Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5371|London, England
Currently finishing up a biography on Thomas Jefferson titled "A Life" by Willard Sterne Randall. This is my second attempt at a biography of this man after a failed attempt with Fawn Brodie's book, which was terrible. I find the writing to be fantastic and he does a very good job of setting the historical background and the political machinations that were taking place during this time period. He also does a fantastic job selecting from Jefferson's works and picks memorable and relevant quotes to sprinkle throughout the work. If you have any interest in reading up on our, in my opinion, most important Founding Father this is the work I recommend.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7129FSD19ML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Jefferson- … amp;sr=8-1
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

The Housing Problem by Engles. More Marxist BS for my Philosophy class.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6485|Kakanien
Karl-Heinz Frieser, Blitzkrieg-Legende. Der Westfeldzug 1940 (The Blitzkrieg Legend. The 1940 Campaign in the West)

probably the best book on the the westfeldzug 1940

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AQVYNNP5L._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by cl4u53w1t2 (2009-11-04 15:37:25)

cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6485|Kakanien
Johannes Hürter, Hitlers Heerführer. Die deutschen Oberbefehlshaber im Krieg gegen die Sowjetunion 1941/42 (Hitler's military leaders. The german supreme commanders in the soviet-german war 1941/42)

https://blog.periskop.info/attach/1/2735528062.jpg

great!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6687|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's a lot of snobbery in writing.
Hardy and Dickens are 'well-written', apparently, but dreary as hell.
Wilbur Smith is gripping but low-brow english, and his books all have basically the same plot.
I couldn't give a toss, I'll read what I enjoy reading.

What irks me is technical stuff which is badly written, tiring to read and ambiguous.
'Pistolsmithing' By George C Nonte is an interesting read for example.
I try to avoid literature written in the age when authors were paid by the word. I don't enjoy reading other peoples bullshit. Never write two words where one will suffice.
orwell would love you.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's a lot of snobbery in writing.
Hardy and Dickens are 'well-written', apparently, but dreary as hell.
Wilbur Smith is gripping but low-brow english, and his books all have basically the same plot.
I couldn't give a toss, I'll read what I enjoy reading.

What irks me is technical stuff which is badly written, tiring to read and ambiguous.
'Pistolsmithing' By George C Nonte is an interesting read for example.
I try to avoid literature written in the age when authors were paid by the word. I don't enjoy reading other peoples bullshit. Never write two words where one will suffice.
orwell would love you.
No, I'm not suggesting Newspeak. I don't enjoy reading overly flowery prose. The plots of many of the books written in that age are incomparable but the books themselves trend toward boring just based on the excessive wordplay used. Austen and Dickens are marred in my eyes because of the age they wrote in.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483
he's talking about orwell as a literary critic... not 1984. orwell doctrinally said that good english was terse and laconic, rather than flowery and flamboyant. i think it was in one of his essays on english literature as a discipline, or perhaps mentioned in one of his political-theory pieces.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

he's talking about orwell as a literary critic... not 1984. orwell doctrinally said that good english was terse and laconic, rather than flowery and flamboyant. i think it was in one of his essays on english literature as a discipline, or perhaps mentioned in one of his political-theory pieces.
"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do." - Thomas Jefferson

Every single paper I've written in various English classes has always returned to me labeled 'succinct' because when assigned a ten page paper I'll turn in a 5 page paper with all the bs cut out. It's why I could never become a lawyer, they seem to feel that ten words are needed where one will do.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729

Uzique wrote:

Think the essay was called Politics and the English Language.

Well Galt its more about being clear and precise in your language, and use an Anglo originated word instead of a foreign one. Its just people seem to be "good" speakers when they say shit no one knows what the hell it is about. I read your work on Iraq John and it is very well written.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Think the essay was called Politics and the English Language.

Well Galt its more about being clear and precise in your language, and use an Anglo originated word instead of a foreign one. Its just people seem to be "good" speakers when they say shit no one knows what the hell it is about. I read your work on Iraq John and it is very well written.
My professor said it reminded him of Hemingway's writing style I'm not arrogant enough to agree with him.

While I agree to a certain extent about using simple words... I think our language has been dumbed down over time to the point of it being infantile. I have a rather large vocabulary and if I send someone to their dictionary every once in a while it doesn't hurt them. To do it just to show off is immature and there are a lot of writers that fall into that category.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-05 09:18:17)

-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6687|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

orwell would love you.
No, I'm not suggesting Newspeak. I don't enjoy reading overly flowery prose. The plots of many of the books written in that age are incomparable but the books themselves trend toward boring just based on the excessive wordplay used. Austen and Dickens are marred in my eyes because of the age they wrote in.
I meant as a literary critic as zeek suggested.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

I have not here been considering the literary use of language, but merely language as an instrument for expressing and not for concealing or preventing thought. Stuart Chase and others have come near to claiming that all abstract words are meaningless, and have used this as a pretext for advocating a kind of political quietism. Since you don't know what Fascism is, how can you struggle against Fascism? One need not swallow such absurdities as this, but one ought to recognize that the present political chaos is connected with the decay of language, and that one can probably bring about some improvement by starting at the verbal end. If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself. Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one's own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase -- some jackboot, Achilles' heel, hotbed, melting pot, acid test, veritable inferno, or other lump of verbal refuse -- into the dustbin, where it belongs.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

orwell would love you.

I have not here been considering the literary use of language, but merely language as an instrument for expressing and not for concealing or preventing thought. Stuart Chase and others have come near to claiming that all abstract words are meaningless, and have used this as a pretext for advocating a kind of political quietism. Since you don't know what Fascism is, how can you struggle against Fascism? One need not swallow such absurdities as this, but one ought to recognize that the present political chaos is connected with the decay of language, and that one can probably bring about some improvement by starting at the verbal end. If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself. Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one's own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase -- some jackboot, Achilles' heel, hotbed, melting pot, acid test, veritable inferno, or other lump of verbal refuse -- into the dustbin, where it belongs.
Very very good read on the degradation of English and how to avoid "bad" writing.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

orwell would love you.

Sounds very close to what I was trying to say
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6118|eXtreme to the maX

John G@lt wrote:

Every single paper I've written in various English classes has always returned to me labeled 'succinct' because when assigned a ten page paper I'll turn in a 5 page paper with all the bs cut out.
At school we had to do a weekly exercise, writing a complete page of text on something dumb, like eating an apple, or tying a shoelace.
The teacher who used to set that turned out to be a paedo, figures I guess.
Don't trust verbose nonces, punch them in the face, its the right thing to do.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483
François Rabelais - The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel

wowow. overlooked a brilliant classic here.

read a brilliant piece of structuralist criticism on rabelais' complete work by mikhail bakhtin and knew i had to read the original source material. really great grotesque realism. bakhtin's work on the cultural significance and rhetoric of the work really elucidated the old confounding renaissance ideas into a clearer light. really enjoyed it, even though i shouldnt really be spending the time on such distractions...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

jord
+2,382|6691|The North, beyond the wall.
Might get "The Circuit", got quite good reviews, anyone read it?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

rabelais isn't verbose or wordy at all. really easy to read - hilarious, too. very carnivalesque.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wasn't talking about Rabelais.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483
im sorry that terms such as 'structuralism' confound you.

i dont quite understand your persona here... are you an intellectual D&ST regular or a feigned-dumbass with a contempt for anything intelligent? make your mind up. the reasons for reading and recommendation of the book is for fairly straight-forward reasons.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
read a brilliant piece of structuralist criticism on rabelais' complete work by mikhail bakhtin and knew i had to read the original source material. really great grotesque realism. bakhtin's work on the cultural significance and rhetoric of the work really elucidated the old confounding renaissance ideas into a clearer light. really enjoyed it, even though i shouldnt really be spending the time on such distractions...
Got it yet?
the reasons for reading and recommendation of the book is for fairly straight-forward reasons.
I see English is not your first language.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483
there's a certain amount of confusion in calling my posts 'verbose' at one moment and then ridiculing my poorly-thought english afterwards.

it's not that english isnt my first language, it's that i cant be bothered to thoughtfully reply to someone with such a lack of logic in their own pathetic jibes. you're clearly too intelligent to be intimidated by verbosity - let alone to find my basic-posts as examples of circumlocution - so why are you making such a weak criticism?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

there's a certain amount of confusion in calling my posts 'verbose' at one moment and then ridiculing my poorly-thought english afterwards.

it's not that english isnt my first language, it's that i cant be bothered to thoughtfully reply to someone with such a lack of logic in their own pathetic jibes. you're clearly too intelligent to be intimidated by verbosity - let alone to find my basic-posts as examples of circumlocution - so why are you making such a weak criticism?
Because he's a troll. It's what he does.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483
are you shitting me... if that's the self-fancied image, then i must say he's the worst troll on this forum.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6745|St. Andrews / Oslo

Harry Potter and the Tree of Nothing
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard