Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255

also i find the whole "YA" thing so hilarious. a whole crock-shit industry of amateur writers futzing the worst sort of prose. if it wasn't for ebooks and the 'democratization' of publishing, none of this shit would ever get out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

also i find the whole "YA" thing so hilarious. a whole crock-shit industry of amateur writers futzing the worst sort of prose. if it wasn't for ebooks and the 'democratization' of publishing, none of this shit would ever get out.
You never read any R L Stein as a kid?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
R L Stine is children's literature. i read him when i was about 8. not "young adult". holy shit what sort of reading age did you have by the time you hit 18?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I was reading at a college level, albeit with less understanding, when I was 8. I just remember the cheerleader series being popular in 6th grade.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
you get graded on a college level? in our schools/test the maximum 'reading age' that is figured out is 15. like, the graph stops there. and obviously by the time you are 15, the educational system isn't really interested in your 'reading age', because you should, well, be actually using reading as second-nature in your everyday education. seems weird the american metric would go to 'college age' for an 8 year old. i remember being tested in the lower-grades of 'elementary' school and basically being told i was over the limit of the scale (age 15), at which point i was never tested again. mind you, i was reading dickens and orwell by my double-digits, not fucking r.l. stine. it is bizarre to me that you'd cite him as an example of "young adult" fiction. to me young adult fiction marks an age-band even older than stuff like harry potter, twilight etc, which is even more mature than goosebumps.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I read a lot of non-fiction when I was in elementary school, mostly war history stuff because it's what my dad read. I added in sci-fi/fantasy around 12 or so. By the time I took the SATs I was in the 98th percentile for verbal skills
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
where did it all go wrong?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
the army
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I basically view anything that says it's young adult literature as children's literature. I think YA is an unnecessary distinction and claims too many titles  as YA fiction that are actually passable as 'fiction'-fiction, like some of the books described here: Your Favorites: 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels.

Because I can sure think back to a lot of 'YA' classmates who had the patience to endure the Lord of the Rings and Dune.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Even though I know it wasn't originally, 'YA lit' as a term sounds like something used for the benefit of helicopter parents who don't really read themselves, and aren't sure they want to expose their precious 8yo's to 'the Hobbit' in case it has scary scenes. I really don't think we needed the additional category to distinguish between 'Harry Potter' and 'Goodnight Moon.' What should we have next in bookstores? 'Blasphemous literature' sections? It would be sure to go down great in the American south.

/petpeeve rant
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
I skipped over the "Young Adult" phase of reading simply because I was more interested in delving into "classic" works of literature rather than some new book "targeted" at my age bracket. It struck me as odd how many people (let's be honest, girls) were still reading shit like The Hunger Games in college.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
i was in one of the most competitive-entry literature courses in the country (top10 entry selectivity), and there were still girls talking about twilight and hunger games in between lectures. seems to be a crutch that a whole generation are into. load of shite. i even heard about a girl that tried to do an essay on game of thrones. her proposal was rejected.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i even heard about a girl that tried to do an essay on game of thrones.
Really? For college lit? I'd be tempted to take that with a grain of salt. It would be like submitting Indian in the Cupboard for a 12th grade report.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
some people get really 'smart' ideas to apply some abstruse theoretical framework to 'pop' literature and do a sort of "let's put this cultural artefact under the analytical microscope" type thing. unfortunately those people are either snobby wise-asses who want to put popular books through the 'mass culture sucks!' mill (est. 1750ad), or they're just misguided. those proposals mostly get rejected though because obviously to do a college level paper you need at least 2 members of staff who are familiar with the material and can assess it to a high-level. i don't think many tenured profs are spending their leisure time reading GoT.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

the army
It really did stunt my intellectual growth for a while. Bro conversation was about as deep as it ever got.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
i'm so glad i only hang around with middle-upper class people with an average of 1.75 degrees. having a girlfriend with similar academic interests and fine breeding is great, too. it means my entire social life and every social interaction (except for this blasted forum) is with people of fine mind and wit. coming here is kinda like going to the park to feed the ducks. you fucking twonks.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6743|London

ur the duck in the relationship you total plonker
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
and this guy. cum schooler.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6743|London

that's rich coming from a guy readin a big book about cum
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
only book available in the library with pics of your mom in
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm reading Skagboys now and, though you're not Scottish, I keep reading the words you two write in a Scottish accent in my head.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
dauntless is the native scouser, i don't abuse the english language.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Jay wrote:

I'm reading Skagboys now and, though you're not Scottish, I keep reading the words you two write in a Scottish accent in my head.
https://i.imgur.com/oKEiWUL.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Wtf is a scouser? Its the only word i havent understood
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass it is to read phonetic Scottish
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard