Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Yesterday was 37 degrees Celsius here in Canberra, today the same, tomorrow the same, Saturday a tad warmer, Sunday a tad cooler. That's a tick under 100 degrees F for those unfamilar with the Celsius scale. In fact:

Bureau of Meteorology forecast for Canberra wrote:

Saturday     Fine, mostly sunny.               Min 18    Max 38
Sunday       Possible afternoon shower.        Min 18    Max 36
Monday       Possible afternoon or overnight shower.    Min 18    Max 34
Tuesday      Possible afternoon shower.        Min 18    Max 34
Wednesday    Possible afternoon shower.        Min 18    Max 36
Thursday     Possible afternoon shower.        Min 18    Max 37
That's crazy heat for a full week. The winds, mercifully, are light-ish (10-20kmh)

But that's nothing compared to what Adelaide and Melbourne are getting.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st … 01,00.html

THE soaring temperature in Adelaide has threatened the national capital city record of 46.2C, set in Perth in 1991.

As a heatwave gripped southern Australia, the mercury in Adelaide pushed above today's forecast of 44C, threatening a record set in the city in 1939.

Temperatures in the CBD and suburbs topped 40C at about 10am, reaching 45.5C just before 2pm, before dropping back to 45.2C.

The hottest temperature recorded in Adelaide was 46.1C, 70 years ago, which is still cooler than the state's record of 50.7C, set at Oodnadatta in 1960.

This is the second day in a row in which SA temperatures have topped 40C, with the Australian Bureau of Meteorology tipping temperatures to be above the heatwave benchmark until at least Sunday.

The heatwave in Victoria is also expected to last several days and be the region's worst since 1908, raising fears of heat-related deaths and bushfires following years of drought.

To add to that, the winds do have a bit of a kick to them - 30km/h plus.

If this all this sounds a little familiar to some Australians, it should.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Ashwednesday1.jpg

The Ash Wednesday fires were a natural disaster that occurred in south-eastern Australia on 16 February 1983. Within twelve hours, more than 180 fires fanned by winds of up to 110 km (68 mph) per hour caused widespread destruction across the states of Victoria and South Australia.[3] Years of severe drought and extreme weather combined to create one of Australia’s worst fire days in a century. [4] The fires remain the worst bushfire disaster in Australian history, claiming 75 lives.

Burned area: 513,979 acres (2,080 km2) in South Australia and 518,921 acres (2,100 km2) in Victoria on one day. 1,284,000 acres (5,196 km2) burnt throughout the 1982/83 season.
Now, I don't think this current heatwave will start anything like that (the winds aren't strong enough), but there are reasons to be cautious.

First - we're still in the middle of summer. If this keeps up we could have a truly catastrophic fire season, we've got off pretty lucky last year.

Second - I'm paranoid about fires, with good reason. (I still have the photos I think and we still have the remains of the old fence). Even as I look out my window now I can see the telltale signs of smoke haze (I shit you not)

To the rest of the aussies here: stay safe this fire season. clean out your gutters.

Last edited by Spark (2009-01-29 00:47:06)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Man that sucks... good luck to you.

its been very hot up here (Toowoomba) too but no where near as bad as you mentioned.

its nice at the moment... its pouring with rain which is good since our dams are at 12%
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

We need to mix this together and find a happy medium.

FFS it almost snowed in Tampa last week. That would have confused a lot of Floridians..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Man that sucks... good luck to you.

its been very hot up here (Toowoomba) too but no where near as bad as you mentioned.

its nice at the moment... its pouring with rain which is good since our dams are at 12%
Not me, the folks down in Vic/SA.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6489|Adelaide, South Australia

It's gotten so bad I've resorted to freezing my shirts and the cold tap is running so hot for so long, I didn't even need the hot tap to do the dishes yesterday.

My ceiling fan isn't positioned over my bed, so I've had to put cushions on the floor of my room and lay on those, just to get to sleep.

And there's no real end in sight, just the temperature lowering by 1 degree a day, if that.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ
Over 40°C it becomes unbearable. I remember one time I was in Cyprus and it was like 48°C.

Couldn't sweat fast enough
ƒ³
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
I went to the beach today (I'm in Sydney if anyone can't read my location..). All the school kids had gone back. It was fucking brilliant, tho I'm a little burnt.. And its pretty cool at the moment.

I feel sorry for you guys. Fuck, especially the folk in Melbourne. 46.1°C is about 115°F for those that are fahrenheit inclined. Jesus..
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
The same is going on here, we had high temperatures during the whole January.  We had an average max. temperature of 34-40.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
37C?
Pfft, It was 45 yesterday, 44 today.
(Thats 113 and 111F to the rest of you.)
Humidity is around 10% though so its not a challenge.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-29 02:54:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
beerface702
+65|6663|las vegas
that is odd weather for oz.

It's about 42F here in Las Vegas, NV

By the time april-may rolls around it will be 105-110

June 110 Avg with highs up to 118

highest ive seen here was 122F Which is like 53C
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6193|Brisneyland
Not too bad in Brisbane at the moment. High 20's I think with some rain. You couldnt pay me to go to Vic or SA at the moment.
Good luck to all the folks down South. I hope you get relief soon.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

We didn't send you criminals there for a holiday you know!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

I was in Canberra over the long weekend for Australia day and it was extremely hot. It's a little better here on the central coast thankfully.

And I was in canberra during the canberra bushfires. Smoke was everywhere all over the capital. When I was in a pool below ground level, you could see that just above the water line there was no smoke but above it was a haze you'd been walking through unknowingly.

Global warming? Yeah, gotta be a myth.

There's close to if not already record temps being set at the moment.

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2009-01-29 03:32:34)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6193|Brisneyland

JahManRed wrote:

We didn't send you criminals there for a holiday you know
You guys say "Criminals" like its a bad thing

Last edited by Burwhale (2009-01-29 03:31:28)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

jesus, i feel terrible for you guys.  i HATE the heat more than anything.  i'm so warm blooded, i sweat like a motherfucker if i even get slightly hot.  at 45F and above i have the chance to sweat.

beerface702 wrote:

dry heat is NOTHING compared to heat with high humidity.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-01-29 05:10:25)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
My brother is over there at the moment... luckily for him he's not a ginger in that heat.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Poe's in Ausland? I thought he works for some big electrical company or something like that, where does he get all this free time
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

haffeysucks wrote:

jesus, i feel terrible for you guys.  i HATE the heat more than anything.  i'm so warm blooded, i sweat like a motherfucker if i even get slightly hot.  at 45F and above i have the chance to sweat.

beerface702 wrote:

dry heat is NOTHING compared to heat with high humidity.
spick ftw

I remember going to Arizone a few years ago and it was like 45c day in day out. luuuurrrrved it
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Mekstizzle wrote:

Poe's in Ausland? I thought he works for some big electrical company or something like that, where does he get all this free time
Another brother... Poe is ginger in case you hadn't noticed!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ

Braddock wrote:

My brother is over there at the moment... luckily for him he's not a ginger in that heat.
Tell your brother I hate him

dammit I wanna go to australia too!

dammit

oh

sorry!

Last edited by oug (2009-01-29 05:38:32)

ƒ³
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command

Spark wrote:

clean out your gutters.[/b]
That's great. Who would have thought cleaning the raingutters would be fire prevention?

They just passed a law here requiring all new homes and commercial building with gutters to have leaf protection. I guess gutters full of dry derbris right at the eaves makes great tinder.

I see dollar signs and just want to say, cha-ching.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

ATG wrote:

Sucked in - we're not going to be buying copper gutter guards. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

beerface702 wrote:

You have to remember that 90% of all Australians live >50Km from the coast. Nevada doesn't even have a coast.

And this disagrees with your 'stats'

June Average: 29 (85)
June Hottest: 38 (100)
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6797|Lithuania
I'd rather have that than -25C that we had here last week...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command

TheAussieReaper wrote:

ATG wrote:

Sucked in - we're not going to be buying copper gutter guards. lol
We do all types of materials.

My younger brother makes more on gutter protection than he does on installing gutters.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard