FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Human rights != Quality of life.

The US has, over recent years, a fairly poor human rights record (compared with their social peers - EU, Canada etc.).

China has an abysmal human rights record (compared with almost anyone) - but is improving, very slowly.

It is clearly a stupid report China have written, simply as a backlash against the US. On the other hand, people who live in glass houses........
See previous posts re AussieReaper. Read the OP. It pointed to crime and race relations in the US, not Gitmo or anything else that presents a valid discussion point on US human rights issues.

And human rights has EVERYTHING to do with quality of life.

Nowhere did I say that the US hasn't had human rights problems in the recent past. What I DID say (reading comprehension ftw) is that China's examples of human rights violations in the US are shit. They didn't say shit about Gitmo or rendition because they have no problems with that.
Human rights don't have everything to do with quality of life. It has something to do with it. But, particularly when those human rights abuses are rarely against your own citizens, it is certainly not everything.

All I was doing is pointing out that human rights are far less relevant than quality of life for immigrants - since much of your argument seemed based around immigration and human rights would be a secondary factor, at best, in that instance.
Again, read the OP. Read what China says the US's human rights problems are. They are focused on domestic issues. That directly affects actual and perceived quality of life for residents, if it's true. Hence, if it were true, the quality of life (due to human rights violations) would suffer, and you wouldn't see people risking everything to get here.

See what I'm talking about now? You're talking generically. I'm speaking specifically to the complaints lodged by China and described in the OP. The complaints they lodged are domestic (to the US) in nature, not external.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The US made one first, but hey, let's ignore that irony and focus on the irony of China.
lets have ultimate irony and have you post something positive, just once, about the US.  instead of crying all the time.
Pass me your rose tinted glasses, first.
If you need rose-tinted glasses to note anything positive about the US, your posts may be biased.

Beijing released its own report on the US, saying crime is a threat to many Americans and racial discrimination prevails in social life across the US.
Truth. I've seen lots of minority vs white discrimination, personally.

However, China is a threat to many Chinese.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-03-01 07:39:04)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If you need rose-tinted glasses to note anything positive about the US, your posts may be biased.
If I started doing that, I'd probably be accused of only liking the US cause Obama is now in Office.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/crazy.gif
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If I started doing that, I'd probably be accused of only liking the US cause Obama is now in Office.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/r … /crazy.gif
I've actually changed my mind about Obama. He bought me a new LCD HDTV, a box of girl scout cookies, and a lifetime of gasoline, just like his supporters promised.
Vax
+42|5852|Flyover country

sergeriver wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7914357.stm

China has responded in detail to a US report published this week criticising China for alleged rights abuses.

Beijing released its own report on the US, saying crime is a threat to many Americans and racial discrimination prevails in social life across the US.

When US officials first published their report on China, Beijing told them to mind their own business.

The BBC's James Reynolds, in Beijing, says the reports are a standard yearly exchange with little practical impact.

The 9,000-word Chinese report depicts a bleak picture of the US, saying violent crime is a widespread threat to people's lives, property and personal security.

The American people's economic, social and cultural rights are not properly protected, say the Chinese, and many young Americans "have personality disorders".
It seems they took a long time to make this report, let's say one day.  GG China.
What a joke

Of course it's only a few posts here before someone brings up GITMO, lol, not even what this "report" was about.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard