Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6618|Little Bentcock

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I like fantasy, not a huge fan of sci fi novels, which is strange as I enjoy sci fi movies/games.

am I strange?
Fantasy used to encompass sci-fi before publishers created a new category, so a lot of the older books I have still bear the fantasy categorization. To me, a lot of sci-fi novels still tend to read like fantasy, so it still applies...

Point being, do you mean you hate hard sci-fi or all sci-fi?
I don't know what hard sci-fi is. I don't know, maybe I have read some bad titles. I can remember when I was in primary school reading some star wars books and enjoying it.

I just can't get into them I guess, where as I find fantasy really easy to create in my mind. Swords and horses and shit. I don't get as immersed in the sci fi.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I don't have a problem with sci fi in and of itself. Hard sci fi is the one on my shit list. What I like about Sci Fi is that you have much more latitude to create stories, settings, and characters. Some of my favorite stuff is set in a quasi sci fiish future. My all time favorite novel Infinite Jest is set in a future where there is unlimited energy and a North American union. It is not hard sci fi but uses some sci fi elements to create a very good story and setting. I think where sci fi fails is when it starts to focus on the tech side instead of developing good story. Talking about how lasers work is just filler.

Fantasy on the other hand... Fucking elves man.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Hard science fiction doesn't have to be just about the tech. It can mean that your story is kept within the confines of theoretical science, but still primarily focused on story.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

You are going to have to pick one of those. You are lucky if you get one working.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Wait, are you saying that a book can't be successful or good if it doesn't have fantastical elements, or??
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I'm saying that keeping something with the confines of theoretical science and having that as a selling point closes off opportunity in the story when it shouldn't be like that for sci fi. Sci fi is supposed to open opportunity to explain the experience of people using elements not possible within the world we live in. The story limits itself by attempting to get it by the book when it comes to science. If you can make an interesting universe why shackle it with the laws of reality?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

If you haven't already, read Enders Game.

The movie is coming out soon and I really doubt will do the book justice.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

I'm saying that keeping something with the confines of theoretical science and having that as a selling point closes off opportunity in the story when it shouldn't be like that for sci fi. Sci fi is supposed to open opportunity to explain the experience of people using elements not possible within the world we live in. The story limits itself by attempting to get it by the book when it comes to science. If you can make an interesting universe why shackle it with the laws of reality?
But if the story is about the characters, what does it matter what the backdrop is? It won't matter if you're keeping it within the confines of modern science, speculative science or fantastical science. It's all just world building. Hard sci-fi isn't restricted to fictitious tech manuals.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

Sci fi is supposed to open opportunity to explain the experience of people using elements not possible within the world we live in.
Thats scifi fantasy really

The story limits itself by attempting to get it by the book when it comes to science. If you can make an interesting universe why shackle it with the laws of reality?
Thats the idea, scifi basically asks the question: "What if X reasonably plausible scientific/technological advance were made"
Changing the laws of physics doesn't really come into it.

'Character-based' scifi is just space-drama.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-02 03:39:17)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

What about character-based sci-fi that doesn't take place in space? "Hard" sci-fi and "soft" sci-fi are just two convenient, fuzzy subcategories for sci-fi, which used to all fall under the umbrella of fantasy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Scifi has some basis in reality, fantasy basically doesn't.
Scifi doesn't really fall under the umbrella of fantasy IMO.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Macbeth wrote:

I don't have a problem with sci fi in and of itself. Hard sci fi is the one on my shit list. What I like about Sci Fi is that you have much more latitude to create stories, settings, and characters. Some of my favorite stuff is set in a quasi sci fiish future. My all time favorite novel Infinite Jest is set in a future where there is unlimited energy and a North American union. It is not hard sci fi but uses some sci fi elements to create a very good story and setting. I think where sci fi fails is when it starts to focus on the tech side instead of developing good story. Talking about how lasers work is just filler.

Fantasy on the other hand... Fucking elves man.
nothing about infinite jest is "sci fi". jesus you are a fucking moron. it has magical realist and absurdist parts, but not "sci-fi". to call infinite jest a sci-fi book is fucking moronic. not everything that is set in the future is 'sci-fi'. next you'll be calling it a "dystopian novel".
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sorry if you're out of your depth.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yay I'm right again

Wiki wrote:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction with imaginative but more or less plausible content such as settings in the future, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, aliens, and paranormal abilities. Exploring the consequences of scientific innovations is one purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[1] Science fiction has been used by authors as a device to discuss philosophical ideas such as identity, desire, morality, and social structure.

Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures.[2] It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

Wiki wrote:

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic and magical creatures are common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three, all of which are subgenres of speculative fiction.
Yay me.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
i would say that science-fiction is concerned with future speculation, all based roundly in a sort of post-rational, post-technological age. sci-fi is fantastical, but it's not 'fantasy' in that it's already restricted in its speculative choices by the imagining of a world that is already 'post-technology' and 'post-science'. fantasy is literally a blank slate, a complete tabula rasa - it doesn't even need to involve humans, or anything like a human earth origin. most sci-fi tends to at least reference 'the real world', as it is now, or as it was being wrote from, even if only as a distant reference or foregrounding.

much fantasy though, can also be (and is in many cases) just a thin allegory of 'reality'. you guys were talking about sci-fi as if sci-fi treats all the hard themes and 'issues' and tries to pose questions about fundamental science/rationality, i.e. reality. fantasy can do that too, even if all its characters are elves and the world is some fantasy middle-earth. allegory and metaphor work just as powerfully in the fantasy genre to represent and comment on 'reality' as any sci-fi book that spends a fifth of its pages detailing technology.

but yeah, "out of my depth". it's not like i didn't have one of the most eminent sci-fi writers of the current era as my PERSONAL TUTOR for two years, or anything.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Scifi is based in a 'post-technological age'?
Considering you're a lit nerd is surprising you get the simplest definitions wrong.

Scifi doesn't come under the umbrella of fantasy.

OK, lets move on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-02 06:08:47)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, lets move on.
No. Were you reading this thread at all? Before science-fiction even existed as a term, books that are now considered science-fiction were called fantasy. Hard science-fiction came into being as a further categorization convenience.

e: Just to mix things up, if sci-fi isn't a skin for fantasy, then what would you call a sci-fi book with elves and trolls and shit?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Dilbert_X wrote:

Considering you're a lit nerd is surprising you get the simplest definitions wrong.

OK, lets move on.
post-technology as in, after the advent of technology. as in, in a world irredeemably changed/altered by the presence of technology. not 'in an age where technology no longer exists'.

jesus christ learn to fucking read. 'post-modern' doesn't mean "where the modern doesn't exist anymore".

post-enlightenment doesn't mean "back to barbarism".

stop making stupid snide comments. you look dumb.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-02 06:28:15)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
also i never said sci-fi came under the umbrella of fantasy. i said they are both forms of speculative writing. all i was saying is that your distinctions between sci-fi/fantasy, especially the stuff you were saying about dealing with 'issues', is not quite right.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6618|Little Bentcock
ANy good fantasy novels/series out there? Preferably with not too much magic. Some is ok.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Adams_BJ wrote:

ANy good fantasy novels/series out there? Preferably with not too much magic. Some is ok.
the bible
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Get real, the bible had level 99 spells with perfect rolls.

I'll point out a few authors that immediately come to mind: Ursula K. Le Guin, C.J. Cherryh, Robin Hobb.

Also consider historical fiction.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, lets move on.
post-technology as in, after the advent of technology. as in, in a world irredeemably changed/altered by the presence of technology. not 'in an age where technology no longer exists'.

jesus christ learn to fucking read. 'post-modern' doesn't mean "where the modern doesn't exist anymore".

post-enlightenment doesn't mean "back to barbarism".

stop making stupid snide comments. you look dumb.
Do you mean Post-Industrial?

'Post-Technological' could mean anything from the first knapped flint onwards.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard