Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6359|uk

We've got a few laptops and PC's dotted around the house, and I'd love to be able to watch TV on them.

I don't really fancy going down the route of individual tuner cards in each machine as...
  • Will end up been quite pricey
  • Dongles + Laptops don't mix

A hot idea would be to have some sort of Network Tuner Card- and I've found some, such as the HAVA products, however they only allow one channel to be broadcast at the same time- I want many machines, viewing many channels, at the same time.

Any ideas?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

1. Get a couple of TV tuners and stick them in a stationary computer.
2. Stream.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
utchin
+8|5921
As far as i am aware as i have tried doing this aswell, most ways of doing this only broadcast the channel being displayed on the main box, IE the transmitter.

The only way to view multiple channels from diffrent places is... *think* to get multiple boardcasing boxes and get your house set up with extra cables.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6817|NÃ¥rvei

Buy a mediastreamer, Popcorn is a bit buggy but the new TViX is
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
prototype
+52|6318
just have all the stuff you wanna watch on an external HDD and hook it up to the laptop you wanna use

https://cdnll-0.liveleak.com/u/thumbs/2008/Dec/3/836136_80_avatar.jpg
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
(to the ex)STREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM!

As other's have said, you need a media streamer - either using a spare PC, or a stand-alone box.

Google 'media streaming' or 'media streamer'...
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6359|uk

Ive looked at various types of media streamer, but im struggling to find one which allows multiple pcs to view different channels....
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5724|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Get a spare computer with a billion PCI ports in it, buy some Dual-tuner TV cards(2 separate channels at once)

Get a program called Beyond TV + Link, install the link software on the "Server" then install BeyondTV on all the other computers.

Then spend 3 hours configuring everything to work well.

You'd also want to look into upgrading to Gigabit networking, at least until your router, streaming multiple channels at once through a 100mb connection don't work too well.

So basically, It's possible, but costs fucktonnes of money($150 for each license of BTV if I remember correct) and is very DIY and tech oriented.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5696|Notts, UK

TheDonkey wrote:

So basically, It's possible, but costs fucktonnes of money($150 for each license of BTV if I remember correct) and is very DIY and tech oriented.
all software is free

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard