Commie Killer
+192|6384
Back November, I got a letter from on local service provider telling us we went over our bandwidth usage, but not what our limit was or how to check it, I got the same letter in December. Turns out those letters which came on the 12th and 14th respectfully pertained to the last month. When I got the second one, it said they will terminate our account if we go over again or something along those lines. So I thought shit, I really gotta check this out. So I emailed the people and they told us our limit, 50GB(yeah I know you eurofags are gonna think thats a lot), so December I made sure to stay under, and did. This month, I ended up leaving Bit torrent up over night and I went over(at like 51.4 something).

Reason Im asking this is Im trying to figure out if they are gonna cut if off, and if they do, how to I explain the large bandwith usage. Spent like 16GB download the show Weeds, then around another 20 downloading the show The Office, then say another 8 on Steam, and the rest on movies. Considering only 8GB(plus the amount that is normally used surfing the web) is legal, what are the chances of them actually checking on how I use my bandwith and cutting it off.

(Obviously Im gonna try to be a little more careful now....)
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
They won't check specifically what you're downing but p2p will be suspected by how the traffic looks. I incredibly doubt they will cut you off, they may throttle you, send you another email, or charge you a bit extra, but they won't cut you off. Not over 1GB.
Commie Killer
+192|6384

Aries_37 wrote:

They won't check specifically what you're downing but p2p will be suspected by how the traffic looks. I incredibly doubt they will cut you off, they may throttle you, send you another email, or charge you a bit extra, but they won't cut you off. Not over 1GB.
Alright thanks, that last "termination of account if excessive bandwidth usage is not ceased" kinda worried me. Told us to upgrade to a commercial account last time. Go from paying like 20 something a month to like 250 a month for a little extra bandwidth, only got one service provider around here.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5929|Somewhere out in Space
What kind of ISP fuggin terminates you for going over when its easier to charge you 3.00/GB and make easy money?
Commie Killer
+192|6384

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

What kind of ISP fuggin terminates you for going over when its easier to charge you 3.00/GB and make easy money?
PennTeleData.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London

Commie Killer wrote:

only got one service provider around here.

Then they really have you by the balls. I was going to say they wouldn't want to lose a customer over 1GB...but if they have no competition you might get in a bit of trouble. Time to come up with an excuse, the best bet is to say you use wireless and left it unencrypted by accident.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

Us Eurofags actually have unlimited internet.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

max wrote:

Only Brit and Ausfags that don't and get raped lulz.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Commie Killer
+192|6384

Aries_37 wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Then they really have you by the balls. I was going to say they wouldn't want to lose a customer over 1GB...but if they have no competition you might get in a bit of trouble. Time to come up with an excuse, the best bet is to say you use wireless and left it unencrypted by accident.
Alright, I got a wireless modem here that they provided to us so that should work.

max wrote:

Mainly directed at the Brits, thought I heard somewhere that they had like a 10GB a month cap or something...

Now that I think about it, that might be pertaining to a college
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Aries_37 wrote:

the best bet is to say you use wireless and left it unencrypted by accident.
Yep.  And if you monitor your use now, once you get around 45-50 gigs try to find an unencrypted wireless signal to suck from.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock

Commie Killer wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Alright, I got a wireless modem here that they provided to us so that should work.

max wrote:

Mainly directed at the Brits, thought I heard somewhere that they had like a 10GB a month cap or something...

8GB right here
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5929|Somewhere out in Space

Adams_BJ wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

max wrote:

8GB and half an internet right here
fuxd
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6643

Commie Killer wrote:

Back November, I got a letter from on local service provider telling us we went over our bandwidth usage, but not what our limit was or how to check it, I got the same letter in December. Turns out those letters which came on the 12th and 14th respectfully pertained to the last month. When I got the second one, it said they will terminate our account if we go over again or something along those lines. So I thought shit, I really gotta check this out. So I emailed the people and they told us our limit, 50GB(yeah I know you eurofags are gonna think thats a lot), so December I made sure to stay under, and did. This month, I ended up leaving Bit torrent up over night and I went over(at like 51.4 something).

Reason Im asking this is Im trying to figure out if they are gonna cut if off, and if they do, how to I explain the large bandwith usage. Spent like 16GB download the show Weeds, then around another 20 downloading the show The Office, then say another 8 on Steam, and the rest on movies. Considering only 8GB(plus the amount that is normally used surfing the web) is legal, what are the chances of them actually checking on how I use my bandwith and cutting it off.

(Obviously Im gonna try to be a little more careful now....)
I know since Im a comcast user that they monitor ur user activity all the time, not sure how it is with ur ISP. thats why users that consume more than 250 Gigabyte of bandwidth per month are cut off automatically. Comcast offers its Internet subscribers a bandwidth usage meter which allows the users to see how much bandwidth they use.
CrazeD
+368|6670|Maine

max wrote:

Us Amerifags do too. Or, at least I do.
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6741|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
i got 30 gig onpeak and 30 gig off peak in Perth Australia

IInet naked DSL 24mb connection

and you can get unlimited also with some ISPs here
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

CrazeD wrote:

max wrote:

So do I.  I can't even imagine what our household (me + 3 brothers) use.
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6405|Somersetshire
I got Unlimited download and unlimited upload usage but during peak hours (6pm - 11pm) if I DL over 100GB a month they put me on a "special" thing because they have a fair usage policy lol
Brasso
+1,549|6628

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

max wrote:

So do I.  I can't even imagine what our household (me + 3 brothers) use.
i don't know if it's unlimited, but last month i downloaded at least 75GB.  so i think it is.

who else here uses optimum online by cablevision?  do we have unlimited?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-01-29 18:03:33)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
Did you not read, sign or even look at a contract?

How do you not know the details of something you're shelling out money for every month.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6497|so randum
they won't cut you off. worth more as a customer as not
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6436|King Of The Islands

GAIKIWARRIOR wrote:

and you can get unlimited also with some ISPs here
256k is $80 lulz.

(FYI: 256k can do about 80GB/month max).
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5902|CA
$34.99 a month for unlimited download/upload (with a Download speed of ~600KB/S)

Go figure, it's AT&T...I have their "Elite user" package, which is pretty decent considering people have bandwidth caps (that would suck IMO).

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=6431

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-01-29 22:08:36)

Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6227|NSW, Australia

Adams_BJ wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

max wrote:

8GB right here
i just got 1.5/256 today with an 80 gig limit    (35 peak + 45 off peak) $70

upgraded from 512/128 20 gig $50
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6740|London

Cybargs wrote:

max wrote:

Only Brit and Ausfags that don't and get raped lulz.
We (the british) have unlimited internet too.

It's just that some ISPs limit it and then you have the idiots who use them. I suppose it's fair enough if you only use the internet just to look at web pages and e-mail etc, but otherwise you have no excuse.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Nappy wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

8GB right here
i just got 1.5/256 today with an 80 gig limit    (35 peak + 45 off peak) $70

upgraded from 512/128 20 gig $50
Was looking at prices today also and TPG has 40G + 110 24Mbit/1Mbit for $70.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard