notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6747|The United Center
Yeah, I used to be one of the people who made fun of the game.  I used to be one of the ones who pretty much only played FPS games or, sporadically, RTS.  I play consoles, which aren't as conducive to RPGs as PCs are.

But I digress.

Anyway, I gave WoW a try a few months ago and I thought it was the most boring thing ever.  I killed boars for about four hours and then quit.

A couple weeks ago a friend wanted me to try again because she was looking for someone to play with.  So I did.  And I actually played the game instead of just sitting outside of a house killing some defenseless animal.  And now I'm addicted.

While WoW is repetitive (yeah, basically all it is is point and click), the storyline is actually quite good.  The quests are all pretty entertaining and they give you reasons to explore the world, meet up with other people, and kill everything from cute little level one rabbits to whatever the hell the monsters are that kill me when I look at them.

But really, it's not any worse than a game like BF2.  I spent over 1000 hours playing BF2.  I can't count how many times I played Karkand and rushed the hotel just to die.  That was just as repetitive, if not moreso, than WoW.  Or playing as a medic.  Or hell, even flying in a helicopter.  And basically, all that is is point and click also.  But I loved BF2.

So while I'm somewhat embarrassed to be all "yeah, I play WoW", it actually is an incredibly entertaining game.  While there were times in BF2 when I'd get annoyed because I thought someone was hacking...or because I kept getting killed by the same guy in a jet...in WoW there isn't anything like that.  If you can't get past a part, go do something else, level up, come back, and destroy whatever was holding you back before.

It's an incredibly gratifying game.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
And yeah, I know, World of Warcraft sucks.  There, I said it for you.  So no need to come in here and say it.  If you're not going to contribute, then don't post at all, lest you want your post to be deleted.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5595
I play it too although not so much anymore, eventually it gets boring it did for me anyways
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6439|King Of The Islands

ThomasMorgan wrote:

And yeah, I know, World of Warcraft sucks.  There, I said it for you.  So no need to come in here and say it.  If you're not going to contribute, then don't post at all, lest you want your post to be deleted.
Aww.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

ThomasMorgan wrote:

And yeah, I know, World of Warcraft sucks.  There, I said it for you.  So no need to come in here and say it.  If you're not going to contribute, then don't post at all, lest you want your post to be deleted. This thread only for people who like WoW.
Fixed.

I don't think it's a bad game. Seemed decent enough in the beta...just not worth however much a month to play unless you're actually playing it with someone you know.

Me, from trying both out, I liked EQ2 better, and NWN more.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|NÃ¥rvei

Don't like it myself but do appriciate that others do ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
WoW is pretty much the worse thing to happen to PC gaming ever and I hope the whole MMO genre dies like point and clicks.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5595

Fat_Swinub wrote:

WoW is pretty much the worse thing to happen to PC gaming ever and I hope the whole MMO genre dies like point and clicks.

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
Yeah let's all circle jerk about how great WoW is. If anyone says otherwise I'm gonna delete their post because I can't handle people giving negative opinions.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5595

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Yeah let's all circle jerk about how great WoW is. If anyone says otherwise I'm gonna delete their post because I can't handle people giving negative opinions.
Theirs a difference between disagreeing respectfully see Varegg, and disagreeing just to be a bellend see you.

Last edited by ColCarnage (2009-01-07 06:09:07)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
Fine I respect your choice of video game to play. Can I give an opinion now?
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5595

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Fine I respect your choice of video game to play. Can I give an opinion now?
I think you have already made your opinion know or am I mistaken, I honestly don't know why I am arguing about this I haven't even played the game in the past 2 months lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Fat_Swinub wrote:

[...]I hope the whole MMO genre dies like point and clicks.
You're starting an entirely different brush war there. I actually liked Legend's point & clicks and played tons of Gabriel Knight (still want a 4th). And Myst's sales certainly weren't poor, so I guess it's just you and all the other genre snobs.

And no, you're not going to see the MMO genre collapse. People like the spontaneity of random encounters and fights with other players far too much.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-01-07 06:25:42)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
Some point and clicks are good but it's like hunting for gems in the desert. The number of really boring ones outnumbered the tolerable or even fun ones. And yeah I don't think MMOs are ever going to collapse, they make way too much money and are far easier and less risky to make than original titles but that doesn't stop me wanting it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Some point and clicks are good but it's like hunting for gems in the desert. The number of really boring ones outnumbered the tolerable or even fun ones. And yeah I don't think MMOs are ever going to collapse, they make way too much money and are far easier and less risky to make than original titles but that doesn't stop me wanting it.
MMO's are just as risky for developers. If it fails, your company could fold. Drop support for people who actually have been paying your monthly fee, and their characters, gametime and your reputation are all flushed at once.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
Fat_Swinub, are you illiterate or just dumb?
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
Same thing happens for regular games. If the game fails you lose money on it. With MMOs because the majority of them are subscription based (or like guild wars have about 3 expansions) they see a good chunk of money from that unlike most games which is a one-time purchase.

Edit:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

lol

Last edited by Fat_Swinub (2009-01-07 06:46:37)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6650
TMo say it isn't so
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Same thing happens for regular games. If the game fails you lose money on it. With MMOs because the majority of them are subscription based (or like guild wars have about 3 expansions) they see a good chunk of money from that unlike most games which is a one-time purchase.

Edit:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

lol
So both.  Got it.

This thread was made because WoW actually isn't as bad as I had originally thought, not about how you think MMORPGs are the devil and they should all be abolished.  Wanna try staying on topic now?
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
"i like wow, discuss"
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

TMo say it isn't so
It's so.

When playing with friends, it's actually a lot of fun.  Plus, it's nice that I can toss a pizza in the oven while I play and when it's done, I can go take it out without worrying about anything.  In a game like BF2 if you walk away for a few seconds, you'll most likely die.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Fat_Swinub wrote:

"i like wow, discuss"
Keep it up and it'll be a tempban.  This is your warning.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
Seriously.  Anytime you see a thread about WoW, do you just go in it and start shitting all over the place?  Because that's all your verbal diarrhea really is.

Unnamednewbie and Varegg were both able to respond with their opinions without making asses of themselves.  Now either you do the same or don't post at all.  Got it?  Got it.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6575|London
I'm sure it's a good game. It must be good for millions of people to sink millions of hours into it.

There are 3 main reasons why WoW is hated:

1) WoW players have a rep for being no-life-20-hour-gaming-marathon-freaks. Stories about people dropping out of college or losing all their friends to play WoW don't help. The subscription charge also means that people are compelled to play to get their monies worth.

2) WoW isn't known for it's PvP. It's known for raids against AI. Spending large portions of your life on anything can be justified by 'competition'. Top CS players practice for hours and hours, yet few internerds will rip on them because they 'pwn'.

3) It has elves and dwarves and shit. Let's be honest. At school the kids who were least cool were the ones who played d&d.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5681
I tried it 2 different times; I lasted less than 5 minutes each time. Most boring, retarded, gay game I've ever played. I see how some people could enjoy it, but I would rather do nothing than play that shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard