Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

Finray wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

Windows 7 Media Player supports M4a.

Not sure about FLAC, though.
Can't do FLAC and most video formats.

I will most likely be testing WMP on Windows 7 more, to see how it fares up.
What's FLAC?

Also, someone want to send me different formats via XFire so I can test them on WMP 12? (That's what W7 has right?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec

Best sound quality for compression available. The difference between MP3 and FLAC is huge.

And I can tell you now, WMP doesn't support it. Whatever version.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6506|N. Ireland
WMP seriously sucks for video more than it does audio. And audio isn't that great.
CrazeD
+368|6686|Maine
I use Winamp, because it is fast, has hotkeys, and works.

I find that pretty much all music players do the exact same thing, so pick your flavor.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6481
I use VLC cuz it can play any format known to man.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

CrazeD wrote:

I find that pretty much all music players do the exact same thing, so pick your flavor.
Not really true. Winamp is not as fast as WMP, Media Monkey or Foobar.

Many music players have certain core features and then lack others. There is no "full" music player. I doubt there ever will be.

Winamp is nowhere near the best you can get. Just by facts, not by opinion.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6745|St. Andrews / Oslo

I always ask myself....

Why can't they make a media player that has it all?

I mean, WMP is pretty awesome, but why don't they have FLAC support? I imagine it's not at all hard to implement (Or am I being ignorant here?)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

Jenspm wrote:

I always ask myself....

I mean, WMP is pretty awesome, but why don't they have FLAC support? I imagine it's not at all hard to implement (Or am I being ignorant here?)
Nope, isn't hard to implement. The reason for them not implementing it is because it's Open Source. Corporations like MS hate Open Source.

I ask myself that as well, but I guess it's because every programmer for each player has different aims.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6210|Winland

Jenspm wrote:

I always ask myself....

FLAC is about the easiest format there is. My mates mp3 player with a 30MHz ARM CPU (About 1/10th of a normal cellphone) decodes it without problems.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
JoshP
Banned
+176|5702|Notts, UK
i like itunes tbh

nice organisation, simple, plays mp3 and m4a which are the only formats i use

"smartplaylists" (auto playlists where you set up a load of criteria and songs that match them get in the playlists) are also useful and work well

and it works with my 3 ipods and isn't ugly like winamp, i also like the quickview thing where you have a box at the top containing a list of all your genres artists and albums. However on W7 i do occasionaly swap between WMP and iTunes, WMP12 and iTunes are just as good as each other really, WMP12 does most things that iTunes doesn't and vice versa, so when you have both it's pretty good

(inb4 LOLITUNES IZ GAY HURR)
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6634|London, England
Because of this thread, I went and downloaded a FLAC album and then downloaded winamp to see what the fuss is about. Yeah, it is pretty good quality, although my ears can't really make the difference between FLAC and 320kbps, although I guess Beyonce's album isn't exactly the best example for FLAC.

But thanks to w-bb being down it was the only one I could acquire via other means...

I probably will go ahead and do FLAC from now on though, time to find Carter III on FLAC

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-01-31 08:53:31)

JoshP
Banned
+176|5702|Notts, UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

Because of this thread, I went and downloaded a FLAC album and then downloaded winamp to see what the fuss is about. Yeah, it is pretty good quality, although my ears can't really make the difference between FLAC and 320kbps, although I guess Beyonce's album isn't exactly the best example for FLAC.

But thanks to w-bb being down it was the only one I could acquire via other means...

I probably will go ahead and do FLAC from now on though, time to find Carter III on FLAC
Afaik, the difference between FLAC and MP3 at 320Kbps is only really noticable when you have quite expensive speakers (like moar than £200). I don't have these so I don't download in FLAC, simply because it's too huge to bother with - 3 times the size of an MP3 320 judging from a quick scan through the torrents on what.cd.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6551|Long Island, New York

JoshP wrote:

i like itunes tbh

nice organisation, simple, plays mp3 and m4a which are the only formats i use

"smartplaylists" (auto playlists where you set up a load of criteria and songs that match them get in the playlists) are also useful and work well

and it works with my 3 ipods and isn't ugly like winamp, i also like the quickview thing where you have a box at the top containing a list of all your genres artists and albums. However on W7 i do occasionaly swap between WMP and iTunes, WMP12 and iTunes are just as good as each other really, WMP12 does most things that iTunes doesn't and vice versa, so when you have both it's pretty good

(inb4 LOLITUNES IZ GAY HURR)

Poseidon wrote:

Anyone who's so vehemently anti-iTunes that they have to actually bash the users of it must have had something crawl up their ass and die.
o/

It does what it needs to do.
Brasso
+1,549|6644

add this as a huge con under itunes: MAJOR Vista x64 issues.  and i mean major.  i've spent at least 2 full days of my entire lifetime trying to resolve itunes and vista x64 issues.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CrazeD
+368|6686|Maine

Zimmer wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Many music players have certain core features and then lack others. There is no "full" music player. I doubt there ever will be.

Are you kidding? WMP is a lot more resource heavy than Winamp.

Plus, AFAIK, WMP doesn't have hotkeys.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

CrazeD wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Are you kidding? WMP is a lot more resource heavy than Winamp.

Plus, AFAIK, WMP doesn't have hotkeys.
Maybe, not on Windows 7 though.

Also, Media Monkey has hot keys, I am pretty sure Foobar and the rest do as well. I know Songbird does and aTunes.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5801|Catherine Black

Zimmer wrote:

Also, Media Monkey has hot keys, I am pretty sure Foobar and the rest do as well. I know Songbird does and aTunes.
What are you talking about resource heavy?

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/Funky_Finny/memoryusage.png
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6640|UK
What are hotkeys (with reference to media players)?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5801|Catherine Black

liquidat0r wrote:

What are hotkeys (with reference to media players)?
Uhh, all I know is that if you press space while WMP is open and on top then it hits whatever key you hit last. (Play/pause/next/prev etc.)
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6640|UK
I see. So relatively irrelevant if you have dedicated media keys on your keyboard.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6210|Winland

liquidat0r wrote:

I see. So relatively irrelevant if you have dedicated media keys on your keyboard.
Those are also hotkeys.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

Finray wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

What are you talking about resource heavy?

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 … yusage.png
Misread Finray. I meant it wasn't. CraZeD said it was.

Yes, completely irrelevant, Liq. I have a G15, that's perfect.
CrazeD
+368|6686|Maine

liquidat0r wrote:

Sure, but I don't.

In Winamp, alt+ctrl+page up/down = next/previous song, home = pause, insert = play, end = stop...etc. There's a lot.

And, they work anywhere, even in games. Very awesome if you don't have media keys.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

CrazeD wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

Sure, but I don't.

In Winamp, alt+ctrl+page up/down = next/previous song, home = pause, insert = play, end = stop...etc. There's a lot.

And, they work anywhere, even in games. Very awesome if you don't have media keys.
Sure, just like JetAudio, Media Jukebox, Media Monkey and all of them have. It's absolutely nothing special. A feature which is in most decent music players.

https://i40.tinypic.com/1zf4sxg.jpg

Going to go into more detail about things like this once I have finished my overview of all players.
CrazeD
+368|6686|Maine
Well, like I said before. It is a media player, they all do the same thing. Some have more/less features, but unless you actually need those features (such as in my case, I need the hotkeys) then it really doesn't matter.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum
QQ; why don't my keyboard hotkeys work with anything that isnt wmp?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard