, or victims of alcohol-fuelled attacks)

Last edited by Pubic (2009-03-02 22:08:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

Normally, a response like this would cause me to say you're on crack, but obviously, you've never done it, because if you did, you'd know that cocaine and weed are very different in their effects, level of danger, and damage to society.
I don;t see the issue, they are all harmful to greater or lesser extents, plenty of people have long productive lives loaded up with heroin.
Just set the price point correctly, you have no right to say what people can and can't do.
Wreckognize
+294|6508

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Fail. 

a) Secondhand marijuana smoke will NOT effect your health.  Worst you'll get is a contact high. 
b) It's IMPOSSIBLE to overdose on marijuana.  What about all the fratboys who waste our tax dollars by getting alcohol poisoning?

Society should embrace marijuana and demonize alcohol TBH.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I don;t see the issue, they are all harmful to greater or lesser extents, plenty of people have long productive lives loaded up with heroin.
Just set the price point correctly, you have no right to say what people can and can't do.
Gradually speaking, yes, but this takes time for society to adjust to.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
Does this mean no more DEA harassment of vendors legal under California law?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6572|San Diego, CA, USA

Wreckognize wrote:

Fail. 

a) Secondhand marijuana smoke will NOT effect your health.  Worst you'll get is a contact high. 
b) It's IMPOSSIBLE to overdose on marijuana.  What about all the fratboys who waste our tax dollars by getting alcohol poisoning?

Society should embrace marijuana and demonize alcohol TBH.
Source? 

Smoke entering lungs, pretty much whatever it is, when burning any plant matter is going to be bad for you.  Scientists are lamenting about 'third-hand' smoke btw:

Third-hand Smoke: Another Reason To Quit Smoking

Science Daily wrote:

ScienceDaily (Dec. 31, 2008) — Need another reason to add "Quit Smoking" to your New Year's resolutions list? How about the fact that even if you choose to smoke outside of your home or only smoke in your home when your children are not there – thinking that you're keeping them away from second-hand smoke – you're still exposing them to toxins? In the January issue of Pediatrics, researchers at MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) and colleagues across the country describe how tobacco smoke contamination lingers even after a cigarette is extinguished – a phenomenon they define as "third-hand" smoke.
Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 105037.htm
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Wreckognise wrote:

It will affect your health exactly the same as it affects the person smoking it.
Its also IMPOSSIBLE to be tipped over the edge into schizophrenia by alcohol.
BVC
+325|6719
Enough second-hand marijuana smoke WILL get you wasted, I know this for a fact as do several of my friends

"Third-hand smoke" is a misleading term, scaremongering; if you think about it, its really just second-hand smoke.  Calling it "third-hand" smoke is as retarded as the greenies' attempts to have fish called "sea kittens".

Earlier, I asked a question of Deadmonkiefart.  I'd now like to pose this same question to all those in this thread who are opposed to liberalisation of marijuana laws.  That question is:

Given the harm-based nature of your objections, how can you reconcile the legality of alcohol?  Does it not seem inconsistent to reject marijuana on the grounds of harm, given that alcohol is known to be far more harmful both to it's users (eg.alcoholism) and to those around it's users? (eg.drink driving crash victims, or victims of alcohol-fuelled attacks)
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6672
lol awesome

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard