usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

you guys are aruing about 40 bucks over 30K hours?  christ i can waste 40 bucks in like a second.  (COD4 for example)
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

usmarine wrote:

you guys are aruing about 40 bucks over 30K hours?  christ i can waste 40 bucks in like a second.  (COD4 for example)
Errmmm, does 38% more expensive sound better? Most people I know have more then 1 light bulb. Theres at least 35 in this house which all adds up. $1400 to be precise.

Maybe not that important but when people are struggling to pay mortgages and put food on the table every bit helps.
BVC
+325|6666
Buy a bunch of geobulbs, and keep your old incans/CFLs.  When you move, take your geobulbs out and put your old bulbs back in.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5970|The Mitten

Pubic wrote:

Buy a bunch of geobulbs, and keep your old incans/CFLs.  When you move, take your geobulbs out and put your old bulbs back in.
Or just leave them with empty sockets.
EE (hats
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Pubic wrote:

I like your thinking. Keep it with you. Like herpes.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Pubic wrote:

You get herpes from changing lightbulbs?

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

DrunkFace wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Total cost still more then fluorescent ones, but as the tech develops the $120 will surely drop. I remember when fluorescent bulbs were up around the $25-30, and now they're $5-8.
No they are not. The total cost figure is a little misleading in the OP. It does not consider the fact that led's last twice as long as cfls.

CFL $107 over five years
LED $147 over ten years
Yes it does.
12 CFL (5*12=$60) = 30,000 hours, 1 LED ($120) =30,000 hours
30,000 hours CFC = $47 electricity, 30,000 hours LED = $27

Total for 30,000 hours (the same time)
CFC = $107
LED = $147

LED is $40 more expensive every 30,000 hours.
My mistake. They did have that in their equation. I'd also expect it to come down as well when the market opens up and competition interjects itself.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6513|Texas - Bigger than France
This is precisely the problem I have with introducing new green technology.  Hybrids cars are more expensive than regular.  Green bulbs are more expensive than regular.

And here's a more extreme example: in my town they what to put in a Petroleum Coke plant which will: 1) lower the cost of electricity for my county by 44%, 2) attract new businesses because of the low cost electricity, 3) add less than 1/2% of the pollution cap, 4) operate WELL below the environmental danger levels by 85%, 5) decrease the amount of Pet coke going to China where it is burned with NO environment controls, 6) eliminate an old, more polluting plant nearby.

So the Sierra Club comes in town and decides to try to stop construction.  They want the plant to use Gassification technology, which reduces the environmental impact by 50% compared to Pet Coke (aka 1/2% versus 1/4% of the cap)...which isn't much when the cap is at 100%, right?  If the Sierra Club is successful, the plant will not be built at all.  Why?  In a deregulated electricity market, gassification will actually increase the cost of electricity by 23%, so people will continue to buy electricity from the old, overpolluting plant nearby.

BTW, the cost of the processes do not vary significantly with the price of oil - pet coke will always be from 47% to 38% less, while gassification will be 15% to 25% more.

So yeah, argue "it's worth it" all the time, but consumers can be very price driven.  So how come "green" is but one letter away from "greed"?
JAyThaRevo
+31|6257|Austria
on topic

i just love LED's
they are the future for sure and it will save a shit load of electricity
over here, in europe, the production of normal 100W light bulbs was stopped 2 months ago i belief
and 2012 the production of 80W and 60W will also be stoped
i find this great
we finally start somewhere to protect our enviroment and not just talk like we did all the time
even though the "green" stuff will be or still is a bit more expensive i have no probs with it
because that simply is the price we have to pay for destroying the enviroment...

Last edited by JAyThaRevo (2009-02-11 14:29:56)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Pug wrote:

Green bulbs are more expensive than regular.
Sure if you ignore the major advantages like lasting longer and using far less electricity.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6513|Texas - Bigger than France

Kmarion wrote:

Pug wrote:

Green bulbs are more expensive than regular.
Sure if you ignore the major advantages like lasting longer and using far less electricity.
My point is the following:

I'm impatient.  I want the prices to go down, not because I'm hatin' green stuff...but because I know some people are going to merely buy the cheapest, which happens to be the worst choice available.

In addition, the same price means people don't have to do a cost/benefit analysis to figure this out.  I'm imagining the marketing costs and larger packaging is required to explain why its better as well...

Last edited by Pug (2009-02-11 15:03:46)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Pug wrote:

In addition, the same price means people don't have to do a cost/benefit analysis to figure this out.
Habit.. I do it professionally..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Zukabazuka
+23|6656
Its not like you have those on 24/7, the reduce in electric bill seem quite nice. A course I took part in some week ago we did a math with those lamps, we would save around 30% energy than a normal one.

Sure it might cost a bit to fill the house with those lamps but its not like they are gonna break in a while.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

Kmarion wrote:

http://i44.tinypic.com/eu1nwm.jpg
An idea

For the first time, using high efficiency LED light bulbs doesn't mean forgoing light intensity. The C. Crane GeoBulb II Long Lasting LED Light Bulb not only uses a mere 8 watts of energy when compared to the normal 60 watts that is used by a regular 60-watt incandescent light bulb, but it offers more light. The GeoBulb also has an estimated lifespan of approximately 30,000 hours, which means it tough enough to last you for years and years to come. Standard incandescent bulb uses mercury and gives off a humming sound, none of which is present with this LED. Additionally, the GeoBulb generates little to no heat and isn't susceptible to failure as a result of vibrations or repeated on/off switching. At the same size as conventional bulbs, you can be sure the GeoBulb will work anywhere in your home, even in colder temperatures. Take advantage of this technology and save money while using an energy efficient, environmentally friendly light bulb.
  • What colors are available?The GeoBulb™ comes in Cool White, Soft White and Warm White. Cool White is 5,223 Kelvin and has a slight blue tint but is close to actual sunlight. Soft White is 3,812 Kelvin and a modern color blend between Cool and Warm. Warm White is 2,642 Kelvin and close to a tradition incandescent color.What color is best for my application?
  • Cool White is the most energy efficient and puts out the most light for work areas. Soft White is a compromise for maximum light output while having a pleasant color for general work or most home lighting. Warm White is for ambiance such as a restaurant or home lighting. All GeoBulbs™ consume 7.5 Watts but light output is reduced for on Soft White and Warm White colors.How was the GeoBulb™ designed to be used?
  • The GeoBulb™ is designed to be used indoors at an ambient temperature that does not exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit. A ceiling downlilght fixture is an excellent application for the GeoBulb™. It also works well for desk lamps or floor lamps.How long will the GeoBulb™ last?
  • The GeoBulb™ is designed to last 30,000 hours. This is three years at 24/7 or 20 years of use at an average of 4 hours day.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2u9k0w6.jpg
In 1997 we began experimenting with white LEDs. In 1998 we made our first Freeplay radio with an amber LED emergency light. When they became available, this was converted to white LEDs for our emergency flashlight. C. Crane introduced the first multi-bulb white LED flashlight in the United States in 1998. It is called the CCTrek Light and is manufactured by Tektite in Trenton, New Jersey. We still market the CCTrek light and it is still made in the U.S. Our first 120 Volt white LED bulb was marketed in 2001.Today, C. Crane is a leading distributor of high performance radios in the U.S. and a major distributor of white LED products. C. Crane has a commitment to quality and customer service.
  • Illuminates to the equivalent of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb, yet uses less than 8 watts   
  • LED light is durable enough to last up to 10 years at approximately eight hours usage per day   
  • Same size as a conventional incandescent light bulb with an innovative design   
  • Suitable for replacement of any indoor light bulb

http://www.geobulb.com/

They aren't cheap if you aren't looking long term (good quality LED's rarely are). But I'm sure the prices will come down. Having these installed in new homes would be .
https://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1796/badbadbaduln0.jpg

can i has mod status noaw? jkjkjk.

Carry on.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

It would suck to buy a box of those for you're home, then trip outside the store and break them all.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

uevjHEYFFQ wrote:

It would suck to buy a box of those for you're home, then trip outside the store and break them all.
Three year unconditional warranty. They will fix them if they break.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BVC
+325|6666

Kmarion wrote:

Pubic wrote:

I'd rather have LED bulbs than Herpes.  Presently I have neither.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

DrunkFace wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Errmmm, does 38% more expensive sound better? Most people I know have more then 1 light bulb. Theres at least 35 in this house which all adds up. $1400 to be precise.

Maybe not that important but when people are struggling to pay mortgages and put food on the table every bit helps.
We're talking all of a few dollars (under 5) a year if you use it a few hours a day...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'll wait for greater availability and for prices to go down. I'd be quite willing to install these in my warehouse to eliminate some of the buzz. The problem with spending more for long-term investments is that it's no longer in your bank account to accumulate interest.

Im_Dooomed wrote:

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1796 … aduln0.jpg

Carry on.
/move to 'Tech,' mr mod.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-02-12 01:18:02)

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Im_Dooomed wrote:

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1796 … aduln0.jpg

Carry on.
Kmarion is not selling the bulbs himself merely advertising the tech behind the product with extensive documentation, if you were mod material you would have known the difference  ..... jkjkjkjk.

Carry on.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

DrunkFace wrote:

Theres at least 35 in this house which all adds up. $1400 to be precise.

I'm assuming that if you wanted to dive into them straight away that you'd only buy one or two for use in your most commonly-used (and jostled) light fixtures. Many people already have mercury sticks, so they'll probably wait until they have to flush mercury dust from a room (over-curious cat, anyone?) before they'll replace those.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

DrunkFace wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Chump change when buying a new home. I don't think anyone is saying that the people who are struggling to feed their family will be buying these now. It's cool to actually see a production version of them. They need to make a can light model for me though. While at it work it out so we can dim them also.
Having these installed in new homes would be .
I'm thinking these bulbs might be mandatory some day. Builders will surely get them at a discounted price.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Ah, thank you Mr.GeoBulb Marketing Director
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ah, thank you Mr.GeoBulb Marketing Director
Anytime little boy.
Xbone Stormsurgezz