Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black

Vilham wrote:

Spark wrote:

Vilham wrote:

im more interested in how much elecy they use tbh
LED's.
Do all LED's use low amounts of electricity. Im pretty sure like most things, the more powerful the source of light the more electricity it uses, if this thing lights as bright as a bulb I expect it still uses quite a bit.
Thing is, the energy input is inefficiently used in lightbulbs. The energy output is light and heat, but with these it's almost all light. So they're much more efficient.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6766|UK

Finray wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Spark wrote:

LED's.
Do all LED's use low amounts of electricity. Im pretty sure like most things, the more powerful the source of light the more electricity it uses, if this thing lights as bright as a bulb I expect it still uses quite a bit.
Thing is, the energy input is inefficiently used in lightbulbs. The energy output is light and heat, but with these it's almost all light. So they're much more efficient.
Ah k see what your saying.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644

Dilbert_X wrote:

LEDs are the future, or some similar technology.
Use of compact fluorescents is just madness.
they should have these types of contests for computers and other stuff 2 humanity would flourish
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

blademaster wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

LEDs are the future, or some similar technology.
Use of compact fluorescents is just madness.
they should have these types of contests for computers and other stuff 2 humanity would flourish
http://www.theingenuitypoint.com/main/default.aspx

http://imaginecup.com/

The World’s Premier Student Technology Competition

"I wish there had been an Imagine Cup when I was growing up. It gets people involved in seeing that software is changing the world."

--Bill Gates                       
Chairman, Microsoft Corp.

Everything that the world may become "someday" lies in the hands of young people today. As they look at the road ahead, their close relationship with technology enables them to dream in ways we never have before. Put the two together, and you have young minds holding the tools that can make their vision a reality.

This is the recipe that inspired Microsoft to create the Imagine Cup. What begins with a burst of inspiration and a lot of hard work can become a future software breakthrough, a future career, or a flourishing new industry. The Imagine Cup encourages young people to apply their imagination, their passion and their creativity to technology innovations that can make a difference in the world – today. Now in its seventh year, the Imagine Cup has grown to be a truly global competition focused on finding solutions to real world issues.

Open to students around the world, the Imagine Cup is a serious challenge that draws serious talent, and the competition is intense. The contest spans a year, beginning with local, regional and online contests whose winners go on to attend the global finals held in a different location every year.  The intensity of the work brings students together, and motivates the competitors to give it their all. The bonds formed here often last well beyond the competition itself.

I got some free programs from last years Imagine Cup event.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5684|SQUID
Good luck to the lightbulb manufacturers on that, 60 years without repeat customers lol.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
$2.85 to produce does not mean $2.85 to consumer though
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Good luck to the lightbulb manufacturers on that, 60 years without repeat customers lol.
The first producer to have a viable product on the market and sells 100 trillion LED lightbulbs will be the richest man in the universe
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

kylef wrote:

$2.85 to produce does not mean $2.85 to consumer though
TBH if it lasts as long as they say it'd sell for more than $50 and be worth it, as eggy just said, first company to produce wins, big time.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-02-12 11:39:34)

destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6626|Canada

Cheez wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

holy shit.... how would any company make money off that?
See those two flashy lights in your pc that indicate the power and the disc is being read?

Yeah - LEDs.
You know how much those types of LEDs cost?

Yeah - 3c.
im talking about, if a company sells one to a customer. the customer doesnt have to buy another one for 60 yrs. so there is no repeat customers. hence no business.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

jamiet757 wrote:

That is not a lightbulb, it is a LED. LED's have been around for a long time, and they already last a long long time without emitting any heat. This isn't really news IMO, you can't really light your house with LED's yet.
The OP was about a new type of LED that is bright enough to light your house with. Plus LED clusters were already pretty bright.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard