Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
The phrase I have said every time I've played TF2 without fail.

Mostly, I play dm_store, due to the instant action. What I hate though is when an enemy demoman stands behind a crate, and launches grenade after grenade at the spawn door. Or he launches stickys at the spawn door, and blows them up whenever the door opens. This, in my mind, is SKILL-LESS. Launching grenades in a random direction hoping to score a kill is all luck. No skill involved. Unless you call clicking the mouse button a skill.

Whenever I find one in close quarters, it's launch launch launch, hope to hit me, blow self up in the process. Surely that can't be a tactic.

It's not just on dm_store though. I swear to god whenever I come up against a demoman in close quarters, he panicks. Every single demoman panicks, because they weren't expecting it. They were expecting to just hide behind the rest of the team, and fire grenades over them in the off chance that they hit someone. If they don't switch to their primary weapon, they go to their sticky and fire them randomly at the ground, and the sheer splash damage always kills me. On Payload maps, they cover the bomb in stickys. Anyone who goes near it, boom. This slows the gameplay right down, only way to get around this is to shoot them off, giving the demoman plenty of time to spam their primary grenades at the person shooting the stickys off.

I suppose it's not Valves fault, in theory the demoman is a good class, but the general public just use it skillessly. I don't know about the 'pro' scene, so I'm only speaking from public experiences.

tl;dr, demoman is skilless and I hate him. Not because he's black.

Last edited by Finray (2009-02-22 15:22:12)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6164|Schofield Barracks
people like that love to hear people like you complain.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
Who the fuck cares if he's "skill-less", like any other the other classes require this mysterious "skill" that all the competitive fags always bitch for.

I mean look at the other classes, Pyro, you just W+M1. Heavy is W+M1+M2, soldier, just get the thing close and you've done damage. Medic- you don't even have to fucking press your mouse button, the medigun stays on the guy you're healing. Spy, real tough getting behind people. Engineer, just build shit.

None of the classes in the game (save maybe sniper and to a lesser extend scout) require much of any "skill". Valve have even said that they have designed the game so that an individual's skill doesn't even matter at all.

TF2 is not about skill, it's about Tactics and Teamwork. The more intelligent team will win against the more skilled team, as that is the way the game works.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Are you one of these people?
Bratwurstschnecke
+77|6647|respawn screen
Valva gave advice about how to make maps so they are balanced for all classes. A lot of custom maps are not. Play other maps.

And yes, Demoman is a good camping class.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Bratwurstschnecke wrote:

Valva gave advice about how to make maps so they are balanced for all classes. A lot of custom maps are not. Play other maps.

I don't play custom maps, apart from store.

Last edited by Finray (2009-02-22 15:31:51)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438

Finray wrote:

Bratwurstschnecke wrote:

I don't play custom maps.

Funky_Finny wrote:

Mostly I play dm_store
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Finray wrote:

Bratwurstschnecke wrote:

I don't play custom maps.

Funky_Finny wrote:

Mostly I play dm_store
see edit.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6164|Schofield Barracks

Finray wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Are you one of these people?
When i am called a noob or a fag or anything for killing someone with a certain weapon i love to hear people complain. it is one of the funniest things ever. sometimes i just run around in CoD4 with juggernot ,noobtube, marty down.
but i dont camp with noob tube or play tf2.

Last edited by MAGUIRE93 (2009-02-22 15:33:21)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438
Demoman is supposed to be the spam class. Why do you think none of his weapons are direct firing?

He is supposed to provide indirect fire, try fighting one directly. So long as you strafe and shit, he'll more often than not and you'll be able to kill him.

If you cannot strafe fast enough then you're probably a Heavy or Soldier and in that case you have enough health and firepower to take him down despite this.

Demo fills his niche well, like the other classes. And if you catch him out of that niche, he's done.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Demoman is supposed to be the spam class. Why do you think none of his weapons are direct firing?

He is supposed to provide indirect fire, try fighting one directly. So long as you strafe and shit, he'll more often than not and you'll be able to kill him.

If you cannot strafe fast enough then you're probably a Heavy or Soldier and in that case you have enough health and firepower to take him down despite this.

Demo fills his niche well, like the other classes. And if you catch him out of that niche, he's done.
I just hate it how you can be good at him but have no skill at all.

Scout - You need to have fast reflexes and be able to strafe well
Soldier - You need to predict the path of people.
Demoman - Ability to click the mouse button
Pyro - Ability to flank and catch people off guard
Engie - Find good spots to set up camp, be able to identify spys
Heavy - come to think of it, just hold down the fire button. But the class is better balanced to make him (quite) easy to kill.
Medic - Be able to stay behind cover, know when to activate uber etc
Spy - Know how to trick the enemy
Sniper - Snipers always need skill.
rdx-fx
+955|6561
So, when I can stand inside the BLU fort, at the top of the spiral staircase, and kill RED snipers on their balcony with my sticky bombs - is that skill or random button clicking.

Hint: only works for BLU, as RED doesn't have holes in their roof to launch grenades through.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438

Finray wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

I just hate it how you can be good at him but have no skill at all.

Scout - You need to have fast reflexes and be able to strafe well
Soldier - You need to predict the path of people.
Demoman - Ability to click the mouse button
Pyro - Ability to flank and catch people off guard
Engie - Find good spots to set up camp, be able to identify spys
Heavy - come to think of it, just hold down the fire button. But the class is better balanced to make him (quite) easy to kill.
Medic - Be able to stay behind cover, know when to activate uber etc
Spy - Know how to trick the enemy
Sniper - Snipers always need skill.
Not really.

Predict the path of the enemy? Only at long ranges/

Flank and catch off guard? Not really skill but a tactic.

Find good places to camp? You shitting me?

Stay behind cover? Real hard. Activating the uber isn't hard also, just ask "ya' ready for the uber?"

Tricking the enemy isn't skill either, it doesn't require practice so much as it does knowing what does/doesn't work. Beyond that nothing really to Spy.

And it's not like Demo is really OP anymore. He might be just a little but think about it. Stickies are not longer good in CQC, and can be killed with bullets negating their effectiveness if they are noticed. The GL if just a worse version of the Rocket-Launcher in direct combat if the enemy is moving erratically, and even then you need a direct hit or it's a likely miss if you're shooting directly. Plus not only is the RL a better direct fire weapon than the GL, but the soldier also gets the shotgun, which is also a good direct fire weapon. Combined with the soldier's superior health and rocket jumping, he's way better at direct combat than the demoman.

He is really good though at providing indirect fire, and using traps. The former requires you to know how the grenades are going to fly, and the second requires you to think about where you can hit your enemies for the most damage, while not letting them realize that they'll be killed if they go to that area.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

rdx-fx wrote:

So, when I can stand inside the BLU fort, at the top of the spiral staircase, and kill RED snipers on their balcony with my sticky bombs - is that skill or random button clicking.

Hint: only works for BLU, as RED doesn't have holes in their roof to launch grenades through.
That's knowing where to launch the grenades, and luck that there's actually someone there.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I hope to god you never play a good demo (I consider myself to be a pretty good demo), then.

You don't kill demomen by bumrushing them, although sometimes it will work. Flank them as any (!) class and they're as good as dead.

Ironically enough, predicting player's movements and actions makes you both excellent at playing and defeating demomen. I can't tell you how many times I've killed them as an engineer (with shotty) or medic, just because they're predictable and dumb. Try playing a demoman - notice how other players kill you. Most of the time it's when you're flanked or caught off guard. A demoman with solid backing and good escape routes (see goldrush stage 2, final CP area) is very hard to kill, and rightly so. I've gotten 25-ish kill streaks in that area a few times.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Finray, don't like the way they whore demo in store?

Go spy and backstab them until they get the point. Go pyro and cp the nades away. Get an ubercharge up as medic and work with somebody to kill them.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
I love how much the word "skill" is thrown around out of context in this thread.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438

DefCon-17 wrote:

I love how much the word "skill" is thrown around out of context in this thread.
Meh, I've been playing games on the internets for 4 years now. And I still don't know exactly what constitutes skill in video games.

I do however know that whether or not something takes skill really doesn't matter as games are supposed to be for fun, and if you care so much about skill then it is because you want to think more highly of yourself as to compensate for your lacking in other areas.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

You could say that none of the classes require any skill.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Docta we should play TF2 some time. Even with my crappy ping.

I'm normally in the bottom 5 players in my time. I'm shit at it, but I have a goooooooood time being shit at TF2. Better than Deus Ex anyway, an hour of fucking progress down the drain because some stupid guard tripped an alarm after I traq'd him.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438

NooBesT wrote:

You could say that none of the classes require any skill.
I already did

Flecco wrote:

Docta we should play TF2 some time. Even with my crappy ping.

I'm normally in the bottom 5 players in my time. I'm shit at it, but I have a goooooooood time being shit at TF2. Better than Deus Ex anyway, an hour of fucking progress down the drain because some stupid guard tripped an alarm after I traq'd him.
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Meh, if ya' wanna join my game, I ain't stopping you. I usually get in the top of the scoreboard in TF2, but my K/D is ussually not much better than 1/1.

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINSSSS!
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Complaining about skillessness yet you play cod4.

the irony is killing me.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438

Miggle wrote:

Complaining about skillessness yet you play cod4.

the irony is killing me.
I was thinking about saying that, but I decided not to.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

no skilless classes in tf2 tbh
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
the reincarnation of David.P

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard