0akleaves
+183|6605|Newcastle UK
My mate just round the corner has just bought a belkin adsl modem for his internet as hers has just packed up. Now when setting it up she is asked to go to the routers settings in ie which she does then it brings up a menu asking for these:

VPI/VCI number
Encapsulation type
MTU number

Now they have rang up their isp which is talk talk (UK) and they said to ring the modems tech support which has like a 20 minute que at like 10p per minute.

any help guys?

ty
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria

Wikipedia wrote:

A maximum MTU for PPPoE/DSL connections is 1492, per RFC 2516: 6 bytes being PPPoE header, leaving enough room for a 1488 byte payload, or 31 full ATM cells.
I've used two different DSL ISPs via PPPoE before and the default setting of 1492 was always fine for me.
I don't remember the other values though.

Maybe you can find help on pages/forums like these:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ukbb
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6430|King Of The Islands

Here in Australia, VPI/VCI is 8/35. Fuck knows what you guys use but you could try it, you won't break anything.

Google says 0/38.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)
Have you tried using the talk-talk installation CD that your friend should have received with the modem/router?
cospengle
+140|6478|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Have you tried using the talk-talk installation CD that your friend should have received with the modem/router?
My interpretation of the OP is that the modem is new and was not provided by the ISP.

The ISP should be able to tell you the settings to use. But I'm not surprised they can't.

There may be some sort of forum site dedicated to UK ISPs (I know there's at least one here in Australia for Aussie ISPs), you might be able to find the info there. Bugger paying by the minute to stay on hold.

EDIT:

For UK:
Encapsulation: PPPoA or PPPoE
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
[source]

Also, try this.

Last edited by cospengle (2009-02-04 14:30:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard