Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6248|Brisneyland

The Australian wrote:

SEVERAL US states are considering abolishing the death penalty as the execution process proves too expensive amid tough financial times.

Death penalty laws remain on the books of 36 of the 50 US states, and capital punishment is supported by about two-thirds of the American public.

But across the nation, states as diverse and far-flung as Montana, Kansas, New Mexico and Maryland are among those actively considering abolishing capital punishment in a bid to overcome ballooning budget shortfalls.

The Australian wrote:

Carrying out the death penalty can leave a state footing a bill that is 10 times higher than for an inmate serving life imprisonment.

On top of a complex and lengthy process, appeals can last years and the prisoners are often represented by lawyers paid by the state.

Guarding death rows and death chambers are also costly items on a state's budget.

The Australian wrote:

Activists have calculated that in Kansas the cost of executing a prisoner is 70 per cent higher than keeping someone in prison. The bill for a death row inmate tops $US1.26 million, while for someone serving life imprisonment costs $US740,000 dollars, according to the Death Penalty Information Centre.
This is something I didnt expect as a result of the Fiancial Crisis. Of all the moral and ethical considerations of the death penalty, it is finally ended by the GFC.

Source
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6498|Kakanien
abolishing the death penalty because of financal reasons is cynical

personally, i'm against the death penalty, but not because of moral/ethic reasons but because of the fact that there's always innocent people getting killed
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6646|London, England
Wait, so it costs more to execute someone than to imprison them for life? Didn't know that
The#1Spot
+105|6565|byah
WTH is is a prisioned inmate getting that much money in the first place?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6690|NT, like Mick Dundee

Mek, all those appeals gotta cost more than a little.

The USA could pull a China and start billing the families of the accused/executed people. Then again I suppose you guys already have taxes.....

Last edited by Flecco (2009-02-18 06:26:11)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6471|The Land of Scott Walker
They're doing it wrong.  One .308 to the brain isn't very expensive ...
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6526|so randum

Stingray24 wrote:

tbh

If you're going to have the death penalty, make it quick - i think the Japs do it quite quickly
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5727|College Park, MD

Stingray24 wrote:

I'm not saying I don't agree, but the thing is you have to have a certain amount of the appeals process. I'd rather keep a criminal alive for 40 years when he should've been taking a dirt nap than kill an innocent man. With the advent of DNA evidence and such I think we will start seeing a major reduction in the amount of time it takes for a case to be appealed and found 100% guilty.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5746|Gulf Coast

Stingray24 wrote:

truth
Stingray24
DNA evidence should expedite the process.  Much of the appeals process is a game to keep someone alive who is without any doubt guilty.  When we get down to the execution, for some reason we're worried about the murderer suffering any pain because of "cruel and unusual punishment".  .308 would take care of that bs.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6494

Mekstizzle wrote:

Wait, so it costs more to execute someone than to imprison them for life? Didn't know that
Court appeals. And most guys spend decades of Death Row before they get fragged.
Stingray24
That's the problem, I don't think they execute by firing squad anymore.  The justice system uses lethal injection because advocates for the criminals have howled anything else is cruel.  This costs more because of the staff required to administer the lethal dosages.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6494

Stingray24 wrote:

That's the problem, I don't think they execute by firing squad anymore.  The justice system uses lethal injection because advocates for the criminals have howled anything else is cruel.  This costs more because of the staff required to administer the lethal dosages.
Nah, lethal injection isn't the cause of the cost.

It's all in court fees, paying a states attoreny, judge, jury and other court room guys for an appeal eight times is way more expensive than paying guys to administer an injection once.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6646|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

Dude, it's not the actual execution that's the problem, infact that's the easy part, so your little .308 idea isn't what's needed, it's everything before that. The court case, the lawyers etc.. and spending time on death row, that's the problem. Dunno why you keep on talking like it's the final bit that's the problem
Stingray24
I fully understand the appeals process is the majority of the cost.  However, my .308 is still cheaper than lethal injection.  And it would be a bit more scary to face taking a bullet than an injection.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6498|Kakanien

FatherTed wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

tbh

If you're going to have the death penalty, make it quick - i think the Japs do it quite quickly
kinda... they kill the convicts by hanging
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6791|Cambridge (UK)

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

personally, i'm against the death penalty, but not because of moral/ethic reasons but because of the fact that there's always innocent people getting killed
if there's ever time this is appropriate, it's now:

ig wrote:

lol wut?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6431|North Carolina
Shorten the appeals process.  That would make the death penalty much cheaper.

Granted, I'm not a big fan of the death penalty myself.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6657|949

That'd be great.  In California that (abolishment of the death penalty) will never happen because the Prison Guards union is far too powerful to let any legislation detrimental to their bottom line pass.  We almost passed a proposition allocating $500 million a year minimum for the Department of Corrections   Also, states like Texas where vigilante justice and "sending a message" are still championed probably won't abolish the death penalty any time soon either, so looks like this (death penalty ending) is just a pipe dream for now.

LOL at pro-life/pro-death penalty people.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6436|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

Multiple required appeals. It's the legal fees more than the cost of imprisoning them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13rin
+977|6505

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That'd be great.  In California that (abolishment of the death penalty) will never happen because the Prison Guards union is far too powerful to let any legislation detrimental to their bottom line pass.  We almost passed a proposition allocating $500 million a year minimum for the Department of Corrections   Also, states like Texas where vigilante justice and "sending a message" are still championed probably won't abolish the death penalty any time soon either, so looks like this (death penalty ending) is just a pipe dream for now.

LOL at you equating unborn babies to hardend murders
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada

DBBrinson1 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A better demonstration of the hypocrisy of the pro-life movement is how many pro-lifers are avidly against abortion but are also against spending more on orphanages and helping out single parents more (2 things that would be essential to dealing with an abortion ban).
Warhammer
+18|5706

Turquoise wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A better demonstration of the hypocrisy of the pro-life movement is how many pro-lifers are avidly against abortion but are also against spending more on orphanages and helping out single parents more (2 things that would be essential to dealing with an abortion ban).
Do you have facts supporting this? I am actually curious.
Turquoise
O Canada

Warhammer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Do you have facts supporting this? I am actually curious.
Well, it really comes down to common sense.

If you remove the option of abortion, unplanned pregnancies aren't going to stop.

Women will have to make one of 3 choices with an unplanned pregnancy:

1) raise the kid herself (with or without a partner/spouse)
2) put the kid up for adoption
3) get a back alley abortion

1 & 2 will be more common in their occurrence.  2 will go up considerably if abortion is banned.

As for the evidence of the pro-life movement being against spending more on orphanages....  well, ask the average religious conservative what their feelings on social programs are.

The point is...  inevitably, an abortion ban will lead to bigger government than we already have -- something that contradicts much of the conservative ideal.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6657|949

DBBrinson1 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Does it matter?
I didn't equate anything, I am pointing out that pro-lifers for the death penalty are actually pro-life and pro-death.  That makes me LOL.  Did I strike a nerve or something?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard