Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
Dilbert: 158 words
Uzique: 1,154 words

Successful troll is successful.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4245
uzique's typing speed: 145wpm.

< 10 minutes spent.

not successful, considering how stupid dilbert made himself look.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Copy and pasting post into a word document to make a shallow point means they are both the real winners here.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4245
i'd laugh and agree with your point, but dilbert really was on exemplary form here.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

it's funny the lengths you will go to pointlessly waste your time getting angry and blowing hot air at me. ANY OTHER DAY you would be telling me "all art is subjective", so i have to accept people's (perhaps ill-formed or not justified at all) opinions on xyz. and yet here i am, saying i've read quite a bit, and i simply don't like something (read: not saying the genre itself is trash; just my personal preference can quite comfortably leave it) and you are getting MAJOR BUTTHURT. these are the ends you will go to to be indignant and prissy with me. it's quite romantic, in a way: you'll bend over backwards and contradict everything you've said in the past, just so you can command my attention for this fleeting moment of contact. it's okay dilbert, i am uploading a PNG of my penis right now, as we speak. soon you will be joined in holy matrimony. inner peace, at last. jesus h christ.
Not really, I've generally said each to their own on opinions of subjects which can only be evaluated subjectively, and your opinion is no more valid than, say, Sh1fty's.
If you want to ram your opinion down everyone elses throat, and that seems to be your thing, go right ahead.

If you want to dismiss an entire genre by saying you 'hate' it thats your prerogative, if you choose not to explain your reasoning thats not a problem.

I would say that if you're going to evaluate SF according to the quality of the prose then you're really missing the point in spectacular fashion, really it would be like dismissing the Encyclopedia Britannica because it was lacking on metaphysical imagery.
I doubt the central objective of SF writers is to impress hipster academics with oh-so-clever wordplay, just as people who read fantasy are not too interested in cute historical references.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4245
you are a retard.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Was reading some Eric Hobsbawm. He mentioned Bel Ami when talking about the new chances for advancement that the dual revolutions of the 18th century opened up. I was really proud of myself for I understanding that reference since I have read Maupassant. This must be how jay feels whenever any subject comes up.

I am going to buy Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human. As you can see the book is really uplifting and right up my alley.
Portraying himself as a failure, the protagonist of Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human narrates a seemingly normal life even while he feels himself incapable of understanding human beings. Oba Yozo's attempts to reconcile himself to the world around him begin in early childhood, continue through high school, where he becomes a "clown" to mask his alienation, and eventually lead to a failed suicide attempt as an adult. Without sentimentality, he records the casual cruelties of life and its fleeting moments of human connection and tenderness.
I finished his other book The Setting Sun a few weeks ago. He is a really uplifting author.
Set in the early postwar years, it probes the destructive effects of war and the transition from a feudal Japan to an industrial society.
Did the whole thing in one sitting. I was assigned it for a class about Death in Japan and Western civilization.

I really like the author. He is about as far into Japanese/Asian literature I really am comfortable going into. I don't want to become that guy. You know the American who buys anime T-shirts and can describe the tenets of Shinto. I have to stay kinda cool the next time I go to Japan.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

I will keep you all updated. Subscribe to my twitter.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

#yolo
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6314|Graz, Austria
I ordered these today:
2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: Odyssey Two
2061: Odyssey Three
3001: The Final Odyssey
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

I liked 2061 and 3001 far more than the Amazon reviews seem to indicate is average for the books.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6613|Little Bentcock
I like fantasy, not a huge fan of sci fi novels, which is strange as I enjoy sci fi movies/games.

am I strange?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Oh look at the little hobbits
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Suggest me some novellas you would think I would like
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Read the Foundation series by Asimov.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4245

Macbeth wrote:

Suggest me some novellas you would think I would like
camus, chekhov, carver, conrad.

4 c's who are pretty masterful at the novella form.

i like nabokov's shorter pieces, too. pale fire is great. i find with longer-length works his posturing and preening can get a little tiresome. anything less than, say, 200 pages, and his over-the-top peacockish attitude stays incisive and amusing.
Wreckognize
+294|6476
Any love for Haruki Murakami?  A friend of mine turned me on to his novels and he fast became my favorite author.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Adams_BJ wrote:

I like fantasy, not a huge fan of sci fi novels, which is strange as I enjoy sci fi movies/games.

am I strange?
Fantasy used to encompass sci-fi before publishers created a new category, so a lot of the older books I have still bear the fantasy categorization. To me, a lot of sci-fi novels still tend to read like fantasy, so it still applies...

Point being, do you mean you hate hard sci-fi or all sci-fi?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Most sci fi and fantasy are money grabs
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
You're out of your mind. A decade ago you couldn't read sci-fi or fantasy in public without people giving you weird looks or sniggering. People did not write sci-fi or fantasy to make money, that's ludicrous.

It only changed with Harry Potter and the LotR movies.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

When did that change, exactly? All my life I could read sci-fi and fantasy in public without people giving me weird looks. And books with covers far more garish than the Harry Potter ones. I only remember the talk about weird looks and sniggering being directed at public Potter readers, but never saw any of it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4245
pulp fiction and dodgy fiction has always had a way bigger market in america than sci-fi or fantasy. those genres are mostly only maligned in academia. compared to most mass-market fiction they are still fairly 'intellectual' and 'artistically worthy', if you will. i think most people's shortcomings about fantasy is basically just a root-level prejudice about "fucking elves, man".
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

You're out of your mind. A decade ago you couldn't read sci-fi or fantasy in public without people giving you weird looks or sniggering. People did not write sci-fi or fantasy to make money, that's ludicrous.
Maybe in retardoworld, most other places are OK with either, and enough people have made money writing sci-fi that you're wrong.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

The novel resurgence of independent bookstores

Defying the onslaught of the e-book revolution, many small bookshops see a rise in sales, aided by savvy business practices and the 'buy local' movement.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 … bookstores
An old comic book place in my hometown converted to a bookstore. The comic place is owned by two very old retirees who own the building and run the store for some side money before going to bed in the apartment in the back. Was so happy to see it become a bookstore. Before it was a dark small place with a bad sign but they fixed it up very nicely for the new business. Super excited to spend all of my money there since Barnes and Noble is a long drive away.

I welcome this trend even if I'm not a fan of small businesses. Or at least until BnN open a closer branch.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

They have a certain charm to them. I like being able to walk into one and be surprised by a title I was not initially looking for. They're a lot more fun to browse than Amazon if you're not in a hurry, and don't usually look as homogenized as B&N.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard