chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Aries_37 wrote:

he's simply saying that most IE users don't know other browsers exist. Don't know about the exact statistics but he's probably right
Yup, it's still a very common misperception. Usually not through stupidity, but just ignorance. For many years it's just been "blue e == internet". It's only the last few years that alternatives have really been even available for mass market, so it's understandable.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

chuyskywalker wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

he's simply saying that most IE users don't know other browsers exist. Don't know about the exact statistics but he's probably right
Yup, it's still a very common misperception. Usually not through stupidity, but just ignorance. For many years it's just been "blue e == internet". It's only the last few years that alternatives have really been even available for mass market, so it's understandable.
And as long as Microsoft keep shipping a 'blue e' with every copy of Windows, that will always be the case.

There will always be quite a large proportion of general internet users that only know IE or Safari, because they've only ever used either a standard windows PC or a Mac.

Mr and Mrs Mass-Market-User just don't care what browser it is, just as long as it views the web and is supposedly 'safe'.

Oh, and even saying it's ignorance is wrong - it's not - it's lack of specific knowledge that we, here on these forums, for the most part (), take for granted - like just what 'safe' really means - most of them don't even know what a 'browser' is - as you rightly say, chuy - "blue e == internet".

It's one of the toughest parts of designing and developing any kind of user-interface (whether that's at the OS, app, or web level) - being able to strip away all that 'above average user' knowledge to see the page/app/os you're designing from the eyes and knowledge-base of 'mr average user'.
andy12
Banned
+52|6627

haffeysucks wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

60% of Internet Explorer users are ignorant to all other Web Browsers, am i right?
no, shut up.  it's people like you that make people like andy12 think that people like haffeysucks don't choose a browser simply because of preference.
Maybe not you, but the broader internet user population that use one of the lesser browsers is "to be different", or it's my old favourite, "Microsoft is a corporation and that's teh badz and we're making a stand" mindset.

Oh and the reason IE users don't know about other browsers is because most don't spend over 2 hours or so a day on the net, so don't fix what aint broken. IE is relatively safe, and does what most people need. I use FF because I'm used to it, if I went to another house I'd happily use IE without spouting the "Well IE is the past you wanna get "x" browser".
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5899|NY/CT

andy12 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

60% of Internet Explorer users are ignorant to all other Web Browsers, am i right?
no, shut up.  it's people like you that make people like andy12 think that people like haffeysucks don't choose a browser simply because of preference.
Maybe not you, but the broader internet user population that use one of the lesser browsers is "to be different", or it's my old favourite, "Microsoft is a corporation and that's teh badz and we're making a stand" mindset.

Oh and the reason IE users don't know about other browsers is because most don't spend over 2 hours or so a day on the net, so don't fix what aint broken. IE is relatively safe, and does what most people need. I use FF because I'm used to it, if I went to another house I'd happily use IE without spouting the "Well IE is the past you wanna get "x" browser".
how do you know how long ie users spend online? it could be more than you, it could be less and it wouldnt make a difference anyways
maybe they like ie better and they tried other ones, ever thought of that?
probably not cuz u think ie ppl are retarded and never use the internet
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada

andy12 wrote:

GCFC wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

so you would eat a cookie made out of sawdust just because it's considered a "cookie?"  i'll take the cookie that i can personalize to my liking.  personally i don't care about speed and most webpages are compatible with firefox, so personally that's what i use.  i don't think i ever said once what you or anyone else should use.
kev - get em =]

andy -but yea there are alot of differences
time the loading time on those browsers and tell me they're the same
tell me that you can add all the same add-ons that you can on one that you can add to the others
for some people that use internet explorer cuz they like microsoft and think they make good stuff let them
they arent bothering you from being any less retarded and single minded than you already are
dont come running your mouth comparing web browsers to cookies, you look like a fool
no one cares how long you've been here, doesnt make your argument right or even valid for that matter

have a nice day
oh and firefox ftw
Lol single minded, I'm the only one here that doesn't have a fanboy opinion. Retard...
not a fanboy? see your sig... anyway they have presented some form of examples while you have only presented your opinion, which seems to be the more fanboy argument.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

(Ignoring the fapping browser fanboys above)

Most browsers today do most things pretty much identically. For everyday browsing, it really doesn't matter if you use Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer or Safari. They all support the standardized web programming, and the difference in speed/"performance" is minimal.

Some users find a certiain browser more fulfilling of their needs than other (browsers), and thus use that one. Others just don't care, and use the first they can find.

The biggest browser will always be the most vulnerable, just due to the sole fact that it is the biggest. It'll attract exploiters, as the largest audience is there. It doesn't necessarily take a bad browser for it to be "insecure", it just takes enough people trying to make it so.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

<3 Opera
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It's one of the toughest parts of designing and developing any kind of user-interface (whether that's at the OS, app, or web level) - being able to strip away all that 'above average user' knowledge to see the page/app/os you're designing from the eyes and knowledge-base of 'mr average user'.
To be fair, it's actually one of the easiest things to do -- most people just skip it.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615

Kmarion wrote:

I'm installing 7 on one of my machines right now.

http://i42.tinypic.com/23vlweb.jpg

And holy hell is it taking a long time.
nice laptop and desktop but yeah FF is awesome! also google chrome is good 2 IE is useful sometimes for windows update
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6361|fÄking denmark
Why is there one saying Firefox, and another saying Mozilla?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

andy12 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

as long as it's settled that i use firefox because i like it and i don't go around campaigning for other to use it, we're good.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

chuyskywalker wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

To be fair, it's actually one of the easiest things to do -- most people just skip it.
This is going OT, but...

run many rounds of user testing
The reason you do lots of rounds is because it's difficult to get right. Making a process cheap isn't the same as making it easy.
san4
The Mas
+311|6658|NYC, a place to live

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The biggest browser will always be the most vulnerable, just due to the sole fact that it is the biggest. It'll attract exploiters, as the largest audience is there. It doesn't necessarily take a bad browser for it to be "insecure", it just takes enough people trying to make it so.
That seems generally true but there are differences in how long it takes for vulnerabilities to be fixed. Maybe it will change as FF gains market share, but for the last several years FF vulnerabilities have been fixed faster than IE vulnerabilities (according to the Washington Post security guy's annual analysis).

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/security … for_2.html

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard