FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

On China by Kissinger.

Unbelievable. Could've been extremely dry and boring, given the topic, but Kissinger's insights make it a very interesting read.

Highly recommend.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia

Shahter wrote:

going through the Dune series by Frank Herbert. fascinating stuff. very hard for someone with as poor english as mine, but i refuse to touch the so called "russian translations".
aaaand finished. it was awesome.
in the fiction department, King's Dark Tower is next.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

Shahter wrote:

Shahter wrote:

going through the Dune series by Frank Herbert. fascinating stuff. very hard for someone with as poor english as mine, but i refuse to touch the so called "russian translations".
aaaand finished. it was awesome.
in the fiction department, King's Dark Tower is next.
i've heard great things about that series. have fun. it's on my list as well.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
It's a very long series and drags a lot in parts, but it's quality overall. Wizard and Glass was my favorite book of the series.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
I heard Gordon Sumner is in it.
And graboids.
And Special Agent Cooper.
And Captain Picard.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State
Red Army by Ralph Peters on the recommendation of a russian

we will see how this goes

he's better than clancy by far, writing wise.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

3:30
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6466|6 6 4 oh, I forget

About 2/5 done of the Hobbitt. Reading a chapter each day before going to bed. I like it so far.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Re-read The Hobbit yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years. I mean it's an ok story, certainly not Tolkien's best work, and it had the annoying habit of jumping from one mini-story to the next while skipping a lot of the details. I just don't know how Peter Jackson is going to get 9 hours of movie out of a story that takes like 5 hours to read. I never really liked the Hobbit all that much compared to his later works, which is probably why I never bothered to re-read it until now. Oh well. I'd give it a 3.5/5.0
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

wow, i have not read any of these . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/books … s&_r=0
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Passage of Power is on my wish list. Never heard of the rest except for the Nate Silver book (in article, not on a list) which is also on my wish list.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Bought Eric Hobsbawm's Age of revolution series off of Amazon. Am just waiting for it to arrive now. I am currently reading 1848 a year of revolution. Am not too crazy about it. It was written by a college professor in the U.K. but comes off as something targeted for the average reader rather than someone looking for some serious analysis. I did buy it at BnN so that is my fault isn't it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Finished Ender's Game this morning at 4:30 AM... Damn good book. Have any of you read the sequels and prequels? Are they worth a damn or is it just Card trying to cash in on a popular standalone novel?

4.9/5 btw.
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6184|Roma
Reading Robinson Crusoe. It's actually a lot better than I thought it would be.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State
A sailor of Austria by John Biggins

quite good, imo... though he does have a thing for random coincidences.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Jay wrote:

Finished Ender's Game this morning at 4:30 AM... Damn good book. Have any of you read the sequels and prequels? Are they worth a damn or is it just Card trying to cash in on a popular standalone novel?

4.9/5 btw.
I've read a few. I prefer the original, but some of the others are fine. You've got nothing to lose by pressing on.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Came in the mail today
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/47545/2014.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DMUVZ.gif
Not looking forward to reading the Inferno. It is one of a few books I have to read since I'm taking a class about how different societies have viewed and dealt with death. Very much looking forward to the setting sun. It is by Osamu Dazai who is considered to be one of Japan's best 20th century fiction writers and the setting sun one of his best books. Never really dealt with Japanese lit even though I'm familiar enough with the movies and other stuff that crosses the Pacific. The book sounds pretty interesting I think.
Novel by Dazai Osamu, published in 1947 as Shayo. It is a tragic, vividly painted story of life in postwar Japan. The narrator is Kazuko, a young woman born to gentility but now impoverished. Though she wears Western clothes, her outlook is Japanese; her life is static, and she recognizes that she is spiritually empty. In the course of the novel she survives the deaths of her aristocratic mother and her sensitive, drug-addicted brother Naoji, an intellectual ravaged by his own and by society's spiritual failures. She also spends a sad, sordid night with the dissipated writer Uehara, and she conceives a child in the hope that it will be the first step in a moral revolution.
So what you bought lately or are looking forward to?!
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Jay wrote:

4.9/5 btw.
Yep. The spin-off books about Bean are actually better than the sequels, which aren't bad, but aren't as good as the first.

Reading the e-novellas of the Koontz "Odd Thomas" series, then will follow up with the latest full novel "Odd Apocalypse." I really love the snarky, sarcastic first person style of these.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Brasso
+1,549|6623

just finished A Dance with Dragons. i can't fucking wait for The Winds of Winter. is anyone else up to date with the ASOIAF series? let's talk.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
In the middle of book two :d
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Brasso wrote:

just finished A Dance with Dragons. i can't fucking wait for The Winds of Winter. is anyone else up to date with the ASOIAF series? let's talk.
Feeling sad because Spoiler (highlight to read):
Jon died?

Then re-read the prolouge.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6615|Little Bentcock
2 brothers.

https://arntrnassets.mediaspanonline.com/radio/t01/577159/2Brothers.jpg

Finished it about a week ago. Dunno how I feel about it, I know I enjoyed it a lot, and was sad to put it down. But the ending seemed rushed, or perhaps missing something. I can't put my finger on it.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Brasso wrote:

Yes.

Just started Follett's "Winter of the World." Great so far...as expected.
― Albert Einstein

Brasso
+1,549|6623

FEOS wrote:

Brasso wrote:

Yes.

oh my roommate is reading "World Without End." have you read that one? i recognized the author's name.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Brasso wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Brasso wrote:

Yes.

oh my roommate is reading "World Without End." have you read that one? i recognized the author's name.
Yep. This is the next one in the series.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard