Wreckognize
+294|6484
http://www.uniformvelocity.com/2009/01/ … r-god.html

First and foremost it is a disbelief in a spirit-creator being who rules the universe. The idea and belief that there exists an unseen, cognitive, non-corporal being that either intercedes in human affairs or abstains, is a neural process which does not operate in my mind. Efforts throughout my life to 'feel the holy spirit' or obtain this 'truth' as the faithful call it, have proven themselves to be frivolous. Though at one time many a concerted effort were made on my part to believe in and rationalize the god-being in which so many seem to have 'faith', it became evident I was not capable.

So, while you may see my disbelief as a rejection of your god, or a denial of what I 'know' in my heart, neither is true. You may preach or cite scripture, neither could ever give me the proof I desire, my disbelief is the result of a default position. It is reasonable to hold the default null posture until sufficient proof is given to convince for a change in status. There does not exist a hatred of 'god' that is assumed by many a believer, it is impossible to hate what one views as non-existent, but I do take issue with the actions carried out in the name of religion and the anthropomorphic attributes placed upon a supposed 'higher being".

Efforts to keep government secular and free of proselytization for god, whether specific or ambiguous, are not a display of hatred for your deity, merely they meant to demand an adherence to the constitution and require that the government remain neutral in the matters of faith. A display of a nativity, a menorah or any other religious symbol on, in or around a taxpayer funded government building or land by default endorses one or some faiths over others or none, immediately negating constitutional demanded neutrality.

Do not take offense at atheism as a rejection of your favorite deity, it is a disbelief in all deities and what I hate is the anthropomorphic characters described by world religions and the acts carried out in their names.

Remember: Given enough time all gods and goddesses die, they are then merely replaced with new mythology.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Pretty much sums up the feelings many people have about religion me thinks ...

*Some don't believe in lack of evidence ...
*Some believe in God but not the bible ...

My stance is the last, my faith is not a very strong one but i think there is a God that values moral, ethics and living your life to the best of your abilities, i don't think Jesus was Gods son and i believe the bible is just a book written for guidance not as actual events ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
Live and let live.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Mine is.
Screw your stupid god.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Varegg
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mine is.
Screw your stupid god.
Mutual respect is a good perk you know
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
True, but I am allowed to reject anyone's god.
If they respect me there won't be a problem.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lol, one thing is rejecting God and other is "screw your stupid God".

Last edited by sergeriver (2009-01-09 02:17:51)

Varegg
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Dilbert_X wrote:

You are indeed allowed to do that, but the way you choose to do so says a lot about you ...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well of course I would be a bit more diplomatic than that in practice.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6510|Gold Coast
People can choose what to believe I guess.

Mine is belief of whatever happens happens for a reason.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

I like the Hindu approach, there are so many gods that it's impossible to find one you won't like, and not everyone knows about each of them. You could tell them you worship whichever hindi god you can come up with and they wouldn't be able to refute it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria
The article's title actually is a bit ambiguous, as one could interpret a very weakened atheism into it, while actually the author does reject all forms of deities.

I see myself as a strong atheist in that context, mainly because I'm a rationalist and humanist.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
God/Atheism threads always suck. Big time.

I thought you assholes learned that by now.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6625|Canada

sergeriver wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lol, one thing is rejecting God and other is "screw your stupid God".
i cant reject something that doesnt exist
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

God/Atheism threads always suck. Big time.

I thought you assholes learned that by now.
So do hookers and good girlfriends, so what's your point? 
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

I reject certainty, either way.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
And I vice versa (in a way that makes sense).
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.

Kmarion wrote:

I reject certainty, either way.
I wish I came up with a statement like that. You summed up one of my core beliefs in 5 words, agnostic 4 life yo

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I reject Iomega.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
Make a choice.  Default position pfffff
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

I believe, It is the God delusion where it talks about different levels of atheism.  Spanning from weak (simply lack of belief) to strong/anti theism (rejection), yet they all come under the umbrella of ''atheism''.  As such I find the word way to generic to enter any kind of theological discussion with someone who simply says, well, am an atheist.

I mean, christians will tend to say, I am a christian, jews say there jews, and muslims, muslim.  Not, ''I am a theist''.  If they did, you will tend to be asked, well, are you a christian?  And so on from there.

Which is why I would like, for instance, strong atheists to say there, anti theist, or something specific, so you can get to the point.  I wouldnt try to have a conversation with a muslim and then say, yeah well jesus isnt the son of God because of this and that.  Be completly pointless even if I could do that.

So I would like people to be a bit less vague when they use the word.
Zefar
+116|6648|Sweden
I think there are 3 types of Atheist.

1: Who knows there is no god due to the evidence. Or well strictly says there is no god as such thing is really really silly. (I'm in this one)

2: Don't believe the Gods of any of the religions but can accept a god IF he decide to show up.

3: Just believe the Gods are false until they got more proof because for the moment Atheist are leading.

Since I just don't buy the whole God thingy because IF there was a God he damn well wouldn't be having such huge problems of getting facts right in an 300 to 600 paged book. He supposedly made the entire earth and the universe but that pesky book is just to much for him.
I also don't buy the "It's a guiding book" thing because I PRETTY sure he would say that.

Not to mention this being wouldn't be anywhere to be found. I know the space is large but something with enough power to create should be able to pop up somewhere.
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6421|My room

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I like the Hindu approach, there are so many gods that it's impossible to find one you won't like, and not everyone knows about each of them. You could tell them you worship whichever hindi god you can come up with and they wouldn't be able to refute it.
Hinduism has less extremists than other religions, too (it's hard to find more than ten Hindus who agree which god is the best)
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

Zefar wrote:

Since I just don't buy the whole God thingy because IF there was a God he damn well wouldn't be having such huge problems of getting facts right in an 300 to 600 paged book.
Even if God did exist, he didnt write the bible.  Knowone claims he wrote the bible either.  It's the ''inspired word of God''.  The only writting, he did, was dicate the 10commandments to moses (I believe there was also something to do with solomen).  That is the extent of his writing if we assume there is a God.

It isnt supposed to be a scientific work either.  It was written to explain spiritual principles, the nature of mankind, the nature of God, and how people can have a personal relationship with God.

However it did get some scientific ideas correct.  For instance, light is in motion:

"What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside?" (Job 38:19)
Giving the idea of a direction, and thus travel.  Theres plenty of examples, that even I as a sort of, ''default'' atheist could give you.

Zefar wrote:

He supposedly made the entire earth and the universe but that pesky book is just to much for him.
I also don't buy the "It's a guiding book" thing because I PRETTY sure he would say that.
Half the alleged contradictions are a myth.  Second part is speculation surely?

Zefar wrote:

Not to mention this being wouldn't be anywhere to be found. I know the space is large but something with enough power to create should be able to pop up somewhere.
Within visible light?  I kind of agree.  You would of thought God would show himself, since, if he appeared in the sky, and said, haw straighten up and fly right you cunts, me thinks a lot of the worlds problems would be solved.

Although, from there, the christians, jews and muslims would all argue about God favouring them so I wouldnt hold my breath.  Or claim it was from the devil if it didnt depict there vision of God.

However, if there is a God, and we are supposedly in ''the end times'' revelation says a bunch of false messiahs will start showing up soon, so heres hoping

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2009-01-09 17:40:19)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

Zefar wrote:

I think there are 3 types of Atheist.

1: Who knows there is no god due to the evidence. Or well strictly says there is no god as such thing is really really silly. (I'm in this one)

2: Don't believe the Gods of any of the religions but can accept a god IF he decide to show up.

3: Just believe the Gods are false until they got more proof because for the moment Atheist are leading.

Since I just don't buy the whole God thingy because IF there was a God he damn well wouldn't be having such huge problems of getting facts right in an 300 to 600 paged book. He supposedly made the entire earth and the universe but that pesky book is just to much for him.

Any Rational person would be in boat 2, are you saying if a 'god' did how up with evidence you would still reject it as silly? To my knowledge and all the evidence points to there being no God, but to reject something once there is evidence is just as stupid as believing in something with no evidence.

Also "God' does not refer only to the holy trinity but encompasses all gods from Ra to Zeus, Jupiter, Thor, Shangdi, Shiva, to the other thousands of Gods of the thousands of Cultures to have ever existed.

The bible was not written by God but is split into two different sections. The old testament which is a collection of folk tales passed down from generation to generation of events which happened in the past with the usual exaggerations and inaccuracies seen in all story telling for dramatic effect. And the new testament, which was a small collection of 'Gospels' written by many people about the life of the most successful religious figure to have lived around Anno Domini also exaggerated for dramatic effect and then chosen by the Church around the 4th century to control the populous and make them dependent on the church to give them power (and money).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard