destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6644|Canada
i <3 NG

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

If time travel was possible in the future. Wouldn't people have already visited us from the future?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6734
is this part of the stimulus plan...?  I bet the guy in the video is a lot of fun at parties...
hey baby... i already had sex with you... i'm from the future and i found a warmhole...

For me...I'll stick with Scientology for now thanks...
something based in reality...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-02-25 00:47:39)

Love is the answer
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6166|'straya

Macbeth wrote:

If time travel was possible in the future. Wouldn't people have already visited us from the future?
how do you know they havent? if we had discovered time travel we would have probably discovered the risk. and going round explaining how u went back in time is probably a risk
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6345

Impossible. That 2D example that guy gave fails. You can't have a portal that will connect galaxies that are millions of light years across, yet be reachable so quickly through a "tunnel" that connects the two.

Say for example, the entrance to this wormhole, or "tunnel" is in the outer reaches of our Milky Way galaxy, and the exit is in the middle of the Andromeda galaxy. EXPLAIN HOW THAT COULD WORK. It cant.

Are they saying mass isn't relative to outer space? Obviously the two galaxies are light years apart, so the wormhole exit and entrance would be light years apart, it appears to me, the distance would be the same. You can't just "fold" the universe like that guy does with a piece of paper.

In my opinion, there is no shortcut from galaxy to galaxy via some "tunnel". The distance, is the distance.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Macbeth wrote:

You'd think the birth of Jesus would have more than 3 observers, for a start.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

They were also talking about this on a rerun of The Universe tonight.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/07/2 … ngine.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rdx-fx
+955|6609
It's still questionable whether or not information can get through wormholes, much less a whole living being.

Theoretically, it might be slightly possible to put a person into a wormhole - and have a few of his constituent electrons vibrating in the same manner once they come out the other side.  Maybe.  Professor Hawking is still working on that one.

Not signing up to be stuffed through a wormhole any time soon, personally. "hey, we might be able to ID one or two of your electrons when they come out the other side" doesn't sound like a fun ride to me.

We don't even know how to keep from falling over dead after 70-100 years, or even understand how our Earth functions.  We're a looooong way off from the 'secrets of the universe' or time travel.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-02-25 01:12:27)

Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6345

rdx-fx wrote:

Theoretically, it might be slightly possible to put a person into a wormhole - and have a few of his constituent electrons vibrating in the same manner once they come out the other side.  Maybe.  Professor Hawking is still working on that one.
Well, if they got some way of "tagging" each electron, proton / atom in our body, and creating a device that can reconfigure everything exactly how it was before it was dismantled, then theoretically, a person can be "sent" at the speed of light.

amirite?

/geeky rap song.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Hawking is pretty much retired.. periodically making appearances and rarely meeting with his minions to inspire.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Kmarion wrote:

Hawking is pretty much retired.. periodically making appearances and rarely meeting with his minions to inspire.
He's also considered well past it, after he fought so long against information not becoming destroyed in a blackhole and pretty significantly proved wrong.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Will we be able to time travel soon?
No. There are more pressing issues to deal with.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6734
paper or plastic...?
Love is the answer
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

He's also considered well past it, after he fought so long against information not becoming destroyed in a blackhole and pretty significantly proved wrong.
The bet.. mmyeah
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rdx-fx
+955|6609

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Thought the whole concept of Hawking Radiation was part of the whole 'information can come back out' groundwork, no?
Hawking Radiation
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS
The physicist in me says no. The intuition in me says almost certainly.

rdx-fx wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Thought the whole concept of Hawking Radiation was part of the whole 'information can come back out' groundwork, no?
Hawking Radiation
Not really. From what I know, it's more of a logical extension of the uncertainty principle (which should be capitalized but oh well) when applied to black holes - or more specifically, the space around and on the event horizon (on either side, that is).

Plus it's key to explaining why black holes follow the Second Law of Thermodynamics (which is kinda important).

EDIT: Eh, scratch that. Misinterpreted the post...

Last edited by Spark (2009-02-25 02:07:26)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6644|Canada

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Impossible. That 2D example that guy gave fails. You can't have a portal that will connect galaxies that are millions of light years across, yet be reachable so quickly through a "tunnel" that connects the two.

Say for example, the entrance to this wormhole, or "tunnel" is in the outer reaches of our Milky Way galaxy, and the exit is in the middle of the Andromeda galaxy. EXPLAIN HOW THAT COULD WORK. It cant.

Are they saying mass isn't relative to outer space? Obviously the two galaxies are light years apart, so the wormhole exit and entrance would be light years apart, it appears to me, the distance would be the same. You can't just "fold" the universe like that guy does with a piece of paper.

In my opinion, there is no shortcut from galaxy to galaxy via some "tunnel". The distance, is the distance.
I'm sorry, didnt know u had greater knowledge than Einstein. so YOU know how space/time works, and he didnt.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

We were time travelling back in 1985. Everyone knows you only need a mall parking lot, DeLorean and EIGHTY-EIGHT MILES AN HOUR!

But yes if time travel was possible (be cool but massively risky) things would likely have already been changed, or maybe they were changed and you just never knew it. Like maybe the Axis won WW2 but someone went back in time and reverted it so they lost. Who knows.

I need to lie down now before my head implodes with thinking about this too much.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5699
https://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mr_fusion.jpg
Hakei
Banned
+295|6013

Im_Dooomed wrote:

You can't just "fold" the universe like that guy does with a piece of paper.
Forgive me for my 2nd year physics understanding, but I was under the impression that this was basically how physicists believe gravity functions?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
1. We already travel through time.

2. If person A stays at home, and person B goes down the shops for a packet of tea and returns, then person B will experience slightly less time than person A.

3. If person B could travel faster than the speed of light, then person B would get home before he left.

4. (2) is just lesser degree of (3).

5. Therefore, we do (1) every time we move (because we're always moving relative to something).
Hakei
Banned
+295|6013

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

2. If person A stays at home, and person B goes down the shops for a packet of tea and returns, then person B will experience slightly less time than person A.
I like how you specified the reason for person B going to the shops :p

Reminds me of year 9 math, where we'd get a question like this:

An Aboriginal Freight pilot travels 300 miles north and 400 miles west, how far is he from his original starting position?
But yes, twin paradox was probably the first ever science I learned outside of school and what probably got me interested in physics.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

Hakei wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The purpose of the journey is important, according to the UTT, or Unified Teabag Theory.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Hakei wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The purpose of the journey is important, according to the UTT, or Unified Teabag Theory.
That's put to practice in FPS games isn't it?
rdx-fx
+955|6609
The bit that really bends my head is how we can have 23 dimensions, but only the 4 that "aren't folded small" are the ones we experience. 

So, if we had 3 dimensions of time, and one dimension of distance - life couldn't exist.

Optics.. I'll stick to Optics as the limit of how much "fuzzy stoner wow man, far out science" I'll try and force into my mind.
Little bit of relativity, light dose of Feynman, a touch of Planck is okay..  but you all can keep the string theory and anything involving Reality as a reflected hologram off the surface of a Nth dimensional sphere or general multidimensional superhappyfun science.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard